with '06 more than hlaf over, what are yur fav CDs this year (so far)?

SoundMaster said:
How does it compare to the awesome debut?
I think it's better. Like Wheezer said, they haven't changed their style, just kicked up the quality a notch or two. If you like their first one, you'd like it.

So far for me in order:

1. NOCTURNAL RITES "Grand Illusion"
2. ASTRAL DOORS "Astralism"
3. VIRON "NWOGHM"
4. EDGUY "Rocket Ride"
5. DESTYNATION "Rising Up"
6. DIRTY RIG "Rock Did It"
7. GRAVE DIGGER "25 to Live"
8. RAGE "Speak of the Dead"

Saving two slots for Wolf and Sabaton (just ordered it) which I believe are sure to be in my top ten!

:headbang:

Bryant said:
I will hold off on my top five due to just getting the new Leatherwolf. This could break my top five. I am digging it.
I totally forgot about this, great album. I still have to, uh, actually buy it at some point though.:oops:

rokk said:
7. GRAVE DIGGER "25 to Live"
This was a 2005 release actually, in Europe at least. Still one of the better metal dvds I've seen and worth mentioning no matter the year.:headbang:

I just shuffled mine, but I have to review my first place to see if I switched with number two.

On the other hand I'm waiting for the new Wolf who which probably shuffle everything on the first three places.

Not a good first half at all so far in 2006. Compared to the exceptional year that was 2005, this year will not measure up for me.

However, there are still releases by Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden, and Jon Oliva's Pain that will improve the year dramatically, me thinks.

Anyhoo, my top 5 releases for 2006 so far:

1. Pyramaze - The Legend of the Bone Carver
2. Metal Church - A Light in the Dark
3. Attacker - The Unknown
4. Hammers of Misfortune - The Locust Years
5. Temple of Blood - Prepare for the Judgment of Mankind
6. Beyond Fear - s/t

Since we're at it, I will also list my disappointments for 2006 as well:

1. Seven Witches - Amped (awful, just awful and I really dig this band)
2. Edguy - Rocket Ride (I am not a fan of the new goofy rock style)
3. Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime Pt. II (not a big disappointment because I was not expecting it to be great like the first one but still...I was expecting better than this)

Iced Ray said:
Since we're at it, I will also list my disappointments for 2006 as well:

1. Seven Witches - Amped (awful, just awful and I really dig this band)

Passage To The Other Side was an awesome album, one of the best traditional metal albums of the last 5 years or so IMO. They almost dropped the ball with the so-so Year Of The Witch, and I'm not sure if I even want to hear this new one... :zombie:

I won't say I'm dissapointed but I expected more from Manigance, Rick Wakeman and Black Steel too.

tsorl said:
Passage To The Other Side was an awesome album, one of the best traditional metal albums of the last 5 years or so IMO. They almost dropped the ball with the so-so Year Of The Witch, and I'm not sure if I even want to hear this new one... :zombie:

Passage was a really good album and Year of the Witch was good, too, albeit a step down from Passage.

But do trust me, Amped is much, much worse.

Metal

1. 1. Pharaoh – “The Longest Night”
2. Sabaton – “Attero Dominatus”
3. Abandoned – “Thrash Notes”
4. Tipton, Entwistle & Powell – “Edge Of The World”
5. Jorn – “The Duke”
6. Astral Doors – “Astralism”
7. Manigance – “L’Ombre Et La Lumière”
8. Doro – “Warrior Soul”
9. Majesty – “Hellforces”
10. Venom – “Metal Black”
11. Benedictum – “Uncreation”
12. Cellador – “Enter Deception”
13. Black Crucifixion – “Faustian Dream”
14. Luca Turilli – “The Infinite Wonders Of Creation”
15. Black Steel – “Hellhammer”
16. Fatal Force – “Fatal Force”

Non-metal

1. The Tangent – “A Place In The Queue”
2. Waterclime – “The Astral Factor”
3. The Flower Kings – “Paradox Hotel”
4. Joe Satriani – “Super Colossal”
5. Rick Wakeman – “Retro”
6. Blackmore’s Night – “The Village Lanterne”

tsorl said:
I totally forgot about this, great album. I still have to, uh, actually buy it at some point though.:oops:

I am glad I am not the only one who digs the Leatherwolf.

#1 Vanden Plas - "Christ Zero." This blows everything else away. Great release.
#2 Sieges Even - "Navigating by the Stars" This is a 2005 release, so technically it doesn't belong here, but it is new to me and too good not to mention.
#3 Red Circuit - "Trance State" - this one took a long time to hit me, but now I love it.
#4 The new Leatherwolf - I love their blend of classic metal and modern power metal. This is ripping stuff.
#5 Jorn - "The Duke" This one also took a while, but it is interesting stuff.

Bryant

1. Queensryche - Mindcrime II (This was a fine sequel - was in MC1 - NO! But considering it was 20 years later and considering their last 3 albums this was more than welcome)
2. Edguy - Rocket Ride (It may not have been Hellfire or Theater of Sal. but this was a very fun album to listen to while still maintaining the Edguy sound)
3. Warrant - Reborn (This was a nice surprise - wasn't really what I was expecting but a welcome return to form from the boys)
4. Final Axe - Axe of the Appostles (Titanic has always been one of my favorite band, despite the fact that very few people have heard of them - this was their before they formed with the same singer and guitarist - and ROBERT SWEET guests on this disc :loco:)
5. Pyramaze - Legend of the Bone Carver (Great second album by these guys - Lance King is a Vocal GOD!)

--------

Most of the albums I'm waiting for this year are still to be released, some of those discs are: New Skid Row, New Sebastian Bach, New Maiden, Z-Lot-Z, Sword's Reunion Album, Wycked Synn - In For the Kill.

poundingmetal74 said:
Most of the albums I'm waiting for this year are still to be released, some of those discs are: New Skid Row, New Sebastian Bach, New Maiden, Z-Lot-Z, Sword's Reunion Album, Wycked Synn - In For the Kill.
Sword's Reunion Album??? Surely you don't mean the band responsible for two killer albums in the 80s entitled Metalized and Sweet Dreams. :worship: