Allan Holdsworth

progmetaldan

Nov 25, 2006
South Australia
www.myspace.com
Yes, he's a grumpy old man, but he's also one of the more incredible guitarists especially in the jazz/fusion field... Anyway, I've got 'All Night Wrong', as well as some of his guest solos on Planet X- Quantum and Derek Sherinian- Mythology, but I want to get some more of his albums... I'm leaning towards 'Sixteen Men Of Tain', what are the 'essential' ones and why? Also I've heard some of his albums have some vocals on them? I'd prefer instrumental.

I remember when I was at Berklee College of Music in Boston,in 1984, going to the listening library and choosing Bill Bruford's "Feels Good To Me" with Holdsworth on guitar, on reel to reel tape...it was a breath of fresh air...try it if you can find it...brilliant stuff...and I'm not a big fan...for no reason more than it's not my approach to expression...but I still appreciate the beauty of his personal expression.

Edit: shockingly...just found it on iTunes...amazing and nostalgic for me...that was an exciting time for me musically.

Tony Williams Lifetime-Believe It.....hear AH in his early days. He was fucking good back then. Some great pieces like Proto Cosmos and Fred that he still plays today are on this one.

Solo albums

Metal Fatigue....some vocals on this but its a great album that features 'Devil Takes the Hindmost' which is awesome.

Hard Hat Area.....probably my fave AH solo cd along with 16MOT

Sixteen Men of Tain.....awesome.

all his solo albums are bloody good.....Secrets, Wardenclyffe Tower, None Too Soon, Atavatron are all winners.
If you don't like vocals interfering i'd suggest you miss Road Games.

other projects/bands

The 2 Bruford cds are awesome...there is also a live dvd of them available

Soft Machine. I'm not sure how many albums AH did with them but i have 1 and a live cd which are both great

Heavy Machinery....with the Johannson bros. Its not bad just seems a little rigid in places.

Gong...did a few with them....not as good as Soft Machine.

UK-s/t....vocals on this album but its killer...the song 'In the dead of night' is worth the admission price.

k2-Book of the dead.....vocals again....sounds like Peter Gabriel. He doesn't do much chord playing on this....it sounds like the band recorded all the instruments and sent him it and he just solos lots. Ryo Okomoto plays keys on this one.

I remember when I was at Berklee College of Music in Boston,in 1984, going to the listening library and choosing Bill Bruford's "Feels Good To Me" with Holdsworth on guitar, on reel to reel tape...it was a breath of fresh air...try it if you can find it...brilliant stuff...and I'm not a big fan...for no reason more than it's not my approach to expression...but I still appreciate the beauty of his personal expression.

Edit: shockingly...just found it on iTunes...amazing and nostalgic for me...that was an exciting time for me musically.

wow man did you go to berklee? off topic but im studying and hoping to go there (im a soph. now) any tips or things to know?

wow man did you go to berklee? off topic but im studying and hoping to go there (im a soph. now) any tips or things to know?

Honestly...I went one semester...it was way too expensive and I realized that kind of money was going to get me a useless degree in the real world. Back in '84-'85 it was 11,500 a year...that's was as much as Ivy League...I can't even imagine how much it is now.

As far as tips? It was a long time ago...it's probably much different now. Think about what you're going to do with a music degree and realize with how much in debt you'll be starting your life.

My friend who went with me and stayed to graduate...a very good guitarist...well, he works in a warehouse, releases a CD now again that sells to no one...just sayin'.

As a current music major who made a decision NOT to go to berklee (a decision I am VERY happy with btw), the biggest thing to take into account are your goals. You need to decide what it is you want and how it is you want to get there. The reason most people will just end up going nowhere fast with an education/carreer in music is because they lack any realistic goals or expectations of what to expect out of a life in music and end up with a very rude awakening. You also need to consider whether or not you really want to do music as a career...as I really wouldn't suggest going to school for a hobby. You might be just as happy making a living in something else while continuing to do music on the side, and there's nothing wrong with that either. Unfortunately, I've seen too many people who realize that a little later than they would've liked.

If/when you do decide you definitely want to go to school for music, as yourself "why berklee?" and DO NOT limit your choices.

As a current music major who made a decision NOT to go to berklee (a decision I am VERY happy with btw), the biggest thing to take into account are your goals. You need to decide what it is you want and how it is you want to get there. The reason most people will just end up going nowhere fast with an education/carreer in music is because they lack any realistic goals or expectations of what to expect out of a life in music and end up with a very rude awakening. You also need to consider whether or not you really want to do music as a career...as I really wouldn't suggest going to school for a hobby. You might be just as happy making a living in something else while continuing to do music on the side, and there's nothing wrong with that either. Unfortunately, I've seen too many people who realize that a little later than they would've liked.

If/when you do decide you definitely want to go to school for music, as yourself "why berklee?" and DO NOT limit your choices.

Very true. You need to have a realistic goal of how you can actually form a career in music and realize that you will actually need to make money.

I came to that realization while I was there...as it was, I had 5,000 dollars in student loans to pay back for one semester.

I've always loved music and guitar and continue to do so, but I could not imagine making the money I do and having any stability if I took the music path. There are a lot of great players out there and a college with a higher academic standard as well as a good music program may be a better choice.

exactly why my father refused to send me to Berklee - "theres NO future in music" "you will wind up being a drug addict" "your rock and roll music is just a fad that will fade away"... and a few other "reasons" I cant think of now. I was pissed at the time but 20 years later I realized he was right... at least about the "future" part. Substance abuse was never a threat for me and as we can clearly see "rock" never died. I did get something from the summer I spent there but it was just about the time I got going and it was over.