Who are your "blind buy" bands & who have fallen from that status?

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
The subject line pretty much says it all...

Which band's CDs would you currently buy without having heard a note of?

And who are the five bands who have most recently lost their "blind buy" status?

Blind Buys:
Circus Maximus
Corrosion of Conformity
Drudkh
Graveyard
Kamelot
Nevermore
Novembers Doom
Opeth
Pagan's Mind
Primordial
Pyramaze
Redemption
Symphony X
Zero Hour

No Longer Blind Buy:
Evergrey
Iced Earth
Moonsorrow
Riverside
Vanden Plas

Nobody. I at least want to hear a song these days. With the ease and quantity of legit streaming, I can't justify any blindbuys. I'm not wealthy enough to financially support all the artists I love.

The subject line pretty much says it all...

Which band's CDs would you currently buy without having heard a note of?

And who are the five bands who have most recently lost their "blind buy" status?

Blind Buys:
Circus Maximus
Corrosion of Conformity
Drudkh
Graveyard
Kamelot
Nevermore
Novembers Doom
Opeth
Pagan's Mind
Primordial
Pyramaze
Redemption
Symphony X
Zero Hour

No Longer Blind Buy:
Evergrey
Iced Earth
Moonsorrow
Riverside
Vanden Plas

Helloween
Gamma Ray
masterplan
Mob Rules

Zod, kudos to you for once again thinking of a really interesting thread topic. Here are mine (which are surprisingly similar to yours):

Blind Buy:

Amorphis
Angra
Andre Matos
Circus Maximus
Opeth
Dream Theater
Kamelot
Nevermore
Katatonia
Redemption
Stream of Passion
Orphaned Land

No Longer Blind Buy:

Riverside
Edguy
Evergrey
Anything Jorn Related
Shaman
Pagan's Mind
Iron Maiden

Blind Buys:
Anubis Gate
Amorphis
Ayreon
Brainstorm
Circus Maximus
Devon Graves (any band or collaboration)
Enchant
Evergrey
Fate's
Kamelot
Nightwish
Pagan's Mind
Pyramaze
Redemption
Riverside
Sabaton
Symphony X
Within Temptation
Wuthering Heights
Zero Hour

No Longer Buy/Given up On:
Edgay
Jorn
Mercenary
Neveragain
Iced Erf
Freak Kitchen
Vanden Plas

Blind Buys:
Gamma Ray
Helloween
Dream Theater
Orphaned Land
Judas Priest
Motorhead
My Dying Bride
Opeth
Jon Oliva's Pain
Kamelot
Vanden Plas
Riverside
Candlemass
Alice in Chains
Epica
King Diamond
Saxon
Therion

No long blind buys:
Brainstorm
Iced Earth
Symphony X
Pathosray
Nightwish
Blind Guardian
Edguy
Queensryche
Rob Zombie
Ozzy Osbourne

None.

I'm with Cheiron here...what's the point of making a blind-buy in this day and age? Because you want to revel in the "fanboy" experience? You like the rush you get from risk-taking?

In the old days, sure, blind-buys were a necessary evil, since it was often difficult/impossible to get a sample beforehand. But now the situation is the opposite, it almost takes work to *not* hear something from the album before you make a purchase.

If Kraft introduces a new cheese flavor, and there is someone at the grocery store offering a taste, do you say "no thanks, I love everything Kraft has made before, so I don't even need to try it, I'm just going to buy the jumbo size straight away!"? Why not just taste it to avoid disappointment in case they totally f'ed it up?

Neil

Blind Buys

Fates Warning/anything with Alder
Black Crowes
Nevermore/anything with Warrel Dane
Helstar/James Rivera
Jorn
CircleIICircle
Any band playing the upcoming Progpower that I'm unfamiliar with (ongoing year to year)

The artists formerly known as "Blind Buy" artists

Pain of Salvation (BE was the pinnacle/downfall)
Dream Theater (Train of Thought derailed my interest)
Nightwish (Can't get into Annette)
Jon Oliva's Pain (awesome awesome dude, lately his discs are hit & miss)
Queensryche (lost interest after Mindcrime, kept buying until Mindcrime II, I refuse to support that)
All 80's hair bands (new Ratt...sucked, new Great White...sucked, new Motley Crue...sucked, new Def Leppard...fucking joke, LA Guns...after Jizzy left), Ozzy...just awful!! etc...

Blind buys:

Morgana Lefay
Jon Oliva's Pain
Memory Garden
Tarot
Redemption
Symphorce
Jag Panzer
Ram-Zet
Solitude Aeturnus
Dark Tranquillity
Enertia (assuming I ever get to buy anything by them again)

Former, but no longer, blind buys:

Inmoria
Circle II Circle
Brainstorm
Thunderstone
Veni Domine
Stratovarius
In Flames

Blind buys:

Circus Maximus
Nightwish
Tarot
Myrath
Kamelot
Spheric Universe Experience
Mindflow

Would never blind buy these:

Blind Guardian
Evergrey
PoS
Edguy
Brainstorm

I am with Scott (Cheiron) and Neil (Skyrefuge) regarding deaf purchases - I do not make them. That said, I addressed a similar topic on the PMX board:

http://pmx2.krose.org/forum?action=view&forum_id=1&message_id=374459

What's your fanboy score?

List each currently active band that has never released an album (studio full length or EP, live recordings and compilations do not count) you dislike, along with the number of albums associated with that band. Only list bands with three or more albums to their credit.

Add up the number of bands on your list for your Groupie Score.

Add up the number of albums on your list for your Comfort Food/Same Is Good Score.

My list:

Arsis (5)
Astral Doors (6)
Atheist (3)
Canobliss (3)
Gorod (3)
Gory Blister (4)
Heathen (3)
Hieronymus Bosch (3)
Horfixion (4)
Into Eternity (5)
Martyr (3)
Neglected Fields (3)
Pathos (3) <still active?>
Pharaoh (3)
Quo Vadis (3)
Redemption (4)
Scar Symmetry (4)
Wolf (5)

Groupie Score = 18
Comfort Food/Same Is Good Score = 67

None.

I'm with Cheiron here...what's the point of making a blind-buy in this day and age? Because you want to revel in the "fanboy" experience? You like the rush you get from risk-taking?

Are you truly saying there is not one band in the universe that you support unconditionally? Here's another case of MP3's changing the way we think...Why buy the sausage when we can just hang around the grocery store and eat samples all day? Fates Warning could drop a country disc and I would support it. I don't even want to ruin the suspense by "sampling" it before buying.

If Kraft introduces a new cheese flavor, and there is someone at the grocery store offering a taste, do you say "no thanks, I love everything Kraft has made before, so I don't even need to try it, I'm just going to buy the jumbo size straight away!"? Why not just taste it to avoid disappointment in case they totally f'ed it up?

Neil

Isn't that what buying music is all about? That feeling of total exhilaration when the new "so & so" disc comes out, opening it & popping it in the player, and you're first opinion as each track plays...anticipating each part of the song as it comes up...thinking, "the chorus is gonna be like...., well, thats not what I expected, or...thats f'ing awesome!!! Thats what music means to me...memories of the 1st listen, 1st opinions,etc...

I still remember my first listen of "No Exit"...we wandered down to the record store and waited at the door for them to open, I was so cranked for the new Fates!!! We popped it in the boombox on the way home, and I was utterly and completely crushed!!! "OMG< Ray Alder sucks! Why did they get rid of John Arch? Man, they blew it this time!" By Friday night I was trying to replicate Rays high notes, thinking to myself, this fucking dude can sing!

Sorry to have strayed away from the thread topic guys...

None.

In the old days, sure, blind-buys were a necessary evil, since it was often difficult/impossible to get a sample beforehand. But now the situation is the opposite, it almost takes work to *not* hear something from the album before you make a purchase.

Neil

Not all of us go to the trouble of listening to music samples online. I, for example, pretty much only buy cds at ProgPower these days (in fact, I have not bought a disc since last year's event). They don't exactly have listening stations set up at the vendor tables. Music is just not a priority for me, and so I don't spend much time online listening to samples. Therefore, virtually any cds I would purchase at ProgPower would be blind buys.

For most people here, though, I think the idea of a "blind buy" is more of a concept than a reality. It's more like, "If I was unable to listen to any samples online before this disc came out, I would still buy it." Or, "This band has never let me down, and I don't anticipate that they will anytime soon."

Blind Buys:
Beyond Twilight
Cloudscape
Dream Theater
Eyefear
Fates Warning
James LaBrie
Jorn
Malpractice
Poverty's No crime
Redemption
Seventh Wonder
Vanden Plas
Vicious Rumors
Zero Hour

No Longer Blind Buy:
Astral Doors
Eldritch
Evergrey
Iced Earth
Pagan's Mind
Pain of Salvation
Royal Hunt
Spheric Universe Experience
Tarot
Threshold

You better bring it hard for me to buy your shit:
Everybody else

None.

Neil

QFT. I can't say it any better than that.

Not all of us go to the trouble of listening to music samples online. I, for example, pretty much only buy cds at ProgPower these days (in fact, I have not bought a disc since last year's event). They don't exactly have listening stations set up at the vendor tables. Music is just not a priority for me, and so I don't spend much time online listening to samples. Therefore, virtually any cds I would purchase at ProgPower would be blind buys.

For most people here, though, I think the idea of a "blind buy" is more of a concept than a reality. It's more like, "If I was unable to listen to any samples online before this disc came out, I would still buy it." Or, "This band has never let me down, and I don't anticipate that they will anytime soon."

I think you'd be surprised how many people still make blind buy purchases even today. I refuse to listen to samples of something that I am truly anticipating. Now if we're talking middle of the road artists, hit & miss, then sometimes a sample sways you one way or another