What if....

SyXified

Jun 22, 2003
Massachusetts
www.unholymothers.com
Out of pure curiosity, what would people think of a future progpower business model being to get 3 or 4 ridiculous popular bands and letting all the other slots be filled by smaller USA or even European bands who would probably be willing to play for free just for the exposure. Tons of those little prog/power bands that would be willing to play for peanuts are probably just as good as some of the lower ranked names that still require the forking out of the dough. I don't know if this would be feasible, but I would rather see, for example Symphony X, Angra, Evergrey and Gamma Ray, and have all the other bands be unknowns, some of whom would probably greatly impress and would love the chance to showcase their music in such an accepting venue. Any thoughts?

I disagree Bryan (however, totally dig the Trogdor picture!) I think the pre-party is sort of for that purpose, but the crowd is still much smaller.

To answer the thread question...I think that's what Jack Bullshit tries to do at some of his shows. It doesn't seem to work real well attendance wise (of course there are other issues). Really, I think Glenn is kind of doing what you're asking. He's bringing in some HUGE bands and a few - relatively speaking - unheard ofs.

I guess if given a choice of a night of 6 or 7 bands that I rate a 7 or 8/10 OR a night of 4 bands that I rate a 9 or 10 and several smaller bands, I'd take choice B.

I'd rather see a bunch of less well known bands and maybe one or two big name bands (as it has been at PP fests so far). It would be cool to see a bunch of bands that I love already, but to me, part of what makes PP so cool is becoming familiar with music to which I've not yet been exposed. Take that away, and IMHO, it would be so much less than it is now.

True. But... if there was a bigger club to host it in, the pre-party could really pack a good crowd. The Rivera Club was so damned cool. Too bad that all fell through.

But knowing how my band sees this festival, we'd jam it for free. But... getting $100 for the gig would sure help fill the tank to drive down from Detroit.

But I still wanna see bands that people actually have heard of, and enjoy. I'd love it if everyone knew my band's material and dug it, cuz then we'd be playing for a crowd that WANTS to hear it. A far cry from the truth, being 5% of the audience is there to see you, the rest could give two shits and are expecting to be thoroughly impressed.

I personally prefer going to a concert, where I know the music, already know what it's gonna sound like, and prolly already know some of the lyrics to sing along to. Don't get me wrong... I love being shocked and awed by an unknown band who really throws it down and stops a crowd dead in its tracks. (Can anyone say Stride?) Cuz then it's a different vibe. You're standing there amazed, and studying each and every detail of their sound, and listening very carefully. Which is what I like with the Pre-party. I get to relax, enjoy a beer, and let my ears be dazzled with something strange and beautiful and unknown.

But I'm sure everyone here will agree with me, that you get a far better high from seeing your favorite band tearing the shit out of the stage and you're just bashing your head along with all the energy! That kind of energy and experience is what I'm going to ProgPower for. Like Brainstorm. I was torn in two! I knew the material from Soul Temptation, and was thrashing around like a goldfish out of its bowl, yet stood in wonderment when they played their older material that stopped me cold! I had to just stare in awe and absorb the moment! That was a helluva great show, cuz I got the best of both worlds in that case. RARE these days to catch a band that does that for me. And it always seems to be the Third Spot of the festival! LOL

Last year, Prototype really had me studying them, yet I wanted to just thrash it out and get my neck nice and sore! Great energy! Too bad I didn't know their material before that night!

Holy crap... I just typed far more than I thought I was typing.... where's my Ritalin....

Eh. Seems to me that there is this middle class of bands like Dragonland, Freternia, Dreamscape, Manticora, etc., that you simply won't be seeing in the US unless Glenn books them.

I think that to concentrate the festival on a few really big bands and then putting unknowns in the lower slots would mean missing out on these "middling" bands.

You'd probably end up with a pretty empty floor for the first 3 acts of each night if you only book 4 big bands and 6 that are hardly known or not as talented as the lesser known bands that have played PP in the past (e.g. Mercenary, Pagan's Mind, Tad Morose - all of whom blew the roof off the place).

I like the mix that I get at progpower. I knew what I was getting in Nightwish. I was rolling over in excitement over seeing pain of salvation. I was glad to see Tad Morose for 2nd time in a much better fest atmosphere but I am also glad that a Brainstorm or a Pagan's Mind or a Mercenary surprisingly blew me away.

:Spin: