Who's heard of Wolf?

Well, it's nice to see some people "get it" with these guys. They are not Maiden worship - but they are very influenced by the whole NWoBHM scene. Who gives a fuck if they are totally original?!? Hardly anyone is these days. If it's quality, it's worth listening to. I guess you have to be old school to appreciate what they're doing. And if all you own is their first disc, you are truly missing out.

Yeah, I met and hung out w/these guys at BWBK as well. They put on a good show. Straight up, no frills, heavy metal! I have all their albums and would say Black Wings is the best, but there's not a slouch in the lot. Yeah, the Maiden and other old school influences are there, being worn on their sleeves, but hey, if it kicks ass it kicks ass. Personally, I would love to see more new bands root themselves in traditional heavy metal. They have a bit of dark edge to 'em ala Mercyful Fate that you don't find much in today's "retro" bands. And for all you dissenters, Cellador will be here this fall and they're doing much the same thing.

Personally, I would love to see more new bands root themselves in traditional heavy metal. They have a bit of dark edge to 'em ala Mercyful Fate that you don't find much in today's "retro" bands.

Amen, brother! That is exactly my point. I cannot stand all this 'happy happy' metal out these days. It totally sucks and more bands should follow what these guys are doing in terms of songwriting - put some creepy feeling back into the song - try some minor keys, etc. I've had more than enough of this 'tra-la-la' happy hyperspeed chorus filled bullshit.

^^^ Yeah, the key of A minor was de rigueur in the '80's! Not to totally shun "happy" metal, cuz I do like a lot of it, but I've always liked the darker stuff 2x as much. Check out Doomsword from Italy for some throwback dark epic metal.