Would you buy a live cd based on the PP DVD/CD?

Kevin Madden

Late Night Baby-Sitter
Nov 18, 2005
Oregon
That's the question I asked myself when listening to the live cd of last year's show. What I mean is, each band got two songs, but how many of those bands, if they put out a live cd of their whole performance, would you buy the cd? I can say that the only one I would definitely say yes to is Circle to Circle, which is weird because I only have their debut cd and don't really have any interest in the others. But,their two cuts on the cd sound REALLY good. Some of the other bands sound ok (I'd probably buy a Freak Kitchen live disc, too), but some are very rough (Mercenary, for example - -love the band, but the live singing is pretty bad). Epica, to me, is unlistenable. Some of the others are hit-or-miss. Are there any plans for any of the complete performances to be released?

Kevin

Don't know the leaglities of all of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the PP footage from FK ends up on their upcoming DVD, if they have the rights to it, which I * think * they do, but I'm not 100% positive. Most of the DVD will be from their 2 sold out nights at Storan. I know you said cds, but Savage Circus has released, or is releasing their set from PP this past year on DVD.

If I dig the band, liked their set, and they don't tweeze it too much, I'd most definately buy!

That's the question I asked myself when listening to the live cd of last year's show. What I mean is, each band got two songs, but how many of those bands, if they put out a live cd of their whole performance, would you buy the cd? I can say that the only one I would definitely say yes to is Circle to Circle, which is weird because I only have their debut cd and don't really have any interest in the others. But,their two cuts on the cd sound REALLY good. Some of the other bands sound ok (I'd probably buy a Freak Kitchen live disc, too), but some are very rough (Mercenary, for example - -love the band, but the live singing is pretty bad). Epica, to me, is unlistenable. Some of the others are hit-or-miss. Are there any plans for any of the complete performances to be released?

Kevin

heh, that's funny..... I regard the C II C tracks as unwatchable, precisely because they sound tooo good. Too much post-production audio tweaking...and that's putting it mildly.

I'd buy professionally-released DVDs of Epica's set, and also Mercenary's (who did not re-do their vocals), and FK's. Probably also Vision Divine's and Evergrey's, too.
Err, but not all at once. :lol:

If you purchase the latest Wuthering Heights disc "The Shadow Cabinet" you get a free bonus disc of the band's live performance at ProgPower. We did it because we can...

Ken Golden
The Laser's Edge
www.lasercd.com

The CD is very hard to listen to IMO. With the exception of Circus Maximus, most of it is very unlistenable. How is it that such a young band can totally outshine all the others? They are amazing. Most of the other mixes are just awful, again IMO.

Yo Ken. A quick question, was there any particular reason why The Never Shining Stones made it onto the bonus disc for Shadow Cabinet? I'm not like bitching or anyting, just curious.

I think in terms of releasing one, single show like this as a live album it would be best to package it with a future release as a bonus like Ken did. Most of the bands don't play near enough really to warrant this one show as the main feature of really anything. I'm still wondering why Savage Circus is going to release a DVD of a show where the founder of the band wasn't even there and it's the same songs as the ONE studio album that's out with a cover.

So yea, most bands should tack this on as a bonus to something whether it's a bonus disc live cd, or a companion show on a bigger DVD release.

If you purchase the latest Wuthering Heights disc "The Shadow Cabinet" you get a free bonus disc of the band's live performance at ProgPower. We did it because we can...

Ken Golden
The Laser's Edge
www.lasercd.com

And I purchased this from you. :)

I am not a live cd fan. I did like the fact however that this disc was included as a bonus. Would I have purchased the live disc alone? NO. But as a pack in, it makes for a cool package.

Thanks Ken. :kickass:

All the live mixes seemed a bit washy on the instrumentation to me, unless the band had taken the tracks into the studio and tweeked, (andd you can tell which ones did this). But the rest were what you heard live, and mixed by the same guy that recorded the tracks right at the venue. No overdubs for the pyramaze stuff, although personally I would have really liked to hear more GUITARS!
I mean these are METAL bands lol!

Rest assured any band releasing a live DVD would in fact remix the entire audio and some most likly would re-record crappy parts they're not happy with.. but why would anyone need to ad crowd noise to the prog-power shows...YOU GUYS WERE AWSOME!

Rage on Thunderheads.:headbang:

Daybreaker said:

<<Yo Ken. A quick question, was there any particular reason why The Never Shining Stones made it onto the bonus disc for Shadow Cabinet? I'm not like bitching or anyting, just curious. >>

I don't understand the question. :(

Ken Golden

At Prog Power V when Wuthering Heights played they opened with the Ever Shining Stones from their second album. The set on the Prog Power cd on Shadow Cabinet doesn't include this song and starts off with Tree. I was just wondering why that particular song got cut.