Why doom is the future of metal

One Inch Man said:
I like my sentence structure on that last post. I know several people that don't like Sabbath, and they are certainly metal. :)
Yeah but how old are they? And what is the turnover rate for people listening to metal in their teens and taking it into their 30's, 40's, 50's etc? Maybe 5% a most? There are lots of 'temporary' metal fans who stay in it for 2 years and then start getting laid. :)

Still, if these so called metallers are in it for life, and they don't like Sabbath, then they're probably confusing metal with noise. :loco:

All I'm saying is that to define music in its pure form is not as subjective as you think it is. Take emotions in classical music:

sad
happy
triumphant
relaxing
etc

An infant will react accordingly to each of those emotions carried in within the music. Nobody has taught the child how to react, there is nothing subjective about it. If a child does not react accordingly then it is probably disturbed or autistic. This is music in it's absolute purest form because it carries a language that doesn't need to be taught.

So back on subject, you refer to doom, and I refer to doom in its purest form. Sorry to disagree, but I do think of Sabbath as doom in its purest form. Or let's put it another way, it is heavy metal in its purest form. They are the building blocks of metal. And surely that is what explains the whole point in your thread, provided you interpret Sabbath as a doom metal band of course. And if you don't, then THAT is the only part that becomes subjective.

I haven't read all the replies to this thread, but from Erik's original post... I just have a couple of thoughts.

1. Doom is awesome, and seems to be the kind of thing that will stay in the background, producing great albums but never taking over or becoming the "future of metal". It's great now, it's been great since Sabbath, Candlemass etc. and it's quite fucking diverse. Cheers to doom!

2. I very much agree with the guy (possibly JK, possibly not) who said that doom riffs get an emotional response out of people regardless of whether people identify them as "doom" or not. Works for me, anyway.

3. People likely said the same things about black metal and death metal back in the late 80s/early 90s (I'm too new to this shit to know what it was like back then). Who knows what'll happen in the future, and frankly, who cares? All this over-analysing is pretty worthless if you ask me. True innovation doesn't come from trying too fucking hard to make things weird and experimental. Often enough, that leads to "noise" or some kind of wankery. I don't know if this dissecting-everything and trying-to-force-innovation attitude is a recent development in art, or if it's been around from the beginning, but I don't like it.

threads like this are stupid as hell

who really needs to discuss music, just listen to your god damn records and shut the hell up

Reactions: NAD
I'm much more of a doom fan today than I was when this thread was birthed. [/how interesting]

I keep hearing about Bloody Panda but no one tells me what they sound like and I'm too lazy to research sound files. Are they worth bothering, somehow unique at the least? What is Bloody Panda, people?

blank_facepalm_224.gif

I'm not really convinced its worthwhile to spend much time thinking about which direction the future of metal is heading.

It'll only be once the dust settles and we have the clarity of hindsight that we'll see where its current trajectories are bound to end up.

Yeah I used to speak in Future Sound of Whatever tones, artistic integrity of the masses failing, blah blah blah. These days, if I like it, I like it. No justification needed.

Which reminds me, everyone should listen to Acid Witch. RIGHT NOW.

Erik: 2020 update on the future of metal please, kthxbye.

Also, can Doom be the future of metal when a poser like me is getting into it?

it is 2020, i would rather not be making predictions about the future of anything