What are death/black metal concerts like?

OnceSealedInBlood

fuck shit
Jan 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Being 15 and being from Canada...i've never been lucky enough to see a live show for any band, let alone a death/black metal band. I was just wondering, exactly what goes on there? Do you just bang your head and worship the band? Do you drink? Also, are the people there crazy and stuff? Like, am I going to be abducted? Also, take into account i've only been listening to death/black metal for about 4 months now so I consider myself like a grasshopper...and I have to learn from the sensay(sp). So, could someone bacially summarize what you do there? I know you listen to the band...thats obvious...but like Wacken? Summer Breeze? You sleep there? I'd love to do that...but i'm 15...so it sucks....yeah...Sorry if this is a stupid thread...Also, what kind of people are there? I know my one friend whos into bands like As I lay Dying and From Autumn to Ashes said that there's some really nice people there. He went into a mosh pit and was knocked down, and a few guys went out of their way to help him up and check if he was ok. He also told me that theres some drug addicts looking to rape people...so yeah, once again...sorry if this is annoying or a waste of your time...

It's killer man, Tomasz and I go to shows, act like we own the fucking place, afterall we have been headbanging for some 3 months now .... , put up our make up the morning before the show so it looks old by the next day, .... we buy vodka bottles and pretend to be fire breathing in the forest ... but the most important thing is: kick somebody's ass or become sombody's bitch ... good luck and cheers ... sorry for the broken english, we are just euros confused in america. But true black metal like any american trend will probbaly fade away in one year or so .... we don't care, fuck you all ..... we evil like that.

Belgar said:
It's killer man, Tomasz and I go to shows, act like we own the fucking place, afterall we have been headbanging for some 3 months now .... , put up our make up the morning before the show so it looks old by the next day, .... we buy vodka bottles and pretend to be fire breathing in the forest ... but the most important thing is: kick somebody's ass or become sombody's bitch ... good luck and cheers ... sorry for the broken english, we are just euros confused in america. But true black metal like any american trend will probbaly fade away in one year or so .... we don't care, fuck you all ..... we evil like that.

So you do the whole corpse paint thing? Cool...I know I can never be like 100% black metal or like a viking or anything, but my mom was born in finland, and my grandpa has a sister in sweden. So I have some scandanavian blood in me. The whole concert thing would suck for me then...my parents would kill me if i wore corpse paint...im straight edge and plan on retaining that for a while so no drinking, i've never been in a fight before so i'd end up someones bitch....i'm the only death/black metal kid in my town out of like probably 25 000 people (although i've got 1 or 2 people who listened to my music and loved it. The rest said i was a fucked up kid and that the bands were fags) and then also, no one good comes to Canada...Cradle of filths recent stuff sucks...and COB...ive never heard a song before...As far as this being a fad...I doubt it...at least for me. I went from metallica...to slipknot...to Amon Amarth and the rest of the death metal scene and then into black metal. Now when I hear metallica...or even pantera or damageplan...it's just so soft compared to the stuff I listen to know and I dont like it...I want heavy ass stuff with growling and grunting....

generaly metal concerts are jampacked with audiences approching 120!!! almost a whole fifth of the venues minimum capacity... (yes minimum). generaly everyone there is drunk out there mind. and either one of two things happen. 1- everyone goes fucking crazy and its the best night noone remembers or 2- everyone stands around and does very little to appreciate the scene because everyone is fucking tired after the 2-10 hour drive to get to where the fucking show is because nothing ever comes close to home. what else can i say?

hmmm .... in other words that's why Canada should not bother about black metal, check out Canadian Woods of Ypres or Operation Winter Mist. Don't try to be like fucking texans and act all black metalish, that's an euro thing, stick to the dumb death metal reharshed bullshit. If you want real true underground BM, look for the undeground french, german, finish and eastern european black metal scene.

@OnceSealedInBlood:If you come from canada do you know one of the most famous canadian bands:Kataklysm?That is great death metal
Going to a metal concert..is one of the best things i know!!

It depends on the size of the show. I've been to some shows where at the end of the night (for Satyricon) there were all over 8 people left standing in front of the stage, arms crossed. That was about it. Other (New England Metalfest, In Flame in NYC) were packed. The more people, the more energy, but people are generally nice enough. If you fall down in a pit someone will usually pick you up again. There's almost always a couple of really drunk people, but I wouldn't worry about getting abducted or anything. Unless you're dumb as shit and there's some random creep there...

TheLastWithPaganBlood said:
Someone forgot to mention the excessive amount of corpses on stage at any BM concert of your choice. And the stanic rituals etc.

yeah i'm going to the Enslaved/Vreid/himinbjorg concert soon (the 22nd) cause they're touring in europe. but we gotta bring a couple knives and swords as to not get killed without sword in hand. thats what viking black metal concerts are all about, fighting with blades in the moshpits and then drinking the dead's blood to make 'em our slaves at Oden's feast in afterlife..

@Celtik Militia:that is good....yes that is what viking concerts are about..hehe

yeah i will go to summerbreeze and walpurgis metal days this year.But this are only the big festivals, of course i go to many gigs, too!!!!

Celtik Militia said:
yeah i'm going to the Enslaved/Vreid/himinbjorg concert soon (the 22nd) cause they're touring in europe. but we gotta bring a couple knives and swords as to not get killed without sword in hand. thats what viking black metal concerts are all about, fighting with blades in the moshpits and then drinking the dead's blood to make 'em our slaves at Oden's feast in afterlife..

Ah yeah? I have seen Enslaved so many times and never saw sword fighting in the mosh pit ... i always knew France was out there ... i mean out there.

Celtik:

Ohhhh...so thats what he's talking about in Accross the Rainbow Bridge. Near the end during that sick riff, he says something like : I wander accross the rainbow bridge and see my fathers in the golden hall, they beckon me to join their feast, in my dreams I hear them call...If I moved to europe, could I become one of the real black metal guys? Because I am part scandanavian. And yes, I have heard of kataklysm. I was looking at their album at HMV...they seem pretty cool, but i've never heard any of their songs before...

sick riff? its an awsome riff, so melodic, so beautiful i suppose i never really understood the meaning of "sick"! and i cited the song "where silent gods stand guard", not "accross the rainbow bridge".. but i do admit the songs are comparable being both from VS the world and being slow epic like. and its "i want to walk accross the rainbow bridge" ;)
anyway wtf are you talking about? lol i mean what the hell? i hope you've been joking almost all along.
whats cool about death/black metal concerts is the solidarity between metalheads, except if one dude is stupid enough to come in with a slipknot Tshirt. we all go there to drink and have fun together, they're cool, nothing to be afraid of (well there are some bad apples sometimes, for example in some underground BM gigs maybe there can be some crazy bastards but thats life). by the way you were talking about a friend who saw From Automn to Ashes and that the concerts were nice... i dont see what that has to do in thread about death metal concerts, this being some queer emo-metalcore band.
yeah Kataklysm is an awsome Quebecan band... check it out, i wouldnt know which album to recommend cause i dont know 'em that well and everyone has a different opinion for their favorite album. but you could nevertheless check the group out with their "tubes" like "As I Slither" or "In shadows and Dust" (<--- the drumming's a killer in that one :p)

Shadows and Dust is an awesome album. Only one I have but idamn it's good.

yeah i'm going to the Enslaved/Vreid/himinbjorg concert soon (the 22nd) cause they're touring in europe.
That sounds like a killer show. Never heard of Vreid though. I saw Enslaved once, that was one of those shows where there were like 10 people left at the end of the night.

Brainkisser said:
That sounds like a killer show. Never heard of Vreid though. I saw Enslaved once, that was one of those shows where there were like 10 people left at the end of the night.

well you might know the viking metal band called Windir. Valfar created windir as a single member band and then he wanted to open his music to more people so he accepted other members to be able to tour. then Valfar died (RIP) so the other members decided to end Windir cause Valfar was the soul of it. but instead they created the band VREID and released their first album recently. its very hard to find but i managed and its a real killer, much more violent then Windir, but still similar in a way.

can someone link me to something that'll get me into himinbjorg please? the name sounds cool and since I'm into Enslaved, I figure I'll like himinbjorg too.

as for metal concerts, I'm going to see amon amarth, enslaved, behemoth, etc. live in june, and I'm already counting down, because it'll totally rock. Three days filled with vodka, blood, metal and gore! I'm so going to beat someone up there; and I'm going to get beaten up too, if I'm lucky.

Hedmund said:
can someone link me to something that'll get me into himinbjorg please? the name sounds cool and since I'm into Enslaved, I figure I'll like himinbjorg too.

as for metal concerts, I'm going to see amon amarth, enslaved, behemoth, etc. live in june, and I'm already counting down, because it'll totally rock. Three days filled with vodka, blood, metal and gore! I'm so going to beat someone up there; and I'm going to get beaten up too, if I'm lucky.

haha!

anyway, go on google search, and type in "himinbjorg"+"official website"... or go on slsk.com and download the free program, and download some himinbjorg on there :p.