Voxengo plugins

slinky_

Mar 14, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Just bought Elephant and Crunchessor plugins, they fucking kill!

I still can´t understand why such a great limiter as Elephant costs only 59$ (not that it bothers me though). It really fucks L2 in the arse at least when squashing the track like hell. The tweakability rules also, there´s limiting modes from soft and transparent to total squashing.

There´s a clipping mode too, and that with oversampling set to "auto" the levels stay under 0db, sweet. It´s somewhat like timeworks mastering compressor. I did some comparison with these two. The snare was slightly more quiet in the elephant, but the overall feel was more punchy in the elephant too. Though just testing the snare level doesn´t indicate how badass the limiter is, it´s fun to do some comparison.

Crunchessor is a great compressor too. I was pretty confused first, because there were no treshold nor ratio controls. They are combined in the "drive" knob. Crunchessor also has many modes from clean to valve-like compressing.

I used to have demo versions of these babies a long time a go but didn´t put much effort in learning to use them, cause I thought they look dull at first :D Voxengo plugs are really fair play, updates come often, the guy who codes em, really listens to the customers (i think he added the ultra-fast attack/release mode to the crunchessor after some guy sais that it´s now as fast as the R-Comp).

Are there any other happy Voxengo users?

Yes, crunchessor is kind of cool but I wouldn't use it on everything because of its somewhat flabby character. Marquis compressor is much more flexible and versatile. Maybe too much. There's an awful lot of controls but I think it's a bang for the bucks.
As for elephant, I've yet to try it.
On the other hand, I can't understand the L2 bashing while most of the big mastering houses are still using it. You have to use it for what it's made for and with care. Sure It's not a clipper. Just my two cents.
If you're looking for a cheap clipper, check Gclip from Gvst, It's free, easy to use and efficient.

Yes, crunchessor is kind of cool but I wouldn't use it on everything because of its somewhat flabby character. Marquis compressor is much more flexible and versatile. Maybe too much. There's an awful lot of controls but I think it's a bang for the bucks.
As for elephant, I've yet to try it.
On the other hand, I can't understand the L2 bashing while most of the big mastering houses are still using it. You have to use it for what it's made for and with care. Sure It's not a clipper. Just my two cents.
If you're looking for a cheap clipper, check Gclip from Gvst, It's free, easy to use and efficient.

Yeah, I agree with you. People use L2 often in a "wrong" way, I admit pushing it way too hard too. Didn´t mean to bash L2 like that. What I tried to say is that Elephant is propably better for a very quick not so hifi sounding brickwall limiting than L2 with the same settings, not using the clipping mode. It´s actually very similar to L2 in its certain modes.

I considered to buy the marquis at first, but it was too expensive at the moment. I was buying just the elephant at first but when I notices that there was a 20% discount when buying at least two products, I bought the crunchessor too.

The Crunchessor propably ain´t the most innovative and the greatest comp, but at least I got a snappy snare sound with it :) The Marquis is a must buy, maybe I´ll buy it next month.

I actually downloaded Gclip yesterday, it really works. I did also some comparison with that and the timeworks, and they sounded very similar to me, nice.

Anyway, didn´t want to sound impulse-driven amateurish, I was just excited about how a great sound you get with a little money. Anyway, I´m pretty sure you´re going to like the elephant if you like the L2.

Thanks for the input!
-Slink

Yeah, I agree with you. People use L2 often in a "wrong" way, I admit pushing it way too hard too. Didn´t mean to bash L2 like that.
It's all good. I was just speaking from a general feeling. :)

Pristine Space.....a real gem. I love Marquis, Elephant...all good stuff. I use the latter for a different "flavour" in addition to my Waves stuff. Can add a totally different character.

Updated my collection somehwat a month ago.

Curve EQ, Gliss EQ, Impulse Modeller, Marquis, Elephant, Polysquasher, Soniformer and Lampthruster.

Voxengo are beaten only by Kjaerhus!

Kjaerhus is cool too. Maybe I should update to Sonar PE to get the Kjaerhus channel strip. And v-vocal... And Sessiondrummer...

Naah I just wait till Sonar 8.

Kjaerhus is cool too. Maybe I should update to Sonar PE to get the Kjaerhus channel strip. And v-vocal... And Sessiondrummer...

Naah I just wait till Sonar 8.

I would.

Session drummer blows ass but V-vocal is awesome and the Vintage channel (I already own the Kjaerhus Golden audio channel so it didn't bother me) but it is fan-fuckin'-tastic :D

I would.

Session drummer blows ass but V-vocal is awesome and the Vintage channel (I already own the Kjaerhus Golden audio channel so it didn't bother me) but it is fan-fuckin'-tastic :D

That´s good to hear. I´ve heard all kind of shit about V-vocal being inconsistent, but maybe they have had the problems fixed in the updates. It´s just... I don´t think my production gets any better if I just buy new eq´s and comps :D Kjaehus free plugs rule, love the comp especially. +the voxengo plugs I have. The sonitus plugins are also great. Maybe it´s better to save the money and buy Little Labs Redeye :)

Brett, I haven´t used that plug very much, so I really can´t say. I just remember that somebody recommended it as a clipper recently.
-slink

Dude, V-vocal is inconsistant only if you edit huge clips and don't bounce down....

I hardly use it, i'm a big fan of getting a good vocal performance in the first place :lol: But it's remarkably handy for a perfect guitar solo performance with maybe one sour bend or something...