A Question About Music Theory

Listener1254

May 19, 2003
Are you more impressed by bands who write good songs using music theory? or bands who write good songs without using music theory? Cause it seems here some people like nu-metal bands and i doubt they know any music theory. I guess it can be compared to saying would you be more impressed by a movie director who had experience in directing and knew how to do it good, or would you be more impressed by a person who was a first time director and did the best he could?

That's an interesting question.

I prefer music that works on many levels (mostly...I'm still a huge AC/DC, Sabbath, etc. fan too, simple music that works), but I would probably side with music that would *appear* to have been written by someone with some knowledge of music theory...mostly.

That term is dangerous though. One would assume that some of the greats that you would think know theory in fact do. Which in fact don't. Good example, my guitarist e-mailed Anders Bjorler (The Haunted, ex- At The Gates) a year ago asking him what theory he knew, what classical scales he employed and the like. It's obvious that At The Gates at least had a very classical influence in the guitar melody/harmony department. Strangely enough, Anders wrote back something simple that he doesn't know any proper theory or classical modes, he just writes what he thinks sounds good.

As far as nu-metal goes, I have little respect for the genre. I respect the forefathers such as Fear Factory, Sepultura and the like, who wrote riffs that became what everyone copied and did all the time. But those two bands I mentioned had a bigger grasp of music and arrangement than any of what their inspirees could ever imagine. I would guess that there are a few popular nu-metal musicians who know and can play music beyond what they write, but I would imagine that most don't know much at all music theory.

Which matters not to me, as I don't buy nu metal. But I think you would find that even some of the greatest, most seemingly melodic real metal bands play and write by what sounds good to their ear, and did not necessarily study music. Some basic knowledge is necessary for good melodic music, but not full-fledged theory necessarily.

Which impresses me more? I suppose the band that writes good stuff without any knowledge of music theory.

You make it sound, however, that a band not versed in musical theory can not compose as well or make a song of the same quality.

I find most of my favorite bands consist of members that are self taught and have no knowledge of music theory. Only ones I'm pretty sure have some schooling are Quo Vadis (Canada) and Decapitated.

Interesting thoughts by both of you. But, let's say other genres of music: Folk, Funk, Punk, Country, Jazz, Blues, etc. Take these genres, do you think country musicians know music theory or do they just write what sounds good? Because if country musicians do not know music theory, wouldn't it make you think that maybe country is better after all since they write music with no knowledge? The same can be said about the other genres as well. Like in Funk, I noticed the bass lines play their own thing and don't follow the guitar, same with punk. I'm not sure about folk though. But if you can take a bassline and not follow the guitar, doesn;t that mean you have a grasp on music theory? Cause I don't think anyone can just pick up a bass and make up a line that doesn't follow the guitar and have it fit the song. Most Country and metal bands have bassists that just follow the guitar, is this simpler?

music theory definaly doesnt hurt! its helped me out alot when figuring out chords and stuff (ya know, stuff other than power chords!). its helped alot with harmonies and other things. one of the things ive wanted to try is write a song with 4 part harmony. 3 guitar and bass. i would prolly split it between two 6 strings, 1 7 string, and my bass. i just think it would be an interesting venture. and you cant do that easily without music theory
~gR~

genocide roach said:
music theory definaly doesnt hurt! its helped me out alot when figuring out chords and stuff (ya know, stuff other than power chords!). its helped alot with harmonies and other things. one of the things ive wanted to try is write a song with 4 part harmony. 3 guitar and bass. i would prolly split it between two 6 strings, 1 7 string, and my bass. i just think it would be an interesting venture. and you cant do that easily without music theory
~gR~

You mentioned it helped you with stuff other than power chords. Does this mean you can easily make up power chord songs with any music theory knowledge?

yes. so many bands rely on just power chords. like its the only chord out there. and some bands dont even even venture that far into power chords! hell, there is more than one way to use a power chord, and most people dont even do that.

but dont mind me, im pessimistic about todays music. 90% of it is total bullshit
~gR~

Listener1254 said:
Are you more impressed by bands who write good songs using music theory? or bands who write good songs without using music theory? Cause it seems here some people like nu-metal bands and i doubt they know any music theory. I guess it can be compared to saying would you be more impressed by a movie director who had experience in directing and knew how to do it good, or would you be more impressed by a person who was a first time director and did the best he could?

Everyone uses music theory. Even if you don't know what it is or even try to avoid it. Music theory consists of things like rhythm, harmony, melody etc. All music contains rhythm, and most music contains melody. I have submerged myself in this stuff, and it is worth it. To know what you're doing makes it a lot easier then getting there by chance(Opeth). You can make educated guesses easier, know more about what you want to do, and acheive what you want more efficiently.

Starbreaker said:
That's an interesting question.

I prefer music that works on many levels (mostly...I'm still a huge AC/DC, Sabbath, etc. fan too, simple music that works), but I would probably side with music that would *appear* to have been written by someone with some knowledge of music theory...mostly.

That term is dangerous though. One would assume that some of the greats that you would think know theory in fact do. Which in fact don't. Good example, my guitarist e-mailed Anders Bjorler (The Haunted, ex- At The Gates) a year ago asking him what theory he knew, what classical scales he employed and the like. It's obvious that At The Gates at least had a very classical influence in the guitar melody/harmony department. Strangely enough, Anders wrote back something simple that he doesn't know any proper theory or classical modes, he just writes what he thinks sounds good.

At The Gates seem to favor the use of the Hungarian minor scale. Which is just a harmonic minor scale with a raised fourth.

Most people learn a pentatonic scale and nothing else. If you want to do something interesting most likely you should learn music theory. Sure you can use a hammer on a screw in some situations, but a screwdriver would work better usually. You may accomplish something without learning theory, but it you are ambitous it pays off. Then again some people are satisfied with power chords, pentatonics, and bluesy shit. Most of that shit can be grasped without study very quickly.

Listener1254 said:
Interesting thoughts by both of you. But, let's say other genres of music: Folk, Funk, Punk, Country, Jazz, Blues, etc. Take these genres, do you think country musicians know music theory or do they just write what sounds good? Because if country musicians do not know music theory, wouldn't it make you think that maybe country is better after all since they write music with no knowledge? The same can be said about the other genres as well. Like in Funk, I noticed the bass lines play their own thing and don't follow the guitar, same with punk. I'm not sure about folk though. But if you can take a bassline and not follow the guitar, doesn;t that mean you have a grasp on music theory? Cause I don't think anyone can just pick up a bass and make up a line that doesn't follow the guitar and have it fit the song. Most Country and metal bands have bassists that just follow the guitar, is this simpler?

Steve DiGiorgio knows nothing about theory and follows the guitar less than anyone else in metal. Sometimes he follows a lot less than he should. That dude is in his own world. An innovator.

Of coursed I'm impressed with bands that write good songs and know lots of theory. It is almost necessary to know theory to write good technical metal songs. I also like good songs by bands with less knowledge of theory; they can be very catchy but are usually less technical.

SADUDE said:
Steve DiGiorgio knows nothing about theory and follows the guitar less than anyone else in metal. Sometimes he follows a lot less than he should. That dude is in his own world. An innovator.

But how come metal seems to be the genre where the bass follows the guitar the least?

Listener1254 said:
But how come metal seems to be the genre where the bass follows the guitar the least?

What are you talking about? 99% of bass players in metal do nothing more than double the guitar riff. Jazz , and funk have the most independence as far as the bass is concerned.

SADUDE said:
What are you talking about? 99% of bass players in metal do nothing more than double the guitar riff. Jazz , and funk have the most independence as far as the bass is concerned.

Sorry I meant to put the most, not the least. but why does metal do that? Why don't they make up their own thing that doesn't follow the guitar? WHy must they follow it?

Ahhh, music theory, I know absolutely none of it, yet I learn by being continually inspired, how I learned my so called "scales" is by listening to music, when I here a lick I like I will play it, then i will find every note that goes with that lick on the neck, really, the only scale I know is pentatonic, but I hardly ever stay within it's bounds, I write solos with melody, technique and emotion, this is the only way I can play a guitar, I know exactly where every harmony note is for each note on the neck, do I know what they are called, no, do I know what half the chords I play are called, I wish, do I care, none whatsoever, I make music to please me and so I can play live and headbang :headbang:

Jimi Hendrix couldn't read music. And yet he was one of the most talented guitar players ever.

Most pop artists know of music theory.

So what?

Some Nu-Metal guys know of it, some don't, some have a decent grasp of it, some don't even need it.

It all depends.

You wanna hear something funny, three months ago my band had THREE guitarists AND a bass player, we did all these cool things like three different parts going on at the same time, and three to four part harmonyies, we all used to do three oart harmonies with octives and power chords and all this crazy shit, then my mentor, Johnny Kaas got a great job at in California and moved, he was the best guitar player I have ever known, he always used to say,"how the hell am I going to keep up with you Aaron?" I miss the poor guy, it was down to two, I just took Johns riffs and fused them with mine, a hard thing to do, but I did it, and everything sounded great, then our other guitar player quit because of his wife, I am currently in the process of changing all those damn harmonies from guitar to bass at the same fucking pitch, WHAT A BITCH, but I can do it, the thing is, I know the neck of our respective instruments way better than our bass player, don't get me wrong, he is amazing, but this is the first band he has played bass in, he is a guitarist also, so I am trying to get him to come up with his own bass lines etc. it is a process, let me tell you... :tickled:

I tend to enjoy band that are somewhat in the middle. Cuz if you know absolutely nothing about harmony or melody or anything, you get shit, and if you are religious about theory in your music, you wind up being to "Clinical" Look at Dream Theater. Personally, I'm a rhythm guitarist for the most part, but I have a basic knowledge of some theory. Like I know where most of the intervals are if I want to harmonize something, and so on and so forth. And I try my best to use other chords besides Power chords in my playing.