Where to start? Shadow Gallery

ApolloFC

Sax-Man
Sep 18, 2009
Greensboro, North Carolina
I know Room V is one of the big albums. I haven't payed attention to these guys in ages until they were announced for next year. I can get behind the music of Room V but I think my main problem with the band is the vocalist, just isn't one of my favorites. I want to give the guys a fair chance though

I know Room V is one of the big albums. I haven't payed attention to these guys in ages until they were announced for next year. I can get behind the music of Room V but I think my main problem with the band is the vocalist, just isn't one of my favorites. I want to give the guys a fair chance though

Well, unfortunately, the vocalist for the bulk of their career passed away. Digital Ghosts is their newest disc, with a vocalist who sounds like a restrained, younger Geoff Tate.

Well, unfortunately, the vocalist for the bulk of their career passed away. Digital Ghosts is their newest disc, with a vocalist who sounds like a restrained, younger Geoff Tate.

Then he may prefer the new vocalist.

I think most SG fans would say Tyranny is the best. I would follow that with Carved In Stone and the newest album, Digital Ghosts. Personally I found Room V maddeningly pop with rather lame lyrics. I wanted to love it but found it a big disappointment.

Shadow Gallery is a fairly unique band in the sense that what is special about each of their albums is the same. They're a fairly religious band. They didn't create a concept album and a sequel as a lot of people may think. They didn't even create a concept, at all. Rather, they reflect, somewhat introspectively, about a concept expressed over 2000 years. That concept permeates all their musical output. The concept is simple. Without getting too deep into vague terms like eschatology or dabbling into Christian biblical concepts about the end times and whatnot, their albums are all lyrically about keeping hope when all hope seems lost. In that sense, they all work about the same. The differences between albums are primarily stylistic. All the Mike Baker albums exude a We're Never Touring vibe that is impossible to separate from the history of the band. Digital Ghosts is all about getting the Word out there on the stage. So start there. For the rest, dabble. The self-titled is prog rock that suggests a potential for eventual prog metal greatness. Carved in Stone is wimpy AOR-crossover music. Tyranny is standard prog metal, and is considered the "classic" work. I remember Glenn running to the Magna Carta table when they made their announcement at Powermad. I think their show will be heavily biased towards that disc. Legacy is a bit of a mix, but still prog metal. Room V is Tyranny part two, so you should expect a lot of that also.

Shadow Gallery is a fairly unique band in the sense that what is special about each of their albums is the same. They're a fairly religious band. They didn't create a concept album and a sequel as a lot of people may think. They didn't even create a concept, at all. Rather, they reflect, somewhat introspectively, about a concept expressed over 2000 years. That concept permeates all their musical output. The concept is simple. Without getting too deep into vague terms like eschatology or dabbling into Christian biblical concepts about the end times and whatnot, their albums are all lyrically about keeping hope when all hope seems lost. In that sense, they all work about the same. The differences between albums are primarily stylistic. All the Mike Baker albums exude a We're Never Touring vibe that is impossible to separate from the history of the band. Digital Ghosts is all about getting the Word out there on the stage. So start there. For the rest, dabble. The self-titled is prog rock that suggests a potential for eventual prog metal greatness. Carved in Stone is wimpy AOR-crossover music. Tyranny is standard prog metal, and is considered the "classic" work. I remember Glenn running to the Magna Carta table when they made their announcement at Powermad. I think their show will be heavily biased towards that disc. Legacy is a bit of a mix, but still prog metal. Room V is Tyranny part two, so you should expect a lot of that also.

How are you doing Joe? :popcorn:

Tyranny is definitely the best thing they've done. And I have to agree with you on the vocals....I always felt Mike Baker was the weak link in the band; in fact, DC Cooper guests on a song on Tyranny, and there's definitely a sense of "what could be" hearing his voice. Still, Tyranny is a wonderful disc.

After the passing of Baker, they did get a new vocalist, but I haven't really listened much to Digital Ghosts, the album on which he debuted.

So basically if I like the first album and the latest album I should be set it seems :eek: Cheers all. After this I have to determine if I'll like Soilwork live or not. Studio is no problem, live is a different issue after hearing Solution .45 (and I'm not saying they're bad live, more just weird listening to live) ... then I can make a decision about friday night.

So basically if I like the first album and the latest album I should be set it seems Cheers all. After this I have to determine if I'll like Soilwork live or not. Studio is no problem, live is a different issue after hearing Solution .45 (and I'm not saying they're bad live, more just weird listening to live) ... then I can make a decision about friday night.

I say this in all honesty...... I have been to I think 9 or 10 Prog Powers (including all of 1-7), and as good as many of the acts have been...... Shadow Gallery may have been my single favorite show EVER. I got to see them a couple years back play their first ever live gig in PA, and it was absolutely magical. I fully expect to see them play a similar cross-section covering all their albums at PP. Take my word on this: you do NOT want to miss these guys.

So basically if I like the first album and the latest album I should be set it seems :eek: Cheers all. After this I have to determine if I'll like Soilwork live or not. Studio is no problem, live is a different issue after hearing Solution .45 (and I'm not saying they're bad live, more just weird listening to live) ... then I can make a decision about friday night.

Really? Soilwork is the live act you're sweating? I'm not a huge fan but they are an incredible live band.

Really? Soilwork is the live act you're sweating? I'm not a huge fan but they are an incredible live band.
Ditto...getting concerned about Soilwork because of Solution .45 is missing one key detail - Solution .45 was playing their first live show ever, while Soilwork has been touring for 10+ years. If you like their music, I'd be pretty shocked if you don't enjoy them live.

Yeah, i think if I end up liking Shadow Gallery then them and Myrath will be enough to make me want to buy a ticket. Soilwork will then be one of those bands where it just depends on my mood and the kind of vibe I get from them. All I remember from Solution .45 is being turned off by just a simple strum of the tuned down distorted guitars inbetween tunes :shrug:

Edit: and I'm digging Gold Dust on the new Shadow Gallery atm

Yeah, i think if I end up liking Shadow Gallery then them and Myrath will be enough to make me want to buy a ticket. Soilwork will then be one of those bands where it just depends on my mood and the kind of vibe I get from them. All I remember from Solution .45 is being turned off by just a simple strum of the tuned down distorted guitars inbetween tunes :shrug:

Edit: and I'm digging Gold Dust on the new Shadow Gallery atm

So you're worried that a band you like and want to see live might slightly alter their guitar tone, therefore making the whole day somehow not worthwhile? :confused:

ApolloFC said:
Soilwork will then be one of those bands where it just depends on my mood and the kind of vibe I get from them. All I remember from Solution .45 is being turned off by just a simple strum of the tuned down distorted guitars inbetween tunes :shrug:

If something as small as that causes you to leave a band's set, then you're digging the wrong style of music. lol

And here's as a favor:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just one man's opinion but this is the order I would recommend each band's stuff

SG:
Tyranny
Legacy
Room V
Cast in Stone
Digital Ghosts
ST

Soilwork
Natural Born Chaos
Stabbing the Drama
Panic Broadcast
Sworn to the Great Divide
Predator's Portrait
Figure Number Five
The Chainheart Machine
Steelebath Suicide

I say this in all honesty...... I have been to I think 9 or 10 Prog Powers (including all of 1-7), and as good as many of the acts have been...... Shadow Gallery may have been my single favorite show EVER. I got to see them a couple years back play their first ever live gig in PA, and it was absolutely magical. I fully expect to see them play a similar cross-section covering all their albums at PP. Take my word on this: you do NOT want to miss these guys.

SG is at the top of my bucket list bands. They are obviously all incredible musicians, but I didn't know how they'd perform live. Posts like this make me very happy. From what I can tell, they're already rehearsing for PP. This show must mean something to them :).