A survey to prove a rumor about metalheads

I don't know I've bought fuckloads from hearing a nice song on there and wanting the album. Anyway a fair bit of the(obscure traditional metal) stuff I watch on there is out of print anyway.

edit at fps

i'm confused by youtube. is it violating copyright on the grandest of scales? do the record companies believe that one-off plays won't affect sales?

Some labels have deals with Google to get paid for each playthrough, but I believe that only affects your clip if you use the AudioSwap feature to swap in approved audio, and that's usually only the major labels in there.

But: Look at how many bands officially upload their own stuff to YouTube, sometimes in great quality and even with a hugely expensive HD video. So at least with those bands, I trust they don't mind.

Some bands or band promoters even comment on parodies etc. on YouTube. I think my Amon Amarth misheard lyrics clip was linked from the official Amon Amarth MySpace :)

So yes, it's a confusing place where some labels seem to care more and some seem to care less about what people do. Warner Music Group for example deleted my Nightwish parody even after half a million views :p They should be happy anyone still listens to Nightwish after the singer switch *raises controversial topic and runs off to work not to witness the aftermath*

I download A FUCKLOAD of music from blogspot sites. I do this because there are tons of bands I want to check out, and thats the only means to do so, because not every song is up on youtube, nor is every band up on youtube.

This has resulted in me spending a lot of money on the bands that I really ended up liking. After downloading the entire Incantation discography, I've since bought every release. Same with Abominator and Burial. The new band I want to get shit from is Azarath; I have their discography on my computer, but I want to get the actual CD's because i like them.

I think this puts more responsibility on the bands to put out better material, because any jackshit douche bag can put together a band and release their music to the world. Does that mean they deserve my money? Absolutely fucking NOT.

Before, we had quality control via record companies, when bands NEEDED them to get their music product A) created and B) distributed. To get signed, you had to be good. So, people could take chances on cd's of bands they'd never heard before, because the band had to be good enough to get signed in the first place.

Today, with the proliferation of labels and bands and technology, the record labels aren't needed to get the physical product out. Therefore, there is no quality control. Illegal downloading is now the quality control. You want people to spend money on your band? WRITE GOOD MUSIC.

Its that simple.

Yeah, that's a good point.

There's a recurring theme:

1. People download to preview and then purchase whole albums. I thought I was one of the few ones who actually did this, but reading here, it seems to be the norm, which is great :)

2. The major labels aren't really required for any of this, and they're reporting losses at the same time as small labels and independent bands are getting more and more successful.

That seems to confirm what we've been saying all along: If the majors want to stop their losses, what they need to do is release quality music that people actually want to buy. But so far the labels seem to be unable to do that :p

Indy success story? Look at Diablo Swing Orchestra. From a self-published CD on CD Baby to a metal label in what, a year? I'm sure there are more examples like that.

Today, with the proliferation of labels and bands and technology, the record labels aren't needed to get the physical product out. Therefore, there is no quality control. Illegal downloading is now the quality control. You want people to spend money on your band? WRITE GOOD MUSIC.

Its that simple.

Actually I think this is a good point.

The problem is that before record companies acted at least to a certain extent as a filter. I would say that there is a greater proportion of quality to crap in the stuff that would get released by a record company than if everything ever got released, which is where we're headed. Basically, a band of dudes playing their balls off and kicking ass don't really have a way of getting ahead of some fatass in his bedroom except word of mouth, which only spreads so far. I would say the demise of record companies is going to be a bad thing for a while until a new way of identifying stuff worth listening to and spreading it comes around. Something more efficient than metal forums.

How many new albums in the past five years have you come across where you couldn't find any legal means of hearing some songs or samples?

The answer is never, probably, or some small amount, but I still don't care and I doubt you'll make me care with your high-ground moralistic bullshit.

How many new albums in the past five years have you come across where you couldn't find any legal means of hearing some songs or samples?
I'm surprised that no one brought this up earlier. I used to special order a lot of albums through FYE, because it's the only local non-Walmart music distributor and on a fairly regular basis they would insist that I was spelling the name wrong and begin suggesting non-metal bands with similar names. Granted, I could probably have ordered them online, but the only online market that I knew of at the time was eBay, which was equally unlikely to have what I wanted.

I download then blow my money on the merch (T-shits,Hoodies,Patches,etc).
If I really enjoy the album or the band I'll buy it, but as I already have the songs I go for the merch right away.

OK, I'll bite: why is that necessarily a problem with downloading? That seems more like an individual problem, not a problem with the practice of downloading. I mean to say, downloading does not necessarily restrict or even necessarily damage the drive to want to at some point in the future purchase the album the songs are on. Sure, downloading may be "illegal", frowned upon, etc., but it does no actual measurable damage. Anyway, I don't actually feel like having this argument again, because you'll come out on top because apparently you love the law, you goddamn non-rebel.