Top Ten 2005 as today.

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Well people already on month 8th, so I guess that even with the zillion CDs awaiting until Dec 31, we can already shuffle some names, ain't it?
  1. Sabaton – “Primo Victoria”
  2. Bruce Dickinson – “Tyranny Of Souls”
  3. Masterplan – “Aeronautics”
  4. Candlemass – “Candlemass”
  5. Demons & Wizards – “Touched By The Crimson King”
  6. Redemption – “The Fullness Of Time”
  7. Astral Doors – “Evil Is Forever”
  8. Cryonic Temple – “In Thy Power”
  9. Hammerfall – “Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken”
  10. Dream Theater – “Octavarium”
Of course I can get some more shuffling in the next coouple of months with Alice Cooper, Rata Blanca, Space Odyssey, Allen/Lande, Cathedral, Stream Of Passion and more coming, plus good re-spin of some other 2005 material.

well im ashamed, but i dont think ive gotten 10 cds that came out this year...been working on my older power metal. but outa the ones i did get...

1: Tyranny Of Souls- Bruce Dickinson
2: Chapter V- Hammerfall
3: Touched By The Crimson King- Demons And Wizards
4: Liquid Monster- Brainstorm
5: Black Halo- Kamelot

-----ive typed a full review of tyranny of souls for anyone thinking of gettin the album and wants to see it----

im gonna be picking up nevermore soon, and will review that as well for sixxswine and anyone else who wants it.

I've not picked up much new stuff but the 2 that I really like so far are--

1. Axenstar - The Inquisition
2. Sabaton – Primo Victoria

Wyvern said:
Masterplan – “Aeronautics”
Astral Doors – “Evil Is Forever”

Dream Theater – “Octavarium”

Hammerfall – “Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken”

I've still to get a copy of the Masterplan disc!:cry:
I have a copy of the Atral Doors disc, but haven't gave it mant spins...I have to revisit that! I forgot about DT! Shame on me! I'm still on the fence over the new Hammerfall record... It has it's moments...

Brainstorm Liquid Monster
Nevermore This Godless Endevour
Cryonic Temple In Thy Power
Black Majesty Silent COmpany
Wizard Fire And Blood
Darkane Layers Of Lies
SYL Alien
BLack Dahlia Murder Miamsa

As you can see Im a very varied metal kinda guy.

Redemption -- The Fullness of Time
Nevermore -- Godless Endeavor (I'm *not* much of a Nevermore fan but this kicks!)
Scar Symmetry -- Symmetric in Design
Brainstorm -- Liquid Monster

Those are the four biggies. There's a bunch of other stuff that I'm playing catch up with from Symphorce and Manticora and a few others but that's all back catalog stuff. I expect the new Symphorce to be there early in September

1) Soul Mover - Glenn Hughes
2) Pale Haunt Departure - Novembers Doom
3) Deadwing - Porcupine Tree
4) Fused - Iommi/Hughes
5) Candlemass - Candlemass
6) Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
7) Bruce Dickinson - Tyranny

and I have HIGH hopes for "The Ghost Reveries" by Opeth, to be released later this month. If single "The Grand Conjuration" is a true reflection of what's in store, I think we're sitting on the best of the year.

Biggest disappointment: the awful Priest record.

01 Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
02 Kamelot - The Black Halo
03 Redemption - The Fullness Of Time
04 Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic: Calling
05 Spheric Universe Experience - Mental Torments
06 Biomechanical - The Empires Of The Worlds
07 Kreator - Enemy Of God
08 Communic - Conspiracy In Mind
09 Sabaton - Primo Victoria
10 Bruce Dickinson - Tyranny Of Souls
11 Russell Allen - Atomic Soul
12 Dew Scented - Issue VI
13 Space Odyssey - The Astral Episode
14 Beyond Twilight - Section X
15 Cloudscape - Cloudscape
16 Masterplan - Aeronautics

Surprises of the year:

Redemption, Spheric Universe Experience and Communic.

I guess its no surprise that the Nevermore album tops my list. I am pretty predictable that way.

I am a bit disappointed in the Masterplan album. It has grown since I first heard it but its still not as solid as the first one and I find it a bit generic.

I have the feeling that this is one of the strongest years for metal I ever have experienced. I am now eagerly awaiting the new Sieges Even album!!

----------------
:edit: I completly forgot the fantastic new Pagan's Mind album. :cry:
So I edited my list.
----------------

No Priest folks? ;)

Ok, my favorites so far :

Kreator - Enemy of God
Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
Beyond Twilight - Section X
Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution
Communic - Conspiracy in Mind
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Strapping Young Lad - Alien

Followers :

Shaaman - Reason
Force of Evil - Black Empire
Astral Doors - Evil is Forever
Bruce Dickinson - Tyranny of Souls
Rob Rock - Holy Hell
Starbreaker - Starbreaker
Masterplan - Aeronautics
Dew-Scented - Issue VI

I still have to spin the latest Nevermore, Candlemass, and Lefay albums a little bit more... Not heard these Shadow Gallery and Biomechanical records yet. Too much stuff, so little time!

Big disapointments : Running Wild, Overkill, Hammerfall
Other disapointments : Grave Digger, Brainstorm, Circle II Circle

Octavarium - DT
ReliXIV - Overkill
Liquid Monster - Brainstorm
Tage Mahal - Jon Oliva's Pain
Celestial Entrance - Pagan's Mind

Top five for now.

Hawk said:
07 Communic - Conspiracy In Mind
13 Beyond Twilight - Section X
14 Cloudscape - Cloudscape

Crud! I forgot all about those. That bumps me up to eight, total. Thanks Man!

I absolutely hate the Biomechanical. I don't know what it is but it just drives me nuts trying to listen to it. Just not my cup of tea I guess. The Kreator is a bit of a tough listen for me as well. I put it away for a bit and plan on giving it a second go in a coupla weeks.

Hawk said:
07 Communic - Conspiracy In Mind
13 Beyond Twilight - Section X
14 Cloudscape - Cloudscape

Wheezer said:
Crud! I forgot all about those. That bumps me up to eight, total. Thanks Man!

No problemo WeezzzMan! :)

Wheezer said:
I absolutely hate the Biomechanical. I don't know what it is but it just drives me nuts trying to listen to it. Just not my cup of tea I guess. The Kreator is a bit of a tough listen for me as well. I put it away for a bit and plan on giving it a second go in a coupla weeks.

Different strokes for different folks. If you like your metal progressive now and then you might like "Spheric Universe Experience - Mental Torments" !

Hey Soundmaster, I haven't heard that new Porcupine Tree yet. Good? (though I guess it must be since you put it on your list...) Still, what's it like? I don't have the foggiest why I haven't bought it yet, but I've picked up in the store a few times only to put it down again for something else. Go figure. I do love them though.

ElectricWiz said:
I'll post my list later, but nobody mentioned Saxon's Lionheart...? That's on there for me for sure.

Sorry that was on my 2004 top list. I guess you got it until this year.

Fangface said:
No Priest folks? ;)

No, they are in the top 20 but not 10. I'm kinda of dissapointed with their comeback, better than Megadeth of Metal Church but much bland that you expect from the Metal Gods, I prefer Death Angel or Candlemass as a comeback any given day.

No-Mercy said:
well im ashamed, but i dont think ive gotten 10 cds that came out this year...been working on my older power metal. but outa the ones i did get...

No sweat, I did the same last year. As a matter fo fact the haul after my actual one has to be old stuff I didn't check on the heyday.

Opeth - The Ghost Reveries (got it Friday, it fucking rules)
Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic: Calling
Starbreaker - s/t
Soul Sirkus - World Play
Russell Allen - Atomic Soul
Redemption - Fullness of Time
Iron Mask - Hordes of the Brave
Nevermore - TGE
Flotsam and Jetsam - Dreams of Death

I also have new Priest, Biomechanical, Kreator, DT, Bruce Dickinson, Candlemass, and D & W, but I think they're ALL weak.

Looking forward to the new Exodus album due out 10/5. They've finally got a great singer, and Bostaph on drums....look out.

Hawk said:
Different strokes for different folks. If you like your metal progressive now and then you might like "Spheric Universe Experience - Mental Torments" !

Oh definitely different strokes and "hate" was a too strong. It does drive me nuts though. :) Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look around for that one.

ElectricWiz said:
Hey Soundmaster, I haven't heard that new Porcupine Tree yet. Good? (though I guess it must be since you put it on your list...) Still, what's it like? I don't have the foggiest why I haven't bought it yet, but I've picked up in the store a few times only to put it down again for something else. Go figure. I do love them though.

It is, of course, more greatness from Steven Wilson.
I'd say it's a fair mix of "in Absentia" and some of their late 90s, more progressive stuff (have you heard the record "Recordings"?). Imagine such a mix.

Some of the songs are heavy as hell....it's amazing to see them move down this road....such a difference from their early records.

And, of course, there are the beautiful, totally heart-wrenching ballady type songs that only Wilson can pen. The man is a genius.

If you liked "In Absentia", you'll love this. It's darker than the last few albums, as well....Opeth really have rubbed off on Steven!!