Your current favorite purchase of a 2004 album

Wyvern said:
The band from the guy who plays keys on the Ayreon album :p
O *him*! :tickled:

Wyvern said:
"Ink Compatible" kicks butt!
They sure do!! :headbang:

Bryant said:
Ayreon, Tad Morose and Edguy had strong showings in this thread followed by Exodus and Wolf. Cool us oldschool guys can also listen to the modern stuff. In fact, I think lately our conversations have been more on the modern stuff.

Bryant

Thats true! But among the many strong points of those bands there is also a definate old school feeling there!

Hawk said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant
Ayreon, Tad Morose and Edguy had strong showings in this thread followed by Exodus and Wolf. Cool us oldschool guys can also listen to the modern stuff. In fact, I think lately our conversations have been more on the modern stuff.

Bryant

Thats true! But among the many strong points of those bands there is also a definate old school feeling there!

Yes very much so. I proudly display Vanden Plas as my fave band, but I never promoted them as strongly as Tad Morose here because I think they require a predisposed taste to prog to some extent. I think going from oldschool metal to TM would be a logical progression, but from oldschool to Vanden Plas might be a leap of sorts.
Wolf would be a step, but Ayreon a leap, but who is to say ? Fates Warning is oldschool...... maybe not by date, but that band had more to do with the modern sound of prog metal than any band I can think of. They are prototypes as opposed to influences of modern proig metal, but the sad thing is that they probably couldn't sell out large clubs in the US right now. They opened up for Dream Theater and Queensryche, when they gave DT their style. Shame. :erk:

Bryant

Because the tread was about 2004 releases. Actually I have bought more old albums in the last three years than releases of the year :lol:

I believe that we can try posts about old albums that we just discover (even if half the board mock you or flame you :D ), and besides we'll have Hawk classic album post monthly.

Glorious Burden. Ripper was a great addition to Iced Earth and his vocals are amazing. The music on the Gettysburg Trilogy is simply the best Schaffer has ever written.

Insect Song- Beyond the Embrace. I just found out about this band from them touring with Iced Earth. They are simply amazing.

Hum.. Good question. I'd have to say
Exodus - Tempo Of The Damned
Velvet Revolver - Contraband
Death Angel - the art of dying

\m/ 0 o \m/

I would have to say that Black Label Society's Hangover Music Vol VI has got to be the best purchase of the year so far. Zakk is one of the most creative,talented men alive. The whole album gives me the chills. Mind you it's not as heavy as his usual work but,he never ceases to amaze me. :worship: On another note,my next favorite is Priest's Metalogy,I know alot of it has been out forever but,if you are a diehard Priest fan as I am,it definitely delivers the goods!

Hawk said:
Whats it like Abryl? Powermetal? Melodic? Could you explain a bit more?
I love Joacim's solo album, it's quite different from Hammerfall, more diverse and "actual" in a way.
There are many different songwriters involved in the project, I guess that's why it sounds less "german" and has more of a US sound at times, ie. the songs written by Metal Mike (ex-Halford).
The self titled track (written by David Chastain!) has the same kind of mood as "Blood Red Skies" (Judas Priest), without being a copy at all, and songs like "The Key" are totally unexpected from Joacim.
The lead guitar work smokes and Mark Zonder rocks as always, there's some nice musicianship to be found here, without being anything progressive of course.

I give him credit for trying to do his own thing now while still supporting Heavy Metal, great job Joacim! :headbang:

Fangface said:
I love Joacim's solo album, it's quite different from Hammerfall, more diverse and "actual" in a way.
There are many different songwriters involved in the project, I guess that's why it sounds less "german" and has more of a US sound at times, ie. the songs written by Metal Mike (ex-Halford).
The self titled track (written by David Chastain!) has the same kind of mood as "Blood Red Skies" (Judas Priest), without being a copy at all, and songs like "The Key" are totally unexpected from Joacim.
The lead guitar work smokes and Mark Zonder rocks as always, there's some nice musicianship to be found here, without being anything progressive of course.

I give him credit for trying to do his own thing now while still supporting Heavy Metal, great job Joacim! :headbang:
What the Frenchie said :p already. I like the album a lot too.

althou that they havent being released this year most of them ...simply i dint know they existed;i couldnt find them;blah blah... :hotjump:

oh sorry but i cannot really reffer to one album only... its too early of the year u see.. :loco: maybe in december....

saracen -red skies

yeah the great nwobhm band is rejoined :worship: :worship: this album got me with tears man ...i mean its 2004!!!! f*ck ! i was soooooo happy!!!! :D :D

templar-come to the light

project? band of saracen ..pretty different way of playin... but sooo nice to listen to. its soooo nice that his vocals are the same after sooo many years!!! proud to be a fan of them ! :D

blitzkrieg - live absolute

hm...althou that i expected something more from this album basicly for the setlist i was pretty satisfied with it :headbang: :worship:

wasp-neon god part one .....

yeah ...blackie and his masterpieces....

its not crimson idol of course but ..its neon god!!!! hehe :worship: :worship:

EstrangeD <> said:
blitzkrieg - live absolute

hm...althou that i expected something more from this album basicly for the setlist i was pretty satisfied with it :headbang: :worship:
How is the sound on this live recording?
I really liked the guitar sound they had when they played at the Keep it True festival, if it's as good on this release I need to pick it up. The tracklist seems pretty good too, although I miss "Pull the Trigger" and "Time of Changes".

EstrangeD <> said:
althou that they havent being released this year most of them ...simply i dint know they existed;i couldnt find them;blah blah... :hotjump:

oh sorry but i cannot really reffer to one album only... its too early of the year u see.. :loco: maybe in december....

saracen -red skies

yeah the great nwobhm band is rejoined :worship: :worship: this album got me with tears man ...i mean its 2004!!!! f*ck ! i was soooooo happy!!!! :D :D
Saracen is back??!! Wow!! I can see why you are so happy!! I bought their "Heroes, Saints and Fools" album when it was released. Do you have a link for me were I can buy it. One of the best NWOBHM bands I ever heard. This is great news man! How could I have missed this one?? :headbang:

For releases of this year I only got Decapitated - The Negation. It was pretty forgettable and their earlier work is much better.

Hawk said:
Whats it like Abryl? Powermetal? Melodic? Could you explain a bit more?

Fangface explained it pretty well :) I think the album sounds "fresh" to say the least. Good songwriting, good riffs, good singing. The more I listen to it, the more I like it :cool: