THRESHOLD: Legends Of The Shires

Torn2Shreds

Jan 3, 2005
New Jersey

British Progressive icons THRESHOLD have announced their new album ‘Legends Of The Shires’ will be released via Nuclear Blast on 8th September. Today the band unveiled the first single from the release, the ultra-prog epic ‘ Lost In Translation’ which has a song length of over ten minutes! Commented Threshold’s Richard West “We’ve made a monster of an album so we thought we should release a monster of a single! This epic really showcases the many sides of our sound and is a great prelude to our album release “

Legends Of The Shires will be the band’s eleventh studio album and their first ever double album; it also features Glynn Morgan back on vocal duties for the first time since 1996.

Check out the ethereal album artwork above by Russian artist Elena Dudina. Speaking about the artwork Richard West commented “I love it when a cover tells you what sort of record you’re buying. This one really shouts “progressive” and reminds me of some of the classic prog albums from the 20th century.”

‘LEGENDS OF THE SHIRES’ TRACKLIST
CD 1:
1. The Shire (Part 1) 2:03
2. Small Dark Lines 5:24
3. The Man Who Saw Through Time 11:51
4. Trust The Process 8:44
5. Stars And Satellites 7:20
6. On The Edge 5:20

CD 2:
7. The Shire (Part 2) 5:24
8. Snowblind 7:03
9. Subliminal Freeways 4:51
10. State Of Independence 3:37
11. Superior Machine 5:01
12. The Shire (Part 3) 1:22
13. Lost In Translation 10:20
14. Swallowed 3:54

Song is great - sounds like typical Threshold. What they do - they do well. I am happy to hear that Glynn sounds great as he was/is my fav Threshold vocalist. Looking forward to this one.

Brand

thresholdalbumjuly.jpg

These guys haven't played at ProgPower USA since 2007. Glynn is their second vocalist and was on only two previous Threshold albums: 1994's Psychedelicatessen and 1995's Livedelica. Fast forward to 2017. Glynn will be on his first Threshold album in 22 years, and that album is to be released on September 8 which, BTW, is day 3 of the ProgPower USA festival exactly 10 years after Threshold's last appearance. Coincidence? I think not. I smell a 2017 listening party and/or appearance at 2018 ProgPower USA. Of course, I'm not privvy to any inside information and this is pure speculation on my part...

These guys haven't played at ProgPower USA since 2007. Glynn is their second vocalist and was on only two previous Threshold albums: 1994's Psychedelicatessen and 1995's Livedelica. Fast forward to 2017. Glynn will be on his first Threshold album in 22 years, and that album is to be released on September 8 which, BTW, is day 3 of the ProgPower USA festival exactly 10 years after Threshold's last appearance. Coincidence? I think not. I smell a 2017 listening party and/or appearance at 2018 ProgPower USA. Of course, I'm not privvy to any inside information and this is pure speculation on my part...

I agree 100%! Time for Threshold to return to ProgPower USA in 2018!!

Reactions: NorseBlood

This is what I was hoping for!! Threshold leaning a bit more towards their power side... With Karl Groom handling all the guitar duties this time around, it gives off a Dead Reckoning feel... Glynn Morgan's powerful vocals are so welcomed!! A good sign that he will do real well with the "Mac Era" material... Can't wait to get this disc at PPUSA!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: NorseBlood

This is what I was hoping for!! Threshold leaning a bit more towards their power side... With Karl Groom handling all the guitar duties this time around, it gives off a Dead Reckoning feel... Glynn Morgan's powerful vocals are so welcomed!! A good sign that he will do real well with the "Mac Era" material... Can't wait to get this disc at PPUSA!!!

I think Glynn will allow some of the Mac songs to be performed at the level they were meant to again. Damian was a phenomenal singer but his style doesn't have much grit or gravel and the Mac songs often require that. Some of Glynn's lines on this new song sound like how Mac would have delivered them but with more aggression and general metal attitude. That very last howl is almost identical to some of the ones Mac did, e.g. "THIS MEANS WAR!"

LONG overdue for Threshold to return to Progpower! Would love to see Threshold AND Nocturnal Rites on the roster for 2018.

Both of the songs released thus far sound really good and I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the album. Since the release date is September 8, I'm hoping it will be available from the merchandise vendors as this is near the top of my list of albums to get.

Threshold just posted two live videos on their official YouTube Channel - clips from their first show with Glynn Morgan back at the helm...

Threshold just posted two live videos on their official YouTube Channel - clips from their first show with Glynn Morgan back at the helm...

Rich has stated in interviews, in accordance with my own viewpoint too, that Glynn is fairly similar to Mac stylistically. I am not surprised to see the setlist concentrate mainly on Mac's songs and I can say I'm very happy with Glynn's performance.

What can I say that has not been said. Glynn was always my favorite and still is for Threshold. This disc is a joy to listen to. The melodies are there, crystal clear production, Glynn, plays safe but sounds great doing so. I love this cd. Little too long for my liking but otherwise a very solid release and can't wait to hear what is next for them. Nice job here.

Brand