Anthrax, Prague

johnnieCzech

Your favourite Czech
Feb 5, 2002
Prague
I saw Anthrax in Roxy, Prague (the same venue they played in 1998 on Volume 8 tour, it was full just like back then) after 6 years or so and had a good time although I have to say I might have enjoyed the previous show (in 2012 I believe) better. Joey was sure in better shape vocally back then and on this show I found his stage antics really cringeworthy and laughable at times. But it was clear that he's genuinely enjoying being on stage so why not. I had seen Armored Saint in Prague just two weeks prior to this show and John's vocals were absolutely amazing. I know it's an old and worn off subjects, but it's just incomparable.

I was kind of disappointed with Jon Donais' performance too - the solos are good, but he's just got no stage presence and zero charisma.

And by the way - is Charlie a touring member of Anthrax anymore? There was Jon Dette on drums, just like six years ago. Nowhere was it announced that Charlie doesn't play on this tour. What was the last time he actually played with Anthrax? I mean, Jon Dette is a great drummer and he plays the material perfectly! But I was definitely disappointed not to see Chief there.

That being said - Anthrax as a band was really CRUSHING together. I literally couldn't get my eyes off Scott Ian, he pretty much stole the show with his brutal riffing and killer tone. The guy is a fucking machine and he really played the shit out of his guitar like it was his last show ever. Amazing.

There was a power cut at the beginning of Antisocial, so before they got to the first chorus, the PA went off. Took them like 10 minutes to fix it, and when they came back, they only played Indians as an encore, with a surprising snippet of Cowboys From Hell. The setlist was pretty the same they have been playing for decades. I mean, throw in something rare at once... They actually played Medusa which I always considered to be one of the shittiest songs they have written but I have to say it didn't sound bad this time.

I have a video of Breathing Lightning (the only new song they played) so when I upload it I'll give the link. Czech audience were cool and there was some brutal moshpit which I did not take parti in :)

Reactions: YOYOMOSHMAN
I still wonder what's going on with Charlie. I recently watched this whole show and with all the respect to Jon Dette... Charlie is Charlie. Doesn't look like he has troubles with his hands. Maybe the thing is he still cannot leave the USA?

My daughter wants to see Anthrax with me, she's 17 on the 19th. I raised all my kids on Anthrax and a host of other music they would have never heard if it wasn't for me and my older sister.