Povertys No Crime

3rd Tier and below
Sinbreed
Eyefear
Wolverine
Votum
Lanfear

Holy Shit

SERENITY in a 3 slot for sure. Just listened to the trailer for the new album and wow, this is going to kill:Smokin: Fallen Sanctuary (previous album) was awesome and this will solidify them on the map in the power/prog circle.

Okay. Let me do this the correct way.

Tier 1

Saxon
Nevermore
Rhapsody Of Fire
Russell Allen / Jorn Lande

Tier 2

Grave Digger
Destruction
Sodom
Axxis
Scar Symmetry
Astral Doors
Doro
Magnum
Falconer
Dark Moor
Masterplan
Axel Rudi Pell
Annihilator

Tier 3

ReVamp
Headhunter
Myrath
Charred Walls of the Damned
System Divide
Heathen

Quite difficult this one, for now I'll go with:

1st Tier:

Riot
Saxon
Dominici
Vicious Rumors
Shadow Gallery
Fifth Angel

2nd Tier:

Grave Digger
Helstar
Armored Saint
Evidence One
Benedictum
WatchTower

Sorry, not much prog in that one!

Third Tier/Showcase Ideas:

Astral Doors
Eden's Curse
Elegy
U.D.O.
Lord
Sinergy
TNT
Loudness
Racer X
Malice
Metalium
Lizzy Borden
Marshall Law
Machine Men
Wolf
Pretty Maids
Annihilator
Impelliterri
Jaded Heart
Blue Murder
220 Volt
Torch

Instrumetal:

Tony MacAlpine
Vinnie Moore
David Valdes
Chris Brooks
Joel Gregoire
Vitalij Kuprij

Tons more of course, but any of those would work for me!

Okay. Let me do this the correct way.

Tier 1

Saxon
Nevermore
Rhapsody Of Fire
Russell Allen / Jorn Lande

Tier 2

Grave Digger
Destruction
Sodom
Axxis
Scar Symmetry
Astral Doors
Doro
Magnum
Falconer
Dark Moor
Masterplan
Axel Rudi Pell
Annihilator

Tier 3

ReVamp
Headhunter
Myrath
Charred Walls of the Damned
System Divide
Heathen

Nice list. Very accurate with your tier picks IMO.

1st Tier:
AVANTASIA (a dream, but oh well)
Allen/Lande
Saxon (Seen, but I'd gladly see them again)
Masterplan
Shadow Gallery (Seen, but I'd gladly see them again)

2nd Tier:
Dominici
Riot
King's X (Seen more than once, but love them)
Serenity
Hibria
Myrath
Dragonland
Anubis Gate
Magnum
Astral Doors

3rd Tier:
LORD
Vanishing Point
Bloodbound
Silent Call
Cornerstone
Triosphere
Darkwater

I find it interesting to see fans ranking the tiers with bands they love,
This is hard even for people in the biz.
Did Glenn or someone lay out some sort of guidlines for this or are these
the perception of the lister?
I'd actually love to hear how Glenn decerns this..
For me it would come down to a few variables.
-Buzz on band
-History of band
-Sales of band
-Number of albums releases by band
-perception / desire of the prog power regulars
-And lastly my own desires as the promoter.
OH and I forgot one MAJOR ONE... Where the band are willing to play on the lineup.
These are obviously only for the bands that are not only desired, but available and able to make the date.

I try not to rank a band where I would like to see them. The entire fest roster makes or breaks a bands slot and my desire to see them. If there is 6 progressive bands playing, I'm going to lean more towards a power metal band. If there isn't a quirky off the wall band my desire to see an oddball will be higher.
Saying that, I would love to see Fracture play, and it would be really cool if Glenn could pull off one of the neoclassical Shrapnel guys for a early slot, like a Joey Tafolla Tony MacAlpine or a Vinnie Moore set. Or even better yet, how about an Apocrypha reunion? I'd ask for a Cacophony reunion, but Glenn hasnt been enough of a miracle worker to heal Jason Becker yet...something to strive for, perhaps?

I've mostly been ranking mine for what I think is their drawing power, rather than the rank where I'd like to see them.

For example, I'd consider Tuatha De Danann a tier 3 band mainly from their obscurity. But, they are a band I'd probably move heaven and earth to go see.

I try not to rank a band where I would like to see them. The entire fest roster makes or breaks a bands slot and my desire to see them. If there is 6 progressive bands playing, I'm going to lean more towards a power metal band. If there isn't a quirky off the wall band my desire to see an oddball will be higher.
Saying that, I would love to see Fracture play, and it would be really cool if Glenn could pull off one of the neoclassical Shrapnel guys for a early slot, like a Joey Tafolla Tony MacAlpine or a Vinnie Moore set. Or even better yet, how about an Apocrypha reunion? I'd ask for a Cacophony reunion, but Glenn hasnt been enough of a miracle worker to heal Jason Becker yet...something to strive for, perhaps?

I don't have to ask where Fracture would go since it's a first album debut, however, I do want to ask, to you, how do you classify them, Power, Prog metal or oddball?

I don't have to ask where Fracture would go since it's a first album debut, however, I do want to ask, to you, how do you classify them, Power, Prog metal or oddball?

I would not dare call Fracture and oddball. Prog may be a bit of a stretch, although their debut has progressive elements. To me they're a heavier power metal band - probably the same way I'd describe Nevermore.

I find it interesting to see fans ranking the tiers with bands they love,
This is hard even for people in the biz.
Did Glenn or someone lay out some sort of guidlines for this or are these
the perception of the lister?
I'd actually love to hear how Glenn decerns this..
For me it would come down to a few variables.
-Buzz on band
-History of band
-Sales of band
-Number of albums releases by band
-perception / desire of the prog power regulars
-And lastly my own desires as the promoter.
OH and I forgot one MAJOR ONE... Where the band are willing to play on the lineup.
These are obviously only for the bands that are not only desired, but available and able to make the date.

+1

I would not dare call Fracture and oddball. Prog may be a bit of a stretch, although their debut has progressive elements. To me they're a heavier power metal band - probably the same way I'd describe Nevermore.

Well, considering there are 2 Fracture's right now, I'm not sure you and Lance are talking about the same one.

There's the Norwegian band (who actually released albums and performed internationally before the other band), who are signed to Intromental, have played at Wacken Festival, plays powerful metal in the Nevermore meets Brainstorm meets Judas Priest meets King Diamond vein.

And then there's the band that's from Australia, who knew very well about the other band yet still decided to release their album with the same band name, never played outside of Australia, and plays prog metal. I guess those are the ones Lance is talking about since they are signed to his label :)

Wow, I wasn't aware of the two Fractures.

If a band is well-aware that another band already has released albums under that name, why would they insist?

Well, I was talking about the Intromental Fracture. Haven't checked the other one. Should I?

Wow, I wasn't aware of the two Fractures.

If a band is well-aware that another band already has released albums under that name, why would they insist?

Well, I was talking about the Intromental Fracture. Haven't checked the other one. Should I?

I think you should. I posted a clip of them a few pages back in this same thread. One of my top 10 albums of 2010.

I've heard a few clips of the Fracture from Norway and they sound good. I'll have to check them out further.