Within Temptation

alexofbodom

Feb 24, 2002
Visit site
I saw Within Temptation live last night in Barcelona and I must admit that they put up a great show. I am not a big fan of them, but their live delivery is a close to perfect as possible. Everything from the sound to the stage show was prefect...they used a backscreen were they projected videos of different landscapes, from jungle to desert to space, etc, to go along the songs they played. Very neat! I still don't consider myself a fan of them but I have to admit that they are truly a professional band when it comes to their live performance...needless to say, I had a lot of fun. Good stuff!

Man, I'm envious. I'm a pretty big fan of WT, and I would love to see them live. About as close as I've come is the DVD they put out. They're pretty flawless on that as well.

While I don't think Glenn will persue them for PP, it still would be great to see them live. Maybe I can catch them the next time I go to Europe to visit the family.

Glad you enjoyed the show.

Within Temptation is one of those bands that I want to keep giving another chance. People expect me to be a big fan of theirs because I am a huge fan of Lacuna Coil and Nightwish.

I have their first two albums, and while both have some good songs ("Mother Earth"), there are other tracks that leave me cold or that I despise out right ("In Perfect Harmony"). I did hear their recent cover of Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill," and liked it OK - I am curious to hear their new album.

nice, WT is tonight, but i prefer saving for other concerts or festivals in the summer... looking forward to Kamelot epica and kotipelto!

nightwish58 said:
Why do you say that? I think they would fit in perfectly. Great band that i am dying to see live!

I remember seeing a previous post where Glenn described contacting several people associated with WT about possibly playing the show. He said he never got a response from anyone, and the tone of his post suggested he was annoyed by that. I assumed he probably wouldn't try again. You'd have to read the post to see what I mean.

You never know though, maybe Glenn would consider them again. I tried to find that post, but apparently the search feature for this forum was removed. I guess we'll see in the years to come. I was kind of hoping for a shot at them this year because of the new album and what not.

I agree with you that WT would fit in with the show perfectly, and they would probably be pretty well received too.

I find that Within Temptation is one of my favorite bands right now. I considered flying to Europe to see them, but that would be a lot of money to see one band. I'd rather keep hoping that they will come to see the US as a potential market. I sent their marketing company an e-mail asking them to pursue PP. They probably ignored it. Even if they did, Glenn might have been pissed enough to not consider them. I think it would be a great move for them, and they'd be a great fit.

I remember seeing a previous post where Glenn described contacting several people associated with WT about possibly playing the show. He said he never got a response from anyone, and the tone of his post suggested he was annoyed by that. I assumed he probably wouldn't try again. You'd have to read the post to see what I mean.
>>>>

That's a shame! I might have been able to help him out on this one, since I've known the band from day 1. But I can understand that it is very hard to contact them. They just got a new manager and even for the people who were on "first name basis" it's nearly impossible to get to talk to them anymore.

Actually, I would sugggest you listen to another dutch band called After Forever, because they would fit a progbill far better than Within Temptation ever could! I mean, I have always been a huge supporter of WT but ever since AF came into their form I am convinced they are the better one of the two.
After Forevers'singer is something you have to hear in order to believe it- she is amazing! One of the best, if not THE best I ever heard. Not to mention that the have a great live show, lots of experience and last but not least a more prog element to their tunes.

Go check em out> www.afterforever.com

I have to agree, I like many elements of After Forever better than Within Temptation, including the fact that the music is better, more inventive, and the singer isn't pretentious at all. WT stalled for a while too, whereas AF has pushed forward at every angle. Both bands are very good, but IMO After Forever is the better of the two. Not that I would complain if EITHER or BOTH played PP.

Morticia NL. said:
>>>>

That's a shame! I might have been able to help him out on this one, since I've known the band from day 1. But I can understand that it is very hard to contact them. They just got a new manager and even for the people who were on "first name basis" it's nearly impossible to get to talk to them anymore.

Actually, I would sugggest you listen to another dutch band called After Forever, because they would fit a progbill far better than Within Temptation ever could! I mean, I have always been a huge supporter of WT but ever since AF came into their form I am convinced they are the better one of the two.
After Forevers'singer is something you have to hear in order to believe it- she is amazing! One of the best, if not THE best I ever heard. Not to mention that the have a great live show, lots of experience and last but not least a more prog element to their tunes.

Morticia NL. said:
>>>>

Totally agree. After Forever rocks!!! They would definitely fit better since Within Temptation is rather commercial. Epica would also be a great choice...I have seen them once and they put on a great show...I was impressed but the singer's stage presence, constantly banging her head and making her hair fly in circles...she could give some lessons to Tarja (Nightwish) about how to move on stage.

I was actually impressed with Tarja's stage presence. I didn't know what to expect, but I liked that she got out and headbanged a little :)

Ruthven said:
I was actually impressed with Tarja's stage presence. I didn't know what to expect, but I liked that she got out and headbanged a little :)

Heh, I was thinking the same thing. I'd been expecting a fairly sedate, opera-like stage presence from her and was totally surprised by how much she was getting into it, headbanging, fist-pumping, etc. I remember thinking "Now, I know I heard her warming up by singing opera scales in the dressing room right before the show*........is this the same person? Wow!"

-=-=-=-=-
* which, BTW, sounded pretty surreal echoing around the backstage of Earthlink Live. I don't think operatic scales are something you hear back there too often. :)

Say, I thought this was a Within Temptation thread? :D Actually I agree with you. I had this idea she would be sedate and stately, even statuesque, but instead she did seem to get into it and remain unpretentious all the while. Very impressive.

Pellaz said:
Heh, I was thinking the same thing. I'd been expecting a fairly sedate, opera-like stage presence from her and was totally surprised by how much she was getting into it, headbanging, fist-pumping, etc. I remember thinking "Now, I know I heard her warming up by singing opera scales in the dressing room right before the show*........is this the same person? Wow!"

-=-=-=-=-
* which, BTW, sounded pretty surreal echoing around the backstage of Earthlink Live. I don't think operatic scales are something you hear back there too often. :)

Tarja's stage presence has changed a lot over the years. She has grown to be better and bettrer- less shy.

Back to After Forever> I do not know when they were contacted, but they have been going through some harsh shit lately. Their drummer was diagnosed with cancer and next thing he was in hospital. He is now up for his second chemo therapy and maybe that is the reason they did not answer.
I could contact them personally, if interest is still there. Same goes for Epica.
Though I have to say that the After Forever singer is truely the best of all of them!

Fact> Mark of Epica was in After Forever for years, he started the band with the singer ( Floor) and guitarist ( Sander). Then they he had to leave the band and founded Epica. First singer of Epica was Helen Irena Michealsen, former singer of Trail of Tears ( singer of Imperia nowadays) , but she was kicked out. Then Mark suggested his girlfriend: Simone. she has been the singer ever since and turned out to be a great replacement.

Bummer for AF! I hope he pulls through. I really love Floor's voice, though I am more impressed with Sharon's. AF's music is a bit more complex, ubt WT's is a bit more accessible. I think they (WT) are one of those bands that could draw more people into underground metal - kinda like Opeth did with Damnation. They have enough really easy to listen to music (not like easy listening, but less heavy) that they could draw some people in and eventually get into their old stuff. AF worked that way for my wife. The first couple of times she heard them, she said, "WTF is that?" After listening a bit, she started to like them. Now she doesn't mind the death metal growls as much.

Ha ha, I remember the first time I heard growls on a record- this is looong before any Gothic metal was around, so no easy listening stuff to get into the sound, just straight on death metal. I thought> horrible!!! I am never ever gonna listen to "singing" that sounds like this. But it kinda grows on you with time and before you know it you are singing along to some nice six feet under tunes -LOL. Much to the amazement of my neighbours......

Morticia NL. said:
Back to After Forever> I do not know when they were contacted, but they have been going through some harsh shit lately. Their drummer was diagnosed with cancer and next thing he was in hospital. He is now up for his second chemo therapy and maybe that is the reason they did not answer.
I could contact them personally, if interest is still there. Same goes for Epica.
Though I have to say that the After Forever singer is truely the best of all of them!

Glenn contacted them about a possible spot at last year's festival, way before the current situation with André.

I talked briefly with Floor about this last year after one of their gigs in my town. I know why they didn't played in the US and that they did know about the invitation. Don't know why the band and/or management didn't answered, but i do know that that's the least you could do.

Henk