Yet another odd question

ApolloFC

Sax-Man
Sep 18, 2009
Greensboro, North Carolina
Would it make sense to anyone else here if I said I felt claustrophobic at the festival in a musical sense?

I mean going from 2pm-2am with nothing but prog-power and then having all that prog power merch in the table. I actually felt sick towards the end of the night (course it could of been relationship troubles at the same time or a combo of the two)

Anybody else feel like that at any point during the festival or am I just being a looney again?

I think it was more your lady woes than the concentration of ProgPower. Then again, I listen to almost nothing but metal, so I might be off base.

Also I feel for you on the love front. It can be so ruthlessly crushing. Here's to happier times, eh?

I wouldn't say it in a BAD way, really, but Glenn really did me in this year with so many great bands stacked one behind the other. I stood up front nonstop on Friday for Sinbreed through Redemption (not a one of those was something I felt I should be missing!), and by the end of Redemption's set I was in serious pain. Must have been nine hours straight without sitting down, I've never done that long at one of these before. After doing the first four on Saturday in the same way, I was so wiped out I had to go sit down for the rest of it. I stand up all day at work, so I thought I was in shape for it, but this year really was hell on my legs. I was worn out, but overstimulated? Not really, I'd been excited about those two nights for a full year before, so I was ready to make the most of it. It's once in a lifetime, I don't want to be holding anything back!

I think it was more your lady woes than the concentration of ProgPower. Then again, I listen to almost nothing but metal, so I might be off base.

Also I feel for you on the love front. It can be so ruthlessly crushing. Here's to happier times, eh?

I didn't want this to be a sympathy post or anything like that..but yeah cheers.

Like Saturday I found an radio station that was playing old old school jazz and it put the biggest smile on my face. I think my tastes were just going nuts at the time. Even alternative rock bands on the radio were driving me nuts cause they were playing the same songs from bands like Rage against the machine, bush, Greenday etc. I actually had found my self listening to some R&B love station or something only cause I really digged the music.. couldn't care for the lyrics but the music was awesome.

Oh yeah, it's easy to get metalled out after 3-4 days of it. For the first few days after the festival I find myself favoring Frontiers Records releases.

I do feel that way about the sheer concentration of metal packed into a short period of days. So some years ago I started a personal tradition that may seem bizarre, which I call the 'metal fast'. For the calendar week leading up to ProgPower, I don't listen to ANY metal at all, even if I'm really in the mood for it. Anything else goes. For the drives down and up, I listened to books on CD. Since I love metal so much, that means when I finally walk in those doors, I am far more ravenous for it than I would be having maintained a normal listening diet. That makes me all the more driven to stay standing up on that floor through every band for the whole two nights.

I do feel that way about the sheer concentration of metal packed into a short period of days. So some years ago I started a personal tradition that may seem bizarre, which I call the 'metal fast'. For the calendar week leading up to ProgPower, I don't listen to ANY metal at all, even if I'm really in the mood for it. Anything else goes. For the drives down and up, I listened to books on CD. Since I love metal so much, that means when I finally walk in those doors, I am far more ravenous for it than I would be having maintained a normal listening diet. That makes me all the more driven to stay standing up on that floor through every band for the whole two nights.

LOL the "Metal Fast" brilliant : )

I do feel that way about the sheer concentration of metal packed into a short period of days. So some years ago I started a personal tradition that may seem bizarre, which I call the 'metal fast'...

Interesting. I'm just the opposite. I wanted to feel "prepared" for the festival and for any concert I go to. So I usually spend the days prior listening to *only* music from the bands at the show I'm about to go to. And for ProgPower my tradition the last couple of years is to listen to ProgPower bands on the flight home on Sunday while reading the interviews. I always find I learn something about songs after hearing them live and have a new found appreciation for them when listening to the recordings. Although if the band was disappointing live it sometimes takes away from my enjoyment of the recordings.

Didn't listen to any music at all on Monday but mostly because my head was super clogged.

On the airplane ride in I was listening to Serenity's Death And Legacy. Good call. :) On the way out...no music. I can't listen to anything metal. I'm listening to Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, and Eagles right now...its cleansing the palate I guess. Although my wife's station of latest "hits" is REALLY grating on me right now!

The big drawback for me is being holed up in the venue with so many people for 12+ hours straight....for two days....with no sunlight/fresh air.....that can be kinda claustrophobic. I felt relieved to be heading home afterwards, driving in brilliant sunshine, fully satisfied by a festival of great performances. As far as the music goes, though, I listened to hard rock/metal on the car drive up, and I listened to the same kind of stuff on the way back. No burnout for me on that end.

Would it make sense to anyone else here if I said I felt claustrophobic at the festival in a musical sense?

I mean going from 2pm-2am with nothing but prog-power and then having all that prog power merch in the table. I actually felt sick towards the end of the night (course it could of been relationship troubles at the same time or a combo of the two)

Anybody else feel like that at any point during the festival or am I just being a looney again?

Sorry. It makes 0 sense to me.

Does it get you claustrophobic when you go to a steakhouse and all you see is meat? Or when you visit an aquarium and all you see is marine life?

You went to a metal festival, focusing on Progressive and Power. Did you expect something else completely different?

You get in and out privs at the venue for the show. 12-14 hours is too much for anyone to sit through for the entire night and no one expects anyone to catch every band of the weekend. If you placed that stipulation on yourself, or didn't leave the venue the entire time, that onus is on you, not the length of the festival. I was WORKING the festival and I still found time for breaks to get out and get some air and relaxation.

I'm sorry about your inability to man the fuck up and tell this girl how you were feeling about her but don't take it out on the festival.

You get in and out privs at the venue for the show. 12-14 hours is too much for anyone to sit through for the entire night and no one expects anyone to catch every band of the weekend. If you placed that stipulation on yourself, or didn't leave the venue the entire time, that onus is on you, not the length of the festival. I was WORKING the festival and I still found time for breaks to get out and get some air and relaxation.

I'm sorry about your inability to man the fuck up and tell this girl how you were feeling about her but don't take it out on the festival.

This.

Twas but my first time, but I didn't feel overwhelmed by metal at all. Why? Because I came expecting a metal festival.

The "Metal Fast" seems like a neat idea, though. I wonder if it would enhance the experience....

You can always do what me & Jim did - we had dueling ipod touches plugged into stereo at the hotel room and were ding the old "do you remember this one" to 70s tunes (umm, somehow we each have amazingly large 70s pop collections on our ipods). I dont mean Deep Purple, Zep etc - this was stuff like Run Joye Run, Chevy Van, Wildfire etc :)

Another antidote after metal fatigue has set in - go to starbucks - I dont know what they were playing but man it got us the hell out of there fast each morning. We could feel our testosterone draining just sitting there.

Also - on sunday after hotel check out I had to kill a couple hours at DaVinci's to watch some football before heading to airport - they had some station playing and it was all female fronted music - (again Not Epica, or anything we would normally hear) but must have been some satellite channel (didnt hear any commercials or even announcements of who it was) - and I think the only thing I recognized was maybe something by colbie callait - too bad - some of it was weird (all kinds of musical styles) but i would like to know who some of them were. That said - had you listenend to that during non show time - you would have been alright as well :)

Kinda like with P90X - you gotta work your way up to a full ProgPower USA marathon :)

cheers
jeff