How would album output change if bands did not play live?

johnfrank1970

Jan 10, 2002
Madison, WI
welcome.to
How do you think the output of metal albums would change if bands did not think they would have an opportunity to tour?

Clearly, there are many bands that do not play shows or play very few shows. But many current bands go on tour. What if they could not? What if the live metal scene died? Would these bands stop producing music? If so, why? Because playing live is what they love the most? Because the only way they can make money is by playing live, and they would not continue making music if they could not make money? Because they don't get sufficient validation from music sales and on-line interaction?

Would there be some sort of line of division based on financial success at which bands below it would continue on but bands above it would break up? In other words, the small independent bands would continue on, but the bands with greater success would decide it was no longer worth their time to record music?

This question was inspired by this post from the promoter of the Ragnarokkr Metal Apocalypse festival:

"I've said it before and I'll say it again. People are always complaining about how there is no metal scene in the US and the only support is for crap mainstream metal bands. Buying albums helps the bands but doesn't do much for the scene as a whole. You have to go to the shows and show the bands there is support for and interest in them in order to give them incentive to keep going, and other bands to tour as well. And to show venues there is interest for this so they'll keep booking metal shows. Go to local shows, go to shows out of town, even out of state. Treat each appearance of a band as if it's their last, because it very well could be. Most of all, support the fests that gather many bands. Ragnarokkr Metal Apocalypse, Warriors of Metal, Pathfinder Metalfest, ProgPower, MetalCuse, Maryland Deathfest, Flight of the Valkyries, Defenders of the Old fest just to name a few. I know it's very expensive and travelling so far can be a major pain in the ass but it's no different for the bands who make the music you love and still give their all when there are only three people in the audience. This is the only way to keep this shit alive."