who got u involved in metal

dbluntman

May 3, 2005
My uncle....a cool guy at the time was thee one responsible to getting me into metal. although I am a huge maiden fan and prefere thrax over metallica anytime
my first listen was ozzy speak of the devil cassette. I guess my uncle saw that I was amaze of all his favorite groups pin up on his wall like van halen,april wine, iron maiden, early metallica with cliff of course, def leppard and the list goes on......so he mistakenly bought 2 cassette of ozzy speak and gave one to me. He just said, "do not let your dad know about what you are now going to listen to" . man and I was only 8yrs at the time. But of course my dad found out about it. He did not agree what i was listening to but i guess he understand..I want to give PROPS to my ungle JOE thanxs for introducing me to metal. I'll pass it on to my son..... :headbang:

My dad did ,inadvertantly. he was big into Country and had alot of 8-tracks, so one day he got a whole box of 8 tracks from a freind of his and inside was Black Sabbath. We would go to the store and when he got out of the car Black Sabbath went in. I was about 8 years old at the time. I wanted to play Drums like Bill Ward, but I got a acustic guitar instead (I guess he was hoping the country thing would get me) but it always pissed him of when I would play Paranoid and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
The good ol days....

Two things, my brother had Powerslave by Maiden--great album, that actually got me into playing guitar(as well as a 5th grader can) and then the thing that really hooked me was I saw the Indians video on Headbangers Ball(with Adam Curry)--the combination of the guitar and the chorus just got me--went to bed that night trying to remember it. The next day I went to the local mall and bought ATL on vinyl

A schoolmate, who's parents had much money, gave me some tapes about 17 or 18 years ago. Every week I "ordered" new tapes. He didn't label the tabes. So I allways had to ask him: "This song is cool. Who is this?" I bought my first records from these samplers. (Paradise Lost, Black Sabbath, Anthrax, Metallica, Speckman, Unleashed, Benediction, etc.) These were the days, when record companys knew that LP-ripping raises the sales figures.

He had some crap on these tapes, too. Till today I don't buy or even listen to bands like manowar, etc. :yuk:

So, after some listening sessions, me and my schoolmate were the only metalheads in school. (Today, age 30, I'm the one and only metalhead in school :tickled:)

:headbang:

My father - his fave band is Molly Hatchet, and when I was 10 he brought a couple of videos from his friend: Ozzy, DLR, Dio, Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Whitesnake, Celtic Frost...I was caught.

one of my mates friends lent me copied tapes of anthrax-state of euphoria,exodus_fab disater,wasp-electric circus(i think was the name) and testament-practice what u preach.

what an introduction to metal,i think those 4 tapes,well maybe not wasp so much really shaped what i listen to,straight forward metal and to the point,still the criteria as far as what i consider heavy although since i found the internet my tastes have become alot broader,i listen to country,blues,rock etc

there is so much good stuff other than metal to sink your teeth into and as far as new metal bands are concerned the last band i really got into would be slipknot,alot of people put shit on them but when u look at the root of what they are doing there music is full of great heavy riffs,just like the bands i first got introduced to and funnily enough slipknot are heavily influenced by the bands i first got introduced to,sorry for going on and on and on...

johnnieCzech said:
My father - his fave band is Molly Hatchet, and when I was 10 he brought a couple of videos from his friend: Ozzy, DLR, Dio, Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Whitesnake, Celtic Frost...I was caught.
I saw Molly Hatchet, Beatin' the Odds tour, still have a ballcap and a shirt somewhere. I was still in elementary school, had good seats 8th row I think. Drummer had an Animal Muppet strung up behind his kit!!! Merch was cheap back then.
The first metal album I bought new was Blizzard of Ozz.

Guns N Roses! simple as that.
I Heard "welcome to the jungle" at primary school and was hooked. my best mates big brother was a huge Maiden/Sabbath fan and had loads of records, Including AS and Anthrax.....

List of shame:
QUIREBOYS
DOGS DE AMORE (SP)
VAN HALEN
LITA FORD (dont ask)
KISS (face it they are shit bar 4 songs)
GWAR

List of Fame
Anthrax
Megadeth
Prong
Slayer
Biohazard

Metallica, actually. My friend played me some songs. Then after a while I discovered that there were like 2314523 better bands out there.

I was 7 yrs old and at my cousins house - I noticed some AC/DC and a Van Halen album. I was hooked. At 8 years old, I had my dad take me to see KISS and Judas Priest (opening band) - at 10 I went to see Van Halen and ever since then I have been going to shows - hundreds. But once I heard Anthrax back in the day, I became a huge fan of thrash and have been ever since - saw Thrax in 87 w/ Metal Church and since then I have seen every Thrax show here in Milwaukee and a few in Chicago.

I pretty much got myself into metal. Growing up it seemed like EVERYBODY around me listened to nothing but country and since metal seemed like about as anti-country as you could get at the time, I embraced it.

MTV actually, when they actually played videos.
I saw Metallica Enter Sandman, "what is this?"
Liked it, saw Megadeth Sweating Bullets, found a tape my sister had that said "Anthrax" on it and that was it. It was Anthrax I'm The Man, thought it was good. Friend of mine had Attack of the Killer B's, thought that was good. Another friend brought over Persistance of Time, haven't looked back since.

A friend gave me a cassette with Iron Maiden - Killers, and from then on there was no way back!
Also my brother deserves mentioning, for my 11. (or 12.?)birtday he gave me Persistence Of Time on cassette, he had sent a delivery boy from his shop out to get a tape during a lunch break, and luckily for me it was Anthrax! I was awestruck!!! :OMG:

Btw.: For some time I thought it couldn´t get any harder than Anthrax, until a guy (who was a DJ at a pop party) all of the sudden put Napalm Death on!

My parents always listened to Led Zep, Deep Purple, AC/DC etc. My older sister listened to Iron Maiden, Saxon, Judas Priest etc and the rest is history.

I think? the 1st record I brought was 'Live After Death' but that was a long time ago. Then I saw 'Madhouse' video and heard 'I Am The Law' and my music affair Anthrax started.

Geez...where does one start? Seventh grade...AC/DC, Def Leppard, and Van Halen for sure.Eighth and ninth grade..Dio, Iron Maiden, Crue, WASP( gotta love Blackie).End of ninth and it was all about Metallica, Exodus, Sanctuary, ANTHRAX, Testament, etc. And I owe it ALLLLLL to my friend Dee Dee in San Jose, Ca. !dneirfnikcufeciN

My cousin and a friend from elementry...lol. Gosh I remember first diggin' Master of Puppets....then I bought Powerslave...found Peace Sells...whew it all went down hill from there...I got into Anthrax about '88. Ahhh good times :Spin:

Me, myself and I. I started listning to Kiss when I was about 6 or 7. 1979-1980. Then on to Sabbath, ACDC, Led Zep and Priest. Mid 80's I really got into Metallica, Motley Crue, Maiden and of course Anthrax. Late 80's early 90's, Slayer, Pantera. Funny how my parents always said I would grow out heavy music. I still listen to all of the above plus Lamb Of God, Shadows Fall, Slipknot ect.......

I will always be Metal!!!!!

an old gfriend of mine...i was 12yo at the time..she was 14yo....she was heavy into maiden/sabbath/ozzy/thin lizzy/priest...used to go round hers and listen to that stuff....a friend from schools brother was listening to the same stuff around that time also...got into it..."borrowed" a copy of maidens piece of mind which i never returned..i even had a 6ft poster of justice for all, by the band i wont mention...parents said i would grow out of it soon...well...16years later...still listening to it....as does my 4yo son....constantly running around singin "your anti...your antisobal"...lol