Top Metal/Rock guitarist of all times

J-Man

Old as Yoda
Jan 11, 2005
Texas
Okay, there was a thread for top vocalists so let's see where this leads, and who is named on the lists, you can name 5,10,15, but no more than 20 if you have that many favorites. Now this is not for the fastest, or flashy, just the ones that go out show after show and deliever.

My List in no particular order:

Dave Hill(Slade)
Malek Ben Arbia
Drew Creel
CJ Grimmack
Marcus Jidell
Emmpu Vuorinen
Peter Hallgren
Angus Clark
Al Pitrelli
John West(yes same as the singer)
Mattias "IA" Eklundh
Thomas Youngblood
Bernie Versailles
Christian Wentz/Marc Patterson
Mats Haugen

Yikes....too many to choose from....!
I'll settle on Ritchie Blackmore and Paul Gilbert...a couple of my all-time faves.
I have to agree with Force10, though....Vai is the best I've ever seen live....he's a freakin' alien.

And, lest I forget, the ultimate riff-monster.....Tony Iommi

Quickly, off the top of my head....

Mattias Eklundh
Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal
Steve Vai
Mike Keneally
Chris Godin (Morglbl)
CJ Grimmark
Eddie Van Halen
Randy Rhoads
Paul Gilbert
Jason Becker
Tore O.
Jeff Waters
John Petrucci
Alex Beryrdt
Joe Satriani
I'm sure I'll be adding to this.....:Smokedev:

Vai is God.

But... The last guitarist to really change the way the guitar was played was EVH. And he will always be my biggest influence.

A few of my favorites are:

Steve Vai
Jeff Loomis
Chris Broderick
Eddie Van Halen
Nuno Bettencourt
Christopher Amott
Jorn Viggo Lofstad
Richie Kotzen
John Petrucci
John Sykes
Adrian Smith
Marco Sfogli
Doug Aldrich
Kiko Loureiro
Guthrie Govan
Akira Takasaki
Per Nilsson

Much like Ronnie James Dio towers above every other vocalist on my top singer list, there is one name that will always come to my lips when mentioning favorite guitarists: Michael Schenker. The tone, feeling, and sense of melody in his playing will forever make him my favorite, even if he's been something of a punchline over the last 10+ years.

After Schenker, the following are players that I think deserve mention:

Gary Moore
Alex Skolnick
David Gilmour
Joe Satriani
Keiko Loureiro
Rafael Bittencourt
Chris Poland
Marty Friedman
Tore Ostby
Matthias Jabs
Uli Jon Roth

I'm sure there's several more I'm not thinking of, but that's a pretty damn good start.

Not a guitar expert by any means, but here are some guitarists that I really like and find unique...

1. Huw Lloyd Llangton (Hawkwind)

Bernie Torme' (Gillan et al.)
Bernie Marsden (Whitesnake)
Michael Amott
Steve Rothery (Marillion)
Bill Steer (Firebird, Carcass)
Eddie Clark
Chris Amott

Just off the top of my head, and in no certain order except for #1
1.Chris Oliva(loved his tone)
2.Michael Romeo
3.Randy Rhodes
4.Jorn Viggo Loffstad
5.Thorpe/Mcgee(Vicious Rumors)
6.John Sykes
7.Henny/Stefan(Primal Fear)
8.Gus G.
9.George Lynch

05. John Norum
04. Jeff Loomis (love his crushing tone)
03. Tony Iommi
02. Jake E Lee
01. Criss Oliva

There are many, many great guitarist, but the above 5 have always stood out to me. John Norum being the most underrated imo.

~Brian~

Steve Rothery (Marillion)

Very underrated. I've really enjoyed his playing for a very long time now. Crap. 30 years? Shit.

Vai is amazing, but you know, I never listen to his music. I have to go with the guitarists I listen to the most. Problem is, it's still hard to pick one. Many good ones in their own ways.

Well, this is interesting. My list would go as followed:

Absolute favorite top of my list: Jeff Waters (Annihilator) yea yea yea, surprise surprise, go to hell, :lol:
Second favorite is not just one, but two, and in my opinion, the GREATEST and one of the most underrated duo's in metal: Glenn Tipton and K.K. Downing. Sure, they get a lot of credit on their own, but rarely as a duo. They are unstoppable.

Next, in no particular order:

Criss Oliva
Jeff Loomis
Dave Mustaine
Alex Lifeson
Wolf Hoffman
Tony Iommi
Murray/Smith (fuck Janick)
Alexi Laiho
Mattias IA Eklundh
Chuck Schuldiner
Jon Schaffer
Devin Townsend
Kai Hansen
Larry Lalonde (Primus)

a) Eddie Van Halen
b) Glen Tipton
c) Yngwie Malmsteen
d) Tony Iomi
e) Criss Oliva
f) Ritchie Blackmore
g) Andre Olbrich
h) Randy Rhoads
i) Luca Turilli
j) Chriss Impelliteri

This is much tougher than the vocalists, but I'll try as best I can.

1. David Gilmour - He may not be flashy or fast, but goddamn no one has the tone and feel to a guitar like he does.
2. John Petrucci - Probably the best current prog/metal guitarist period.
3. Tony Iommi - Do I really need to explain this one? Metal guitar wouldn't be what it is today without him.
4. Jimi Hendrix - Some say he's overrated, but I don't. There are few past and present that can play the guitar like him.
5. Eddie Van Halen - Basically same as Jimi.
6. Yngwie Malmsteen - Say what you will about his writing abilities, there are very few with the ability that Yngwie has, and I would have to say he probably is the best live guitarist I've seen.
7. Kai Hansen - Totally underrated in my opinion. Maybe people just take him for granted on this forum but the guy knows his way around the instrument. Not only that, but he makes metal fun like it's supposed to be.
8. Dave Mustaine - Best thrash metal player period.
9. Joe Satriani - I'm not terribly familiar with most of his material, but I can't dispute his ability to play. He too has a killer tone.
10. Team Judas Priest - They aren't the most technical of players, but they are the best at the dual attack and just writing riffs for that matter.