Why do so many people hate Anders Friden?

first of all I want to say I really hate him, because I think he is dragging down In Flames, who were the best band on earth. his brutal vocals on all IF albums and Skydancer are weak and it is obvious that he cant sing clean either. everyone who posts in this forum can replicate his clean vocal performance in r2r with the help of decent production. I can assure you that.

The only vocals of Anders' that I actually enjoy are the ones on The Jester Race. Anything else, I don't really like. Especially Reroute to Remain.. I mean, what the fuck were those guys thinking when that album was made?

The Frozen One said:
The only vocals of Anders' that I actually enjoy are the ones on The Jester Race. Anything else, I don't really like. Especially Reroute to Remain.. I mean, what the fuck were those guys thinking when that album was made?

Probably something like
"hmm, so you are saying this Linkin park band is doing a lot of money? interesting..."

Misanthrope said:
More like Lemons and Limes nowdays.

Lime didn't prevent English sailors from having scurvy (back in the days). Lemon did. :loco:

ive met him, he seems like a pretty cool guy. as for his clean vocals, the sounded way better on the passenger mp3 on the century media website. but then again, they may have been studio'ed up a bit, or he had a better day that day for vocals. as for pulling it off live. the last time i saw them was before R2R came out so i cant comment on that

Personally I love Friden's vocals in R2R, as well as Colony and Clayman....I can only speak for those coz I don't have their other albums. Contrary to what a lot of you seemingly metal purists are saying I think his clean vocals are good on R2R, namely Dawn Of A New Day, coz admittedly Metaphor is a bit too......weird.
You say an accomplished vocalist should be able to do clean singing, but Stanne isn't exactly the greatest......unless in their next album there's some clean singing and he's improved on Projector's vocals.
I might as well say what I listen to, seein's that would probably explain my point of view.

Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Arch Enemy, Soilwork, Moonspell, Lilitu, Corporation 187, The Haunted, Naglfar, Withering Surface, Detonation, Forest Stream, The Duskfall, Sentenced and Rakoth to name a few 'metal' bands, plus less heavy stuff like Lacuna Coil, Entwine, Without Face, etc.
BUT I'm also into the more commercial side of rock/metal, bands like The Used, Ill Nino, QOTSA, Hopesfall, My Chemical Romance, Evanescence, Disturbed, Audioslave, RHCP's, etc.

All of these in my opinion have talented vocalists in one way or another, but I'm sure you'll all disagree.

I would say that Friden has as much variation in his vocals as Stanne, but on the basis of vocals I'd much rather listen 'Dawn Of A New Day' then, say, 'Auctioned'.

I'll stop there, I'm just rambling, but yeah, I like Friden's vocals a lot.

I ask if you like Anders Friden, and I get a few responses and a bunch of assholes making fun of him. People also don't seem to realize that he is not the only reason why Reroute to Remain is not the greatest album. It was recorded in a different studio wit ha different producer, and that was a really bad choice. It wasn't as good as the rest of their work, but it is not like an of the shit pop rock bands. I won't say Anders Friden is horrible unless I hear him trying to rap.

Steve

Steve420 said:
I ask if you like Anders Friden, and I get a few responses and a bunch of assholes making fun of him. People also don't seem to realize that he is not the only reason why Reroute to Remain is not the greatest album. It was recorded in a different studio wit ha different producer, and that was a really bad choice. It wasn't as good as the rest of their work, but it is not like an of the shit pop rock bands. I won't say Anders Friden is horrible unless I hear him trying to rap.

Steve

Anders got the dreadlocks going... he might do rap someday. :)

Steve420 said:
I won't say Anders Friden is horrible unless I hear him trying to rap.

Steve

Well...
His vocals on the verses of System is considered rap by many listeners including me. You better start saying it...

if you think "dawn of a new day" is better than auctioned you're obviously on crack or just retarded.
stanne has one of the most awesome singing voices i've heard, friden on the other hand just whines and does a bad job even at that. stanne > friden

At least In Flames are trying to make positive statements in R2R instead of wallowing in negative feelings like DT.

Oh, and it's a bit hard to 'whine' positively.

Also for me, lyrics like 'Bring me splinters of tomorrow, collect the parts where I win' are a hell of a lot easier to relate to than the sometimes too obscure lyrics of DT, like on 'Cornered' - 'Spherelike chrome, on a sea enraged'....what? Spherelike chrome?

I'm not saying I can't interpret DT's lyrics generally, I can, but bits like that just puzzle me completely.

If I wanted to feel good I wouldn't listen 'Auctioned', I'd listen Dawn Of A New Day or Cloud Connected. If I wanted to listen quality music then I'd go listen Projector or something else, which is more than likely going to be depressing/dark/angst-ridden.

I actually wish DT would try a few songs with positivity in them, like 'Cornered', that sounds upbeat even though the lyrics aren't necessarily so. But then I guess they would be accused of seeling out or something.

emjayhaych said:
At least In Flames are trying to make positive statements in R2R instead of wallowing in negative feelings like DT.
Wallowing in negative feelings? Is that how you call accepting and embracing and discussing your negative feelings instead of running away from them?
And who said the world is a nice pink bubble with happy lovey-dovey thoughts for everyone?

emjayhaych said:
Also for me, lyrics like 'Bring me splinters of tomorrow, collect the parts where I win' are a hell of a lot easier to relate to than the sometimes too obscure lyrics of DT, like on 'Cornered' - 'Spherelike chrome, on a sea enraged'....what? Spherelike chrome?
The fact that you can't relate to them, or even understand them, doesn't mean they are bad lyrics. It rather suggests you are the one who doesn't get the point.
Imho, easy lyrics is not better lyrics.

emjayhaych said:
I'm not saying I can't interpret DT's lyrics generally, I can, but bits like that just puzzle me completely.
And so you reject whatever puzzles you?

emjayhaych said:
I actually wish DT would try a few songs with positivity in them, like 'Cornered', that sounds upbeat even though the lyrics aren't necessarily so. But then I guess they would be accused of seeling out or something.
They wouldn't be accused of anything, as long as they write whatever they feel like writing. And as long as they write that, they are honest and sincere, firstly towards themselves, and then towards their fans.

All in all, it seems to me you prefer to not be puzzled, not be mentally and emotionally stimulated, but instead be fed with an anaesthetic. If that is the case, you better be off listening to some pop. :)

Siren (harsh)

Reactions: Tranquillian
emjayhaych said:
Personally I love Friden's vocals in R2R, as well as Colony and Clayman....I can only speak for those coz I don't have their other albums. Contrary to what a lot of you seemingly metal purists are saying I think his clean vocals are good on R2R, namely Dawn Of A New Day, coz admittedly Metaphor is a bit too......weird.
You say an accomplished vocalist should be able to do clean singing, but Stanne isn't exactly the greatest......unless in their next album there's some clean singing and he's improved on Projector's vocals.
I might as well say what I listen to, seein's that would probably explain my point of view.

Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Arch Enemy, Soilwork, Moonspell, Lilitu, Corporation 187, The Haunted, Naglfar, Withering Surface, Detonation, Forest Stream, The Duskfall, Sentenced and Rakoth to name a few 'metal' bands, plus less heavy stuff like Lacuna Coil, Entwine, Without Face, etc.
BUT I'm also into the more commercial side of rock/metal, bands like The Used, Ill Nino, QOTSA, Hopesfall, My Chemical Romance, Evanescence, Disturbed, Audioslave, RHCP's, etc.

All of these in my opinion have talented vocalists in one way or another, but I'm sure you'll all disagree.

I would say that Friden has as much variation in his vocals as Stanne, but on the basis of vocals I'd much rather listen 'Dawn Of A New Day' then, say, 'Auctioned'.

I'll stop there, I'm just rambling, but yeah, I like Friden's vocals a lot.

Stanne is a way better vocalist than Friden.
Friden cant sing live (even his "growls" sounds horrible) and his clean vocals are completely out of pace, even on the studio records.
Stanne pulls off his clean vocals perfectly with enormous emotion, even live.
The only vocalist who can threaten the vocals he did on The Gallery/Projector is the Opeth guy.
Anyway, Friden is OK on Clayman/Colony, great on Whoracle, worthless on Reroute IMO.

NP: Pantera - Cemetery Gates