what do you like to hear in power metal and prog?

Dec 16, 2012
Hello. So I was wondering. What does everyone like to hear when they listen to a prog metal band, or power? Do you like keyboards in there (if so what kind) or do you just like your metal straight up, guitars, vocals, bass, and drums?

Who are some of your favorite soloists?
I haven't really listened that much to power metal, but John Schaffer is one of my all time favorite guitarists.

But Glenn Tipton is my very favorite one, even though I wouldn't class Priest as an all power metal band. He has a fantastic feel and flow in his playing.

Then there's Ted Nugent. That guy is a whole different story though!

Edit: Let's not forget Jeff Waters!

In Power Metal, I like to hear liberal use of classical musical elements such as instruments, epic choirs, and operatic vocals. I also like plenty of keyboards that serve to give the music a distinctly "otherworldly" feel. Here's an example of what I mean by epic choirs, this is one of the best songs I've ever heard in my life:

Last edited by a moderator:
When I'm really in the mood to listen to Power Metal/prog metal, I have a very specific desire to hear just that.

In other words, I'm more concerned that the bands come across powerful, energetic, and most of all, epic. But not so over-the-top that it becomes a complete parody of itself.So, exciting tension building verse with really big, resolving choruses with strong inspired melodies and guitarwork.

A problem some bands find in the quest to be "epic" or "progressive" is that they forget to establish the framework of just being plain awesome in pursuit of technicality or sheer speed. Not to say innovation is bad. It's great. But I think that it should still keep its identity.

TL;DR Power Metal should be just that. Powerful.

My favorite power metal album:

album-temple-of-shadows.jpg

Seriously. This album fucking destroys.

I haven't really listened that much to power metal, but John Schaffer is one of my all time favorite guitarists.

But Glenn Tipton is my very favorite one, even though I wouldn't class Priest as an all power metal band. He has a fantastic feel and flow in his playing.

Then there's Ted Nugent. That guy is a whole different story though!

Edit: Let's not forget Jeff Waters!

Yea, Jon is so damn good. Very solid! I see where you are getting Tipton from. He has that very "spastic frantic" way of playing and it's awesome.

When I'm really in the mood to listen to Power Metal/prog metal, I have a very specific desire to hear just that.

In other words, I'm more concerned that the bands come across powerful, energetic, and most of all, epic. But not so over-the-top that it becomes a complete parody of itself.So, exciting tension building verse with really big, resolving choruses with strong inspired melodies and guitarwork.

A problem some bands find in the quest to be "epic" or "progressive" is that they forget to establish the framework of just being plain awesome in pursuit of technicality or sheer speed. Not to say innovation is bad. It's great. But I think that it should still keep its identity.

TL;DR Power Metal should be just that. Powerful.

My favorite power metal album:

album-temple-of-shadows.jpg

Seriously. This album fucking destroys.

I really like how you are describing things. You want identity, not too over the top, tension and energy. Makes sense to me.

I like my power metal from the 80's and rejected by modern power metal fans, classified by them as merely traditional metal. I like my progressive metal to be less about Dream Theater and common 70's progressive rock influence, and more about technical and angular riff-craft than lead parts. A lot of my favorite progressive metal albums have little or no keyboard or synthesizer presence, and moderate-at-most diversions into instrumental stuff.

I like my power metal from the 80's and rejected by modern power metal fans, classified by them as merely traditional metal. I like my progressive metal to be less about Dream Theater and common 70's progressive rock influence, and more about technical and angular riff-craft than lead parts. A lot of my favorite progressive metal albums have little or no keyboard or synthesizer presence, and moderate-at-most diversions into instrumental stuff.
This.

When it comes to progressive metal, this following song is a great example of what I like: they go fast and heavy with the guitar riffs and drumming at times, but also have an incredibly melodic and beautiful chorus.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's interesting. You are the first to day anything like that. Any recommendations?

When it comes to progressive metal, this following song is a great example of what I like: they go fast and heavy with the guitar riffs and drumming at times, but also have an incredibly melodic and beautiful chorus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVAyXI6kn94

Wow, I don't remember Dream Theater sounding like that, with the previous stuff that I remember listening too. I really liked that! Maybe I am finally getting to like them more, or growing into them?