Yes

Kushantaiidan

SPASIBA AX.
I think I may have posted this thread a long time ago.

Oh well...

Who here likes Yes? They were a great prog rock band that started in the late 60's. Maybe even the first prog band, and they pretty much created a genre. They are amazing musicians, and the music was decades ahead of it's time. I have quite a few albums. But like nearly every band in existance, they went down down down. After the genius of "relayer" 1974, they began to sway, and in "Tormato" 1978 something was wrong, and everything after "Drama" 1980 is absolute garbage.

But they were a great band.

I have the following albums, which is still a FRACTION of what they released:

Time And A Word - 1970 (With a full accompanying orchestra, amazing)
The Yes Album - 1971 (First real progressive record)
Fragile - 1971 (Progressive style evolved on)
Close To The Edge - 1972 (Experimental, lengthy, epic)
Tales From Topographic Oceans - 1973 (Their most loved and hated weird long nutty album)
Relayer - 1974 (Pure genius, Most epic album, kinda chaos/peace theme.)
Going For The One - 1977 (Some of this album is ok)
Tormato - 1978 (Shorter songs, comercialized, kinda ok.)
Drama - 1980 (First song is evil, rest sounds like 80's crap)
Talk - 1994 (There are some heavy riffs in this album, but it is already grandma music, slightly proggresive)
The Ladder - 1999 (Trash)

Here is a link to their Discography:

http://yes.iq.pl/e/albums.htm

I swear the members of Opeth MUST like yes, because some of the accoustic parts just sound so familiar, and Steve is a genius, hell all the members are.

Also, the artwork on their albums is excellent:

relayer.jpg

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
Maybe even the first prog band, and they pretty much created a genre.

King Crimson might have something to say about that.

I only have one Yes album, Tales from Topographic Oceans. I very much like it when I listen to it... but as I get these older prog bands, I tend to just get one album from each band... to at least have a most basic concept of their sound, but somehow new stuff always pulls at me more when CD money comes available again...

Next band up for me, Goblin... I have a 'best of' but need some proper albums...

I still listen to all of their "albums" up to Going for the one. After that I also believe their stuff is CRAP! The same goes for Rush after Moving Pictures I bought a few of their albums and never upgraded them to discs, but the earlier stuff still is great!

Originally posted by Jim LotFP
King Crimson might have something to say about that.

I think the first prog-rock band was the Beatles. They did some really whacky and intricate stuff during their drug phase. They also experimented with some unusual song structures. I not sure which albums they are, a friend of mine played them for me about a year ago, it's got some really proggy stuff that was well ahead of it's time and it pre-dates every prog-rock/metal band I'm aware of, even Sabbath and KC.

Satori

To me, Yes is the most progressive and musically advanced rock group ever, and their best stuff came well before the 80's.

Yes RULE.

I'm still waiting for the "next Yes" actually, and at this point I doubt it will come any time soon.

I love Yes, but only the older stuff.

Satori

I used to dislike them, but now I love them, yes ! Especially "Close to the Edge".

Satori: the Beatles albums you're talking about are "Sgt. Pepper's" and "Magical Mystery Tour" - my favourites from them too; but there's some really good and weird stuff on "The White Album" - witness "Revolution #9".

But as far as the most musically advanced and progressive rock bands go, Yes have never reached the level of the true champions of composition: GENTLE GIANT!

D Mullholand

I'm also curious about the next yes album. Another full orchestral accompanyment.

And though the ladder was crap, it was heading in the right direction, so there new album might be good. Isn't it called reflections or something?

"Close to the Edge" is amazing.

Also, I'm interested in the Beatles.

I taped an 8 hours special that was on TV, and it should songs through out their careers, and showed their progression, which was quite fascinating.

I had no idea that they were so nuts. Like Strawberry Feilds, and I am The Walrus.

Can someone give me their discography, and small descriptions?

Or a link to a GOOD discography?

thx.

I like all their classics and stuff, but even more amazing is the fact how they still nail those pieces live note-for-note. For a prog band they still sound pleasantly relaxed instead of just bashing away on their instruments. The closest I've ever got to musical ecstasy was at their current tour - let that speak for itself. I still hope for Opeth live to correct that fact, but an easy job it is not. ;)

I want the Keys to Ascention DVD.

I saw it oce, and had no money.

They would be great live.

I've seenpictures, and often Steve howe has like 17 thoudand guitars around his neck.. and they are all doing stuff.

But It baffles me how they still rock on with their old stuff live, but they release junk in the way of studio albums. It baffles me.

yes vs Gentle giant would actually be an interesting debate as they are two completely different bands. I find it strange that Yes are often called pretentious and King Crimson are not (i love both bands), and strange that Yes are rarely acknowledged as an influence. They have done their fare share of crap but what band over 30 years has'nt?. Steve Howe would have to be my favourite guitarist.

Firstly, Gentle Giant is much more complex and progressive I think. Not necessarily better, but GG wins in that respect I think...plus they come off as much less pretentious IMO.

And anyone into Yes should be getting the new remasters that just came out. Fragile especially sounds better compared to the 95 Atlantic remaster (although if you're not a huge fan the Atlantic version is just fine if you can find it cheap). I can't wait until they remaster Close To The Edge and Relayer (the former since it is easily the best Yes has to offer and the latter since the Atlantic version sounds like shit).

this topic comes up a lot, but its a good one

Yes quickly became one of my favorite bands. Their sense of melody is timeless-- the style of prog rock may age, but those melodies will never! Its what separates noodlers from conceptual narrators/musical storytellers.

Steve howe is my favorite player too, he has a fluid style that i havent heard in other guitarists...

like satori, i am waiting for the next yes. But im also trying to recreate that melodic prog ethos in my own band, too. to me, neo-prog bands pull off the aesthetics, but do nothing fundamentally interesting with structure/melody. its like listening to "pretty" soundscapes... i refer to bands like flower kings/porcupine tree/spock's beard/transatlantic

luke said:
Can you folks recommend me a good Gentle Giant album to get started on?

Octopus, Free Hand, and Three Friends are probably the most accessible (and my favorites) but keep in mind it still takes a few listens to get used to it.

I would add in In a Glass house as a good starter along with those albums metioned by Rougespirit. If you want to start of with the most complex then go for Power and the Glory. I think Gentle Giant had a really cool band thing going, individually they were'nt on the level of Yes and King Crimson as players but as a group they could pull off the most amazing stuff. I was wondering for fans of Yes, GG and King Crimson who has heard these bands. Shylock, Yezda Urfa, Mirthrandir and Cathedral (US) I have the Shylock which is great and the others on the order. What a prog month this is with Damnation and the remaster of Fragile, my cool friends will stop talking to me soon.

Yes is pretty good, but I seem to enjoy KC alot more, so that's the prog I listen to most. Oh, I also like Camel better than Yes.

Meh, Yes is still good though.

RogueSpirit said:
Firstly, Gentle Giant is much more complex and progressive I think. Not necessarily better, but GG wins in that respect I think...plus they come off as much less pretentious IMO.

And anyone into Yes should be getting the new remasters that just came out. Fragile especially sounds better compared to the 95 Atlantic remaster (although if you're not a huge fan the Atlantic version is just fine if you can find it cheap). I can't wait until they remaster Close To The Edge and Relayer (the former since it is easily the best Yes has to offer and the latter since the Atlantic version sounds like shit).

The atlantic remasters pwn.. I couldn't imagine them sounding any clearer..

But once the new remasters come out, I'll download them.. I've already bought more yes albums than any orther band..