Yet another PC question

actually, I built pretty much that same PC initally outlined. The Asus P5K board overclocks very well. (I have the wi-fi version which is upgradable to quad) The benefit to having a home built as opposed to factory system like a Dell is you can overclock your processor and 'tweak in' to your needs. Plus I can run a Raid setup for added security of my data if need be without having to run an external card. Dell usually locks the system so its factory set and that is what you get. 2.4 quad will have plenty of grunt to it tho even at stock speeds as long as you have compatible ram to your OS needs.

The benefit to having a larger hard drive is seek times/speeds as well as the larger cache found on most of the sata 3.0 drives.
80gb drives are typically EIDE, pata especially if they are a few years old. HD manufacturers do still make 80gb sata 3.0 but they're not as popular as some of the larger capacities, which, depending on the drive are usually cooler in operating temps and faster overall in performace.

That being said, I still have a 80gb in this Dell I'm using now to surf as my system drive and it has been trouble free for what I believe is gong on 1.5-2 or so years now. I've found Dell machines to be very reliable overall.

If you got a Dell quad core for about 700USD, that isn't a bad deal but they do screw you pretty hard on upgrades unless you have discounts. I'm pretty sure opening up the box/breaking the deal is going to dewarrantize it (not a virgin anymore) BUT, I've had Dell techs come out and service my machine even when I bought it used with existing service contract and they replaced a pricey backplane once..so, I don't believe adding a card will make your system warranty 100% worthless.
Consult the Dell community forum for particulars but I would say its up to the tech to make the call if he wants to be a stickler about it.
You probably should have gotten or possibly considered an external breakout box with firewire capacity, much more expensive but would save the warranty and you can transfer it from computer to laptop, etc.

Firewire card speeds are going to upgrade soon along with USB pretty soon in the next year or so. If you got a 800mps 1394b, those are usually quite a bit higher priced...typically around a 100 USD but, from what I understand most 32 bit PC's wont support it anyways unless they have drivers to adapt to 32 Bit Windows OS. You probably have a firewire 400 1394a card..those dont run very much so you are not out alot if you don't install it. Personally, I don't think its going to be that big of a deal if you put it in and have something happen but call em to make sure if you feel uneasy about it.

I'm sure you'll dig working on your new PC either way, sounds like you made a well shopped choice.

actually, I built pretty much that same PC initally outlined. The Asus P5K board overclocks very well. (I have the wi-fi version which is upgradable to quad) The benefit to having a home built as opposed to factory system like a Dell is you can overclock your processor and 'tweak in' to your needs. Dell usually locks the system so its factory set and that is what you get. 2.4 quad will have plenty of grunt to it tho even at stock speeds as long as you have compatible ram to your OS needs.

The benefit to having a larger hard drive is seek times/speeds as well as the larger cache found on most of the sata 3.0 drives.
80gb drives are typically EIDE, pata especially if they are a few years old. HD manufacturers do still make 80gb sata 3.0 but they're not as popular as some of the larger capacities, which, depending on the drive are usually coooler in operating temps and faster overall in performace.

That being said, I still have a 80gb in this Dell I'm using now to surf as my system drive and it has been trouble free for what I believe is gong on 1.5-2 or so years now. I've found Dell machines to be very reliable overall.

If you got a Dell quad core for about 700USD, that isn't a bad deal but they do screw you pretty hard on upgrades unless you have discounts. I'm pretty sure opening up the box/breaking the deal is going to dewarrantize it (not a virgin anymore) Consult the Dell community forum for particulars.
You probably should have gotten or possibly considered an external breakout box with firewire capacity, much more expensive but would save the warranty and you can transfer it from computer to laptop, etc.

Firewire card speeds are going to upgrade soon along with USB pretty soon in the next year or so. If you got a 800mps 1394b, those are usually quite a bit higher priced...typically around a 100 USD but, from what I understand most 32 bit PC's wont support it anyways unless they have drivers to adapt to 32 Bit Windows OS. You probably have a firewire 400 1394a card..those dont run very much so you are not out alot if you don't install it.

I realised about 10 minutes after I finalized the deal that the extra warranty was probably worthless, so I was a bit pissed :mad:. Luckily I didn't pay too much for it. The Hard Drive has an 8mb Cache (and 7200rpm), so thats not too bad right? Its 160GB. I already have a Firewire PCI card that I will swap out of my existing PC. Currently works great with my Inspire. I find it hard to believe that as a one-man recording operation I would need to overclock a Quad Core, who knows, I may regret it but I doubt it.

In the nicest possible way, to those that have said I could have built one cheaper.... yeah? well do it. I did my research, I'm not a complete computer noob, but nothing came close to the Dell in terms of bang for your buck. £333 was £80-100 cheaper than I could build it myself. You are looking at around £200 just for the Mobo and CPU.

I'm looking at upgrading to the FMR preamp and an internal PCI Soundcard after my demo is complete, so the Firewire will be a bit redundant, probably only use it to run the MyBook.

naw, 160gb, 8 meg sata is fine. I have another pc upgrade I did last year that has a 160 as its main system drive... with a dual core loading music apps is plenty fast. Its really rather a matter of dicing up the standards and they're usually measured by mid to higher end hard core gaming rigs.

A Dell machine is pretty well tuned to itself and you'll likely (hopefully) NOT pull more than a 50%-70% load with a 2.4 quad even running multiple apps. Like I said later after I fine tune edited my post and before you posted again, sounds like you did your homework and I'm sure you'll dig working on your Dell for many years to come.
I sure wouldn't scoff at it, sounds like a fine machine and it'll hold a decent resale for many years yet whereas aftermarket builds can drop alot after a year or two.

I think aftermarket places like Newegg, Tiger Direct are running the Q6600 for about 200 USD, a good mid-upper MBO; 150.00, Decent OCZ Gamestream or like PS; 50-70, 2gb 800mhz ram, 75-80, decent cooler; 50 (non stock), Dvd burner; 25-30, XP home; 80-90, Decent mid point Vid card upgrade; 80-120, Decent case: 50-70. Pretty much the same in the long run, rebates would push it lower however.

Fuck Dell. If you're not a total idiot you can build your own, and if you are a total idiot you can find a nerd to do it for you.

Jeff

I can't really argue with Jeff here (well, I can't argue with him anywhere :lol:), having built all of my PC's myself. However, I think some people aren't interested, and just want the pc to work, something Dell do very well.

Joe

I can't really argue with Jeff here (well, I can't argue with him anywhere :lol:), having built all of my PC's myself. However, I think some people aren't interested, and just want the pc to work, something Dell do very well.

Joe

Its not something I would have baulked at but between the choice of having it premade and deliverd within 2-3 days (it arrives tomorrow) and spending a good few hours building it, installing OS, troubleshooting etc for the same price.... well its not much contest.