Would anyone care to see a Spock's Beard reunion and Mike Portnoy with Neal Morse?

Artilect

New Metal Member
Sep 14, 2012
I have been painstakingly trying to get ahold of the booking for Prog Power festival. I've made some connections with Neal and Spock's Beard and they are both genuinely interested in playing a future Prog Power festival gig... with Portnoy on drums. I booked and promo'd a gig for Neal and Mike in Jacksonville, Fl with great success, and have upcoming gigs lined up for Spock's... as well as some other tentative dates for prominant prog bands... I just need some help reaching the head man at Prog Power. Can anyone pleeeeease hit me up at my email to see if we can make this happen?

jehu12141987@gmail.com

Thank you!

Official inquiries from the agent would need to be made as I do not discuss bookings with anyone otherwise. And for the record, we spoke to Chris Thompson of Radiant Records back in April of '12.

I have no idea how "painstakingly" your inquiry has been as everyone on the planet can email me via the website.

Haha I would think Glenn is probably the easiest promoter of all time to get a hold of. I love Spock's/Neal/MP but would you even consider that for the fest? Big names for sure and you've had lots of oddballs, but the prog rock they play would seem even more oddball than oddballs. :p

Honestly, my issue lies more with Portnoy's requirements more than anything else. Unlike outdoor festivals or larger indoor arenas, we do not have a rolling riser situation where we can simply roll his kit up there and be ready to go. While we have swapped kits out for headliners in the past on occasion, those drummers are aware and willing to work with us on the change-over (note I said drummers...not a specific asshole tour manager).

Although I have never met Mike, I have nothing but respect for him regardless of how he has been portrayed in the media. Hell, he even tried to talk Arch into performing with Fates at the festival a few years ago on our behalf. I'd go to the wall for him for that alone. That said, I am very skeptical that I could meet his professional requirements in our festival setting without him making a lot of concessions. I would not enjoy that discussion with his booking agent.

Gotta love the John Arch story, never heard that mentioned before. Even though he loves Ray Alder reading comments from him I'm always been led to believe he loves the John Arch era more, Arch even auditioned for DT prior to James LaBrie getting the gig. Too bad it didn't happen because that would have been amazing (the Arch reunion).:yow:

I would love to see this happen ! Portnoy could play on any kit in the world and destroy !
I saw him play with Transatlantic and he had a really small kit , the PP kit would be more than enough !
Also saw him play with HAIL and that was a basic rock kit .
It is Prog Power after all and they are masters of Prog !!

The size of the kit is not the issue. We have a rather impressive kit that has never received a complaint.

The issue is the on the fly set-up, re-mic, and also the endorsed gear. Mike is used to walking on stage, sound-checking, and playing without anything being touched after that happens. If he ever truly wanted to be here and was willing to work with me on those issues, I'd make it happen (for whatever band).

It would almost be worth it to book them just to see Harris the Epic's reaction to the keyboards plot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fpl-Ldtlpw
I get help, right?
I mean I'm not complaining. I'm just saying, for the sake of changeover time. I might need another me :p

I would love to see this happen ! Portnoy could play on any kit in the world and destroy !
I saw him play with Transatlantic and he had a really small kit , the PP kit would be more than enough !
Also saw him play with HAIL and that was a basic rock kit .
It is Prog Power after all and they are masters of Prog !!
Yeah, I don't think Mike always uses the Monster. I'm pretty sure the monster was a Dream Theater thing. He doesn't use it for the cover bands or Flying Colors I don't thinks, so I kinda doubt he would with this. Unless they ask him, in which case I'd be like "Do I have to help set that up AND Neal's keys?"

I know PP has the best setup !
I think Portnoy would work with You so I say give it a shot !
Nothing for Nothing if you could get Portnoy on the bill that would be a huge feather in the PP cap !

Not that I have any right to comment on this thread, but WHAT????

How the heck would you know or not know what Portnoy would be willing to do? Your comment read almost as if Portnoy would do it, you know, out of his love for all things "Metal" so he would forego his performance requirements.

I am not sure if you have ever booked a show, or been in a band, but have you ever read a contract or rider? Portnoy has VERY publically displayed his disapproval of what, in his mind, are poor playing conditions.

Finally, I really don't think booking Portnoy would be a feather in PPs cap. To be honest, I think, esp here in the States, playing PP would benefit Portnoy more than the converse.

Not that I have any right to comment on this thread, but WHAT????

How the heck would you know or not know what Portnoy would be willing to do? Your comment read almost as if Portnoy would do it, you know, out of his love for all things "Metal" so he would forego his performance requirements.

I am not sure if you have ever booked a show, or been in a band, but have you ever read a contract or rider? Portnoy has VERY publically displayed his disapproval of what, in his mind, are poor playing conditions.

Finally, I really don't think booking Portnoy would be a feather in PPs cap. To be honest, I think, esp here in the States, playing PP would benefit Portnoy more than the converse.

I have no idea what Portnoy would say ? I have been around bands for a long time so I do know a little bit :D
I really don't get why you would say PP = poor playing conditions ?
A festival is never going to run as smooth as a bands tour but I think Glenn's boys and girls do very well !
I know alot of people don't think to much about Portnoy in the last few years but he still is one of the greatest drummers ever IMHO :worship:

I have no idea what Portnoy would say ? I have been around bands for a long time so I do know a little bit :D
I really don't get why you would say PP = poor playing conditions ?
A festival is never going to run as smooth as a bands tour but I think Glenn's boys and girls do very well !
I know alot of people don't think to much about Portnoy in the last few years but he still is one of the greatest drummers ever IMHO :worship:

Oh, I am sure Glenn's folks do a damn fine job.
Everyone I know who has attended has always stated as such.

My point had nothing to do with PP, and I wasn't implying that PP were poor conditions. It was more about Portnoy and how he might react to what "he" perceived as poor conditions (IE - kit not large enough, etc).

Sorry if I misinterpreted your comments. My knee jerk reaction was that your comments were to suggest there would be no issues whatsoever in working with Portnoy. Maybe there truly wouldn't be, and that would be great.

Regarding the drum set, it's not about a kit not being large enough, it's about it not being right for what he's playing the way he's playing it. That's why really good drummers like Mike Portnoy always play on their own kit, because the kit itself is right for them. It's not about size for a drummer. (Well maybe in a dick measuring contest it might be but you know what I mean.)
That's like saying Rick Wakeman's sons are gonna come play ProgPower because we have a lot of keyboards.

Actually, this is arguable, as all the other bands use the house kit, and nobody's to say they're not good.

I don't know how much of a fantasy this thread is, but I would definitely offer a sponsorship for this. I love Spock's Beard, Neal's solo stuff, and Portnoy is a god.

If you have a contract for something to be done right and someone shanks it...I think you're a bit entitled to be pissed. Sure the optics are bad, but you don't know the conditions under which he was really working. To me it looks like for the level of frustration he was having he was being pretty cool.

I remember what Shaffer looked like when his amp blew near the end of their set. He looked far more pissed than this.