Who are your "blind buy" bands & who have fallen from that status?

I think if you're a regular on UM/ProgPower USA forum, than music more than likely is a priority for you in one way or another. I can't think of another reason why anyone would post here regularly. I can certainly only hope that nobody uses the forum as their only way of socializing with other people, since that'd be pretty bad.

Just my $0.02.

I think if you're a regular on UM/ProgPower USA forum, than music more than likely is a priority for you in one way or another. I can't think of another reason why anyone would post here regularly. I can certainly only hope that nobody uses the forum as their only way of socializing with other people, since that'd be pretty bad.

Just my $0.02.

That's what I was thinking too when I read that post. Oy.

What I meant is exactly what I said. I LIKE music -- I listen to it every day -- but there are many, many things I care about much more than music. Plus I already have tons of it, and I don't get tired of it, so I tend not to buy much anymore. Therefore, it is not much of a priority for me.

And to answer your next question, YES, ProgPower is more of a social event for me than a music one. I know for a fact that Glenn is okay with this.

It seems that many people on this board don't think I should be posting here unless I LIVE AND DIE FOR METAL!!!!! GRAAAAHHH!!!!! *obligatory devil horns*

If anyone wants to pick on me further about this, perhaps a thread can be made in the Pub forum instead of further hijacking this one.

What I meant is exactly what I said. I LIKE music -- I listen to it every day -- but there are many, many things I care about much more than music. Plus I already have tons of it, and I don't get tired of it, so I tend not to buy much anymore. Therefore, it is not much of a priority for me.

And to answer your next question, YES, ProgPower is more of a social event for me than a music one. I know for a fact that Glenn is okay with this.

It seems that many people on this board don't think I should be posting here unless I LIVE AND DIE FOR METAL!!!!! GRAAAAHHH!!!!! *obligatory devil horns*

If anyone wants to pick on me further about this, perhaps a thread can be made in the Pub forum instead of further hijacking this one.

I don't think anyone posted comments to pick on you, man. I just found it a little interesting that a regular poster on a music forum doesn't think music is a priority in his life. There's nothing wrong with not having it as a priority, just as there's nothing wrong with finding that to be interesting considering the situation.

As for ProgPower being more of a social event for you, that's cool. I know a lot of people who use the festival as a social event as well. That's not what I meant to say though. I was talking about the forum itself. My comment was directed at people who use the forum as their MAIN TOOL for socializing. You know, those people who won't leave their rooms and will not talk to anybody face-to-face, but instead they do it all behind a computer screen. Those are the people I was talking about.

And I think you should keep posting here. If anyone over here is the opposite of "GRAWRL I'M ALL FOR METAL", is me. I hope that comment was not directed at me. :)

...If I may, here are mine :) I am 22 and generally I will listen to the previews that go up on Amazon, MySpace, etc., live videos of unreleased songs, and the whole album if I can. The one exception was Leaves' Eyes' last album, for which I went so far as to refuse to listen to the copy that leaked because it had "You are listening to..." every minute or so on it, because I wanted the purest possible first listening experience. :D Aaaand then I actually filmed myself listening to it for the first time... yeah. >_>

Leaves' Eyes
Nightwish
Tarja
Flyleaf
Delain
Becoming the Archetype
The Birthday Massacre
Caspian
HB
Project 86
Within Temptation
Theatre of Tragedy
Andy Hunter (not a band but whatever, a "band" can be only one guy playing/programming everything, like Mortemia :p)

Interesting, I'd never made a list like this before. :)

90% of my blind buys aren't going to be of interest to anyone here. Additionally, the list of bands that I'd no longer blind buy gets longer with every year that I get bored with listening to the same old things. I wouldn't go specifically to buy these discs, but if I came across them I'd probably get them. All that said, here goes a "ProgPower forum tailored list"

Blind Buys:
Ayreon or anything Arjen-related
Morgana Lefay
Paradise Lost
Sabaton
Orphaned Land

No longer on the list:
Symphony X
Dragonforce
Nightwish

Blind buys: Kamelot, Seventh Wonder and Pain of Salvation. Probably Sonata Arctica as well, actually. Not sure if anyone has fallen from that list... I'm virtually never disappointed by my favorite bands. But I'm very slow with adding bands to that list because I'm not the blind buying kind of person either, unless a band is really extraordinary.

Megadeth has always been my only blind buy band although I haven't actually bought a Megadeth album for a long time without having actually heard it before hand. Probably Risk was the last album from them that I bought having not really heard a full song beforehand. Also should add that Astral Doors is a blind love band. I love every single magical second of their albums and then buy it later on as I have all their albums and even an ep!

Blind Buys:
Iron Maiden (Studio albums only, none of the unnecessary extra junk)
Redemption
Blind Guardian
Symphony X
Avantasia
Circus Maximus
Royal Hunt
Vanden Plas
Pagan's Mind
Dungeon/Lord
Riot
Nocturnal Rites

No longer blind-buys:
Gamma Ray (last two have been seriously pedestrian)
Dream Theater (been hit or miss for the past decade)
Edguy (Odds are I'll still like it, but I have reason to believe anything is possible anymore)
Evergrey (Have faith they're turning it around about Monday Morning Apocalypse sucked by their standards and Torn was only just a step back to the old stuff)
Savatage/related: The 2008/2009 releases by every Sava-project were meh IMO. Zak/Jeff Plate's Machines of Grace project actually had the best album of the bunch I think. Shame considering the number of masterpieces the family has put out.
Kamelot (Didn't care much for Ghost Opera, only like the new one a little bit more)
Stratovarius/related: Again, just two many misses in the past half-decade for me to have any blind faith.