Virgin Black in the USA... go see them, PLEASE!

LORD DARKSOUL

Welcum 2 my funeral
Has anyone seen them on their current US tour? I saw them infront of (literally) FIVE people the other night in New Orleans... great for me, but horrible for them! I'm pretty sure my friend and I were the only people who were actually there because they liked the bands, as it seems that this was just the normal local hangout for the other 3 or 4 paying people who were in attendance.

Virgin Black played a show just for me, and it was INTENSE. I've been a huge fan of theirs ever since "Sombre Romantic" and their music gets filled with more SORROW and MELANCHOLY with each passing release. The new album is so morose that it's almost too difficult to even listen to... it's something that should perhaps only be played at a funeral. I have to give it up to these guys for being so gracious to play their hearts out and cool to hang out before and after their set despite the less than favorable circumstances that they're facing on the road. They're pushing the envelope of DARKNESS further than perhaps any band recording music right now, and it's a shame that it's going completely unnoticed.

Do Virgin Black, myself, and YOURSELF a favor by seeing them on this tour with To/Die/For, as they could really use the support and it's sad to see such an inventive and sincere band playing for no one else but the bands they're touring with. Drag out all of your friends and pick up some merch, too!

http://www.myspace.com/virginblackofficial

July
2 Austin, TX @ Room 710
3 San Antonio, TX @Bond 007
5 Arlington, TX @ Dreamworld
7 San Diego, CA @ Dream Street Live
8 Hollywood, CA @The Knitting Factory
9 San Francisco, CA @ DNA Lounge
10 Seattle, WA @El Corazon
11 Salt Lake City, UT @ Club Vegas
12 Colorado Springs, CO @ Union Station (6pm)

To/Die/For - Shatter Messiah - Virgin Black - Epicurean
July
14 Maplewood, MN @The Rock
15 Cudahy, WI @ Vnuks

Hell yeah...saw them a few months back here in Aus, and they were incredible! So amazingly intense live... The room was packed...but this could have had something to do with the fact that they were supporting a band some of you might know called Arcturus.. :p

(Quick plug: The guitarist with long curly black hair on stage rights name is Mark Kelson, frontman of the band The Eternal. He produced Rainshadow's (heavily Katatonia inspired band that i play guitar in) demo and upcoming album! Check us out!)

Hell yeah...saw them a few months back here in Aus, and they were incredible! So amazingly intense live... The room was packed...but this could have had something to do with the fact that they were supporting a band some of you might know called Arcturus.. :p

(Quick plug: The guitarist with long curly black hair on stage rights name is Mark Kelson, frontman of the band The Eternal. He produced Rainshadow's (heavily Katatonia inspired band that i play guitar in) demo and upcoming album! Check us out!)

Good stuff, sir. The tunes from the full length sounds great. I had the pleasure of hanging out with Mark quite a bit last night... super fun guy! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I want to make out with Shiralee from The Chalice.

Take a number.

If she were to see my dance moves and sexy new PEDO STACHE (I've had it for maybe 20 minutes now) she'd be taking a number to make out with ME!

pedo1.jpg

I could go out to California...but no way I'd be able to get the days off...That's only for Katatonia...They are worth quitting or getting fired. :)

I'm not sure The End really gave this tour a push....or even push Virgin Black as much as they should be. With the right label this band could be huge.

LordDarkSoul, I couldn't possibly agree MORE with everything you have said in your post. To me, Virgin Black is one of the finest bands around. They are in my top 10. no doubt about it.

With that said, YES, I have seen them. There was NO WAY I was going to miss out on this one. Heck, I'd give an arm and a leg to see these guys - their music just means so much.

I have seen them BOTH times in Canada - London and Toronto, Ontario. The London show didn't quite have 10 people there. Probably like 7 or 8 people. Like LordDarkSoul, I had the experience of this band pretty much playing just for me - in fact, that's what Rowan even told me when I ran into him *ahem* in the bathroom while I was leaving - he was brushing his teeth. I'm like, "damn, you're Rowan aren't you?" He's like...."mrrmmarrghhghhmmm." Haha, hilarious. I was so delighted to meet this guy - he has my HIGHEST respect for his compositions and vocal ability. Anyway, I talked to him about the tour and how they were kinda srewed over in Canada with the impromptu shows. I told him I hope the turnout for the show is decent...he's like, well, if not we'll play just for you guys then. Samantha took a picture of the 6 Virgin Black fans that showed up. Good stuff.
The Toronto show had something I'd say of about 40-50 people. It was nice to finally see a few others headbanging to the show as I did. And damn...Rowan kinda freaked me out as it seemed he looked straight at me during his performance. He's so serious and his presence on stage is downright evil....amazing.

:headbang: Too much to say, but I've been to many shows in the past and I can honestly say no show has ever impressed me as much as the Virgin Black shows I've attended. Fucking flawless performance by the guys - stunning in every way. Just...so powerful. I cannot wait to see them again.

LordDarkSoul, I couldn't possibly agree MORE with everything you have said in your post. To me, Virgin Black is one of the finest bands around. They are in my top 10. no doubt about it.

With that said, YES, I have seen them. There was NO WAY I was going to miss out on this one. Heck, I'd give an arm and a leg to see these guys - their music just means so much.

I have seen them BOTH times in Canada - London and Toronto, Ontario. The London show didn't quite have 10 people there. Probably like 7 or 8 people. Like LordDarkSoul, I had the experience of this band pretty much playing just for me - in fact, that's what Rowan even told me when I ran into him *ahem* in the bathroom while I was leaving - he was brushing his teeth. I'm like, "damn, you're Rowan aren't you?" He's like...."mrrmmarrghhghhmmm." Haha, hilarious. I was so delighted to meet this guy - he has my HIGHEST respect for his compositions and vocal ability. Anyway, I talked to him about the tour and how they were kinda srewed over in Canada with the impromptu shows. I told him I hope the turnout for the show is decent...he's like, well, if not we'll play just for you guys then. Samantha took a picture of the 6 Virgin Black fans that showed up. Good stuff.
The Toronto show had something I'd say of about 40-50 people. It was nice to finally see a few others headbanging to the show as I did. And damn...Rowan kinda freaked me out as it seemed he looked straight at me during his performance. He's so serious and his presence on stage is downright evil....amazing.

:headbang: Too much to say, but I've been to many shows in the past and I can honestly say no show has ever impressed me as much as the Virgin Black shows I've attended. Fucking flawless performance by the guys - stunning in every way. Just...so powerful. I cannot wait to see them again.

Awesome... sounds like we had almost identical experiences! I showed up to the show at around 7, since I was driving quite a distance and that's the time the internet had listed... but I guess it was double booked so none of the bands on this tour started til around midnight? That gave me wayyyyyyyyy too much time to drink and I was all weepy and freaking out during VB's set. I was about 6 inches away from Rowan the whole time screaming along to every lyric. Everyone in the band was really cool, but Rowan was quite obviously not in a great mood between not having slept and playing for almost no one the previous few nights. Like you said, alot of BS with promoters etc... He seemed to sulk around quite a bit and not want to be bothered, I had a hard time even getting him to agree to take a photo with me! Rowan is SER BIZ, and a SERIOUS VAMPYRE SVPERSTAR!

I know they must be going broke so I spent around $100 in merch, and I think I'm the only person to have purchased anything? I got to talk to Samantha a bit and she was VERY appreciative (and I think quite flattered, haha) by all of my praises. When I'm krvnk I turn into the happiest and most complimenting gay-guy ever. I just hope I didnt say anything too retarded to anyone in the band, though I do remember when purchasing a shirt from Grayh towards the end of the night I was talking about how I needed to get one for my wife who has giant boobs while I immitated/exagerrated how big her boobs are, among other things.

I hope they liked the dance moves that I busted out during the other bands!
I got the impression that they thought I was a cool guy, but overall a bit nuts? Next time I won't ask them if they've had sex with dingos and that sort of thing. I think I told on of them that I was sorry for the loss of Steve Irwin, as he was not only a true asset to the people of Australia but to everyone in the world as well!

Here's Sam and I:

P8290135.jpg

:oops:

Awesome picture LordDarksoul! Thanks for sharing your experience, it was a good read. Same for Alcapoth. Any ideas where I can get that shirt between?

Virgin Black are a cool band, but I don't really feel any urge to go see them live. They should stick to just recording albums and forget the live show.