All you need to know about Finnish language...

Tapaammeko kello yhdeksäntoista?

9pm would be "kello kaksikymmentäyksi (21)"

Yhdeksäntoista is 7pm, but it's best to say "Tapaammeko kello yhdeksän". That's how people say it, if they're not speaking the spoken version of Finnish (Words are shortened), which would be "Tavataaks yheksält?" but don't try to learn this it's impossible.

"Oletko sinä Hannanin talossa?" would be "Oletko sinä Hannan talossa"

If someone owns something and their name ends in a vocal not a consonant it's just a "n" letter after the name. If it would be "Hannah" (Not a Finnish name but I couldn't come up with any consonant ending Finnish names) it would be "Oletko sinä Hannahin talossa" so if the name ends in vocal it's "n", and if it ends in a consonant it's "in".

Can some kindhearted finnish mies ja naiset try to give some good examples when I should just "continue" on the word itself when asking questions or start over.

Sorry, didn't get the question but, I'll tell you something else. Mies is man (Miehet is many of them), and nainen is woman (Naiset is many of them). You can make a plural (The one where there's a load of things like "hamsters") by adding t to the end, and sometimes like in nainen/naiset the rest of the word changes too, but with for example bike it's pyörä/pyörät.

Everything I didn't say something about is correct.

Uh, was tired as hell when i wrote that post.

Okey, got it. Because the teacher had our names as examples. Mine is Andreas- became: Andreaksen and my friend Jonathan-Jonathanin.

Yeah, already kinda knew that. Anyhow. My question was like how you know if to write "Syötkö sinä?" or... damn this is hard to explain over the interwebs--

Try to write some questions in finnish for me, about anything. And I'll try to explain with those questions- Sopiiko?

Uh, was tired as hell when i wrote that post.

Okey, got it. Because the teacher had our names as examples. Mine is Andreas- became: Andreaksen and my friend Jonathan-Jonathanin.

Yeah, already kinda knew that. Anyhow. My question was like how you know if to write "Syötkö sinä?" or... damn this is hard to explain over the interwebs--

Try to write some questions in finnish for me, about anything. And I'll try to explain with those questions- Sopiiko?

You mean how to know is it "syöt sinä" with "kö" at the end of syödä, or something else?

If it's that what you mean then I'll try to answer.

The thing that makes Finnish hard is those small endings at the end of words, especially because they're slightly different with different words. You can't for example replace the "kö" at the end of syödä with an other verb etc.

If thats not what you meant, here's a few questions:

-Mikä sinun nimesi on? What's your name?

-Pyöräiletkö paljon? Do you ride a bike alot?

-Hypitäänkö trampoliinilla? Shall we jump on the trampoline?

-Kuinka kauan olet opetellut suomea? How long have you been studying Finnish?

-Asutko ruotsissa? Do you live in Sweden? Bor du i Svärje?

You mean how to know is it "syöt sinä" with "kö" at the end of syödä, or something else?

If it's that what you mean then I'll try to answer.

The thing that makes Finnish hard is those small endings at the end of words, especially because they're slightly different with different words. You can't for example replace the "kö" at the end of syödä with an other verb etc.

If thats not what you meant, here's a few questions:

-Mikä sinun nimesi on? What's your name?

-Pyöräiletkö paljon? Do you ride a bike alot?

-Hypitäänkö trampoliinilla? Shall we jump on the trampoline?

-Kuinka kauan olet opetellut suomea? How long have you been studying Finnish?

-Asutko ruotsissa? Do you live in Sweden? Bor du i Svärje?

Not that was not what i meant. Feeling quite confident about the endings- not always, like when you rearrange the word and erase letters before the-ko/ko. But here is a good example on what I really need help with.

In the first question, it's "Mikä sinun..." and the other "Pyöräiletkö.." (and what a coincidence that the track "moottoripyörä on moottoripyörä" started just now. :D")

But how do i know how to start the question? With ether "Mikä/Kenen" or just add -kö/ko to the word itself? Is it kinda about if it's a verb or not?

Thanks =)

Just for a try and some practice:

1. Minnun niemi on Andreas
2. Ei, minä ajaan auton.
3. Kylle, me hypitää trampoliiinila!
4. -
5. Kylle, , minä astun ruotsissa =)

Sweden sucks= Ruotsi on perseestä.:fu::fu:

<script src='http://img14.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=swedensucks.jpg&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Not that was not what i meant. Feeling quite confident about the endings- not always, like when you rearrange the word and erase letters before the-ko/ko. But here is a good example on what I really need help with.

In the first question, it's "Mikä sinun..." and the other "Pyöräiletkö.." (and what a coincidence that the track "moottoripyörä on moottoripyörä" started just now. :D")

But how do i know how to start the question? With ether "Mikä/Kenen" or just add -kö/ko to the word itself? Is it kinda about if it's a verb or not?

Thanks =)

Just for a try and some practice:

1. Minnun niemi on Andreas
2. Ei, minä ajaan auton.
3. Kylle, me hypitää trampoliiinila!
4. -
5. Kylle, , minä astun ruotsissa =)

Trying to clarify a bit.
"Mikä" translates basically as "what". It refers to a thing or object in questions.
What is this? -> Mikä tämä on?
What makes this difficult is that "What is this" can be translated also as "Mitä tämä on". And of course "mitä" is used in a different way than "mikä".

The use of ko/kö might be problematic but here are some samples.
What are you doing? -> Mitä teet?
Are you doing something? -> Teetkö jotakin?

So yeah, it has to do with the verb. I'm not a language expert so don't know the 'real' rules but basically if you ask someone if she/he is doing something in spesific, you use the ending ko/kö in the verb.
Do you drive? -> Ajatko?
Do you like him? -> Pidätkö hänestä?
etc.

And btw:
1. Minnun niemi on Andreas -> Minun nimeni on Andreas
2. Ei, minä ajaan auton. -> Ei, minä ajan autoa.
3. Kylle, me hypitää trampoliiinila! -> Kyllä, me hypimme trampoliinilla
4. -
5. Kylle, , minä astun ruotsissa =) -> Kyllä, minä asun Ruotsissa

ko/kö is like the English "do" :D Not that hard.. in fact, the entire language is not as difficult as it seems :)

...the fuck?

Finpower = lätkäjuntti

AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just out of curiosity, aren't those 2 words :rofl:
Still don't know the exact part of the Finnish grammar when two or more words are written like one :loco:

AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just out of curiosity, aren't those 2 words :rofl:
Still don't know the exact part of the Finnish grammar when two or more words are written like one :loco:

"Lätkäjuntti" is roughly translated as "ice hockey redneck". Usually it's used when talking about people who think ice hockey is like a religion to them and Teemu Selänne is their messiah. Aka 90% of population of Finland.

"Lätkäjuntti" is roughly translated as "ice hockey redneck". Usually it's used when talking about people who think ice hockey is like a religion to them and Teemu Selänne is their messiah. Aka 90% of population of Finland.
Teemy rules and so does Finland.:wave:
WC Gold 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
the Finnish vowel thing A,O,U / I,E / Ä,Ö,Y

Interesting, the video mentions that 'y' is also a vowel. I remember being taught that every English word has to have a vowel in it. There are exceptions like the word 'fly' and in cases like this the 'y' is the vowel substitute.

s

That's because 1. English orthography is fucked up and 2. The separation between vowels and consonants is very fuzzy when dealing with approximants like "y" as in "you" or w. Depending on what you feel like, they might either be an approximant or a very short vowel, but in English it turns out to be convenient to classify them as consonants at least because of the choice for indefinite articles (a/an) and maybe for other reasons.

Nevertheless, it is not strictly true that every English word needs a vowel: when saying, for example, Fish and Chips, the "and" is reduced to a simple 'n' most of the time. This is because some words in English have strong and weak forms, distinguished by pronunciation. When someone asks you if you found the cat, they might answer they found a cat, with emphasis on the a, and that's the strong form, whereas most of the time it's just a schwa, the weak form. Same goes for "and", the weak form does not require pronunciation of a vowel, it depends on who's speaking.

As second point, "fly" does have a vowel. You need to analyze the pronunciation of the word, and not the particular arbitrary rules someone chose for putting the language into paper. Fly is pronounced as /fla&#618;/, with a diphthong, meaning the "consonant" y is not even there in the first place.

Blame the great vowel shift.

Kinda, music theory would be more like grammar rules: they are a static guideline that may or may not reflect how people speak/make music. If you really meant music transcription, then sure.

Teemu rules! Does that means that I am lätkäjuntti? Do NOT answer that..

Alright, now the question: How can I say hän on, me olemme ja te olette in spoken Finnish?