Tolkien

Southern Man I Am

Fiend Club
Jul 16, 2002
Haysi, VA
Visit site
What are some great Tolkien related Metal Bands. By that I mean bands that write songs about Lord of the Rings and stuff like that. I know Blind Guardian is a big one but I want more. Also good Lord of the Rings concept albums.

The Austrian Summoning!!!!!!!!
All of their lyrics are from Tolkien's books.....
Their music is more into black metal with much keys, but they are very epic also....
Recomened albums: "Minas Morgul" and their latest "Let mortals sing their fame"

The band Summoning is the best Tolkien related band there is. They lack the cheese the others so proudly display.

Yes, Summoning are probably the best there is!!

The band Rivendell are Tolkien inspired, I've heard a couple of songs and they're not bad.

Others that might have some Tolkien lyrics are: Amon Amarth, Gorgoroth, Isengard, Ephel Duath, Lothlorien. I only say might since they have Tolkien inspired names, but I've never really checked out the lyrics.

Nightwish have a couple of songs with Tolkien references in, "Elvenpath" is one of them, don't remember the other.

I'm pretty sure the band Morgana Lefay wrote mostly about Tolkien, though I've only heard one song which is called "Lord of The Rings"...it's, interesting if nothing else.

Also, Burzum have a very good song called "En Ring Til aa Herske", which I think means "One ring to rule them all", which is obviously Tolkien related, though I don't know to what extent the lyrics are.

Tolkien rules :cool: I'm sure I've heard more.

Originally posted by Doom

Others that might have some Tolkien lyrics are: Amon Amarth, Gorgoroth, Isengard, Ephel Duath, Lothlorien. I only say might since they have Tolkien inspired names, but I've never really checked out the lyrics.

There are two bands named Isengard. Avoid the power metal entity at all costs....*shakes head in disbelief as Isengard CD is dropped into the bin*

Summoning are indeed the best Tolien related outthere, and Rivendell are very good too.. In fact Rivendell is members from Falchenbach, who has made such a project...

Also Burzum are kind of Tolkien possessed, and Burzum does actually means "darkness" in the language of Mordor... Check the ring inscription under this message...

Cheers...

Originally posted by Wanderingblade
Amon Amarth are not Tolkien related. Viking with grudge against Christians...

Amon Amarth is the Gondorian name for Mount Doom where Sauron forged the ring, so they must of had some interest in Tolkiens works.

Originally posted by ~UlvedaL~
Also Burzum are kind of Tolkien possessed, and Burzum does actually means "darkness" in the language of Mordor... Check the ring inscription under this message...

And Varg used to be known as Count Grishnakh, Grishnakh being the name of one of the Orcs in Lord of The Rings, so I guess that's where he got it from.

A stupid amount of bands used Tolkein as inspiration for their names, even ones you wouldn't have thought. It's pretty much a pre-requesite to be a grim black metal or fantasy-style power metal band that your name be somehow Tokein-related. Just about every plain, every mountain, ever obscure as fuck character has a band named after them.

Apotheosis are inspired from Tolkiens work too; I think... The main-mind, and only member, is called Sauron, and the cover is scripted with elfrunes, but I only have the promo (of "Farthest from the sun"), so I can´t tell you of the lyrics...

Originally posted by The Reverend
A stupid amount of bands used Tolkein as inspiration for their names, even ones you wouldn't have thought. It's pretty much a pre-requesite to be a grim black metal or fantasy-style power metal band that your name be somehow Tokein-related. Just about every plain, every mountain, ever obscure as fuck character has a band named after them.

:lol: ....Gandalf RIP.

Could be worse though - the next gen of metallers could be wanking off to that closet homosexual Harry Potter and his magic "wand".

Rush have two Tolkien insprired songs.
On "Fly by night" They have "Rivendel" and on "Caress of steel" they have "The necromancer"

Nightwish has a Tolkien song called Elven Path. I'm not sure if they do more stuff.

During the song it talks about the rings of power and a really cool part that goes
"and then the dark lord learned the craft of ringmaking, and created the master!"

=P