Van Halen on Billboard Music Awards Show

VenomGA

At War With Stan
Jul 28, 2005
Thoughts on Van Halen's performance on the Billboard Music Awards Show???

I agree that the band sounded great. EVH is really at his best right now, IMO. He seems invigorated and is playing his ass off. He seems to be in a really good place.

DLR has always been a train wreck. The Billboard performance was really pretty good, although nowadays you really need to be about 30 minutes into the VH set before DLR hits full steam.

VH will be closing on my Prog Power weekend. My ears areg oing to need traction.

There was a time where I wanted Dvid Lee Roth back in Van Halen so bad. Although I like Sammy Hagar solo and in Montrose, I was never a big fan of his work in VH. The first four VH albums in DLR were game changers, and I never got to see VH with DLR back in the day. So, I find it pretty amazing that now I want nothing more than for DLR to leave VH. Nothing wrong with his showmanship, but he needs to at least make an attempt to sing the songs. His off time talking through the songs completely ruins it for me.

Maybe it is time that VH goes the Journey (and countless others) route and just gets a young person who sounds like Dave did in the 70's. While Dave was always a much stronger showman than technical performer, they are just awful live.

Blah, blah, blah.....so much complainin'. Dave and Eddie ARE Van Halen...if either one is missing, it just isn't Van Halen.
I'm pretty sure most people here would rather see Rob Halford croak through classic Priest tunes in concert instead of hearing Ripper Owens sing them flawlessly. Priest without Halford is just not the same...just like Van Halen and Dave...good or bad, you gots to have Roth!!!!

Maybe it is time that VH goes the Journey (and countless others) route and just gets a young person who sounds like Dave did in the 70's. While Dave was always a much stronger showman than technical performer, they are just awful live.

Well, the Journey situation is a little different. They went through several other vocalists who were not Steve Perry clones before they went with the off-shore option. IMO, they should have gone with Hugo if they were going to embrace their "classic" sound once again.

With VH, at this point, I don't think there is a real burning desire to come up with new stuff and have a to train a hotshot, younger vocalist. Remember, they key members of this band are all in their 60s. It is entirely possible this will be their last tour, and their may never be another new studio release.

And quite honestly, what would be the point? I don't think that getting a new vocalist at this juncture would do anything but hurt them. No matter how good or bad one thinks Roth's performance is, the people have spoken and they want Dave. The last new album did ok, and the stuff they have in the live set tours well, but they don't need new product to tour. They have plenty of material as it is to tour until they turn to dust.

Blah, blah, blah.....so much complainin'. Dave and Eddie ARE Van Halen...if either one is missing, it just isn't Van Halen.

Van Halen is whatever Ed and Alex say it is. When they were in the honeymoon phase, VH was Hagar and Halen. But at the same time, you know, it wasn't. I prefer my VH as close to the original lineup as possible, and Sammy is just fine (and better) on his own.

I'm pretty sure most people here would rather see Rob Halford croak through classic Priest tunes in concert instead of hearing Ripper Owens sing them flawlessly. Priest without Halford is just not the same...just like Van Halen and Dave

Well, I had to sit through a set of Halford croaking out the oldies and I won't ever do that again. I don't have any emotional investment in Priest at all, so Ripper covering their old stuff or doing Jugulator is fine with me.

...good or bad, you gots to have Roth!!!!

And to be sure, every gig with him will have plenty of both good and bad!

I'm pretty sure most people here would rather see Rob Halford croak through classic Priest tunes in concert instead of hearing Ripper Owens sing them flawlessly. Priest without Halford is just not the same...just like Van Halen and Dave...good or bad, you gots to have Roth!!!!

Difference is Halford can still sing....Honestly, DLR was NEVER a good singer. He was more about the Schtick than singing...now he can;t even do the Schtick correctly...and tiny, infant Jesus...What the hell was DLR wearing???:popcorn:

And to be sure, every gig with him will have plenty of both good and bad!

No doubt!
I make no bones about me being a big fan of Dave, but I'm not under any illusion that he's a great singer....he's not, and never has been. With Dave, though, I don't care....he's the Clown Prince of Rock n' Roll. I dig that he doesn't give a crap about what people think is "cool" or not, he just does what he does with no apologies. And that's the vibe he's always given Van Halen, which I love.

Difference is Halford can still sing....Honestly, DLR was NEVER a good singer. He was more about the Schtick than singing...now he can;t even do the Schtick correctly...and tiny, infant Jesus...What the hell was DLR wearing???:popcorn:

Thing is, I think Dave could sing if he wanted to. His singing was fine on "A Different Kind of Truth." I would give him a little more slack if I thought his voice was completely shot, but I don't think it is. He just doesn't care. If he doesn't care even a little bit about his singing in a live atmosphere, than why should I?

Thing is, I think Dave could sing if he wanted to. His singing was fine on "A Different Kind of Truth." I would give him a little more slack if I thought his voice was completely shot, but I don't think it is. He just doesn't care.

but how many takes was that???