Anybody into Scar Symmetry ?

I absolutely refuse to believe for a second that Pantera killed anything or started nu-metal. Stefan, do you actually think that there'd be no nu-metal if Pantera had never existed? It's ridiculous and absurd to assume something like that.

If I needed a scapegoat for the creation of nu-metal, I'd pin the blame on Roots by Sepultura, even before I would Korn. However, I don't think anything directly started nu-metal and I believe it would have happened no matter what. People just always need to someone or something to blame for everything they don't like.

Pantera is/was a good band for their time, although by today's standards they're definitely not fresh or groundbreaking. I can fully understand people that have only gotten into metal in the last 7 or 8 years not liking them at all. But if nothing else, that band made metal fans of some of the best modern musicians out there today.

Appreciated.

^sayin, kevin knows what's up.

also if you really want to go into the phenomenon. Nu-metal was a direct result of kids growing up just like I did, the suburbs were flooded with both hip hop and metal/hardcore/punk, it was all inclusive.

I would play hoops on the weekend in 7th grade, my friend and I would bring Metallica and Megadeth and the Hispanic and Filipino kids would bring The Chronic and that 1999 Bone Thugs album and we would listen to those four cassettes all day, kerry king chillin with the beasties, aerosmith and run dmc, etc, living colour, fishbone, bad brains, etc etc....nothing was segregated anymore.

A fusion was bound to happen.

Unfortunately, all those bands managed to completely suck at both rapping and playing metal but, that's just the way it went down. For every Candiria there were 1,000 Hed PE's and Crazy Town's, thems the breaks.

Even though Roots is a great album, it did bring about the trend of bands thinking "woah, they just tuned down their guitars and played some jumpy riffs on one string" and everyone started playing like that, but I think that Roots album crushes and most everything trying to copy that style (even soulfly) fails.

but for sure, Roots would be to blame more than Pantera any day. Pantera was the epitome of metal at that time, especially in a more mainstream context, they were brutal and experimental compared to the shit metallica and megadeth were doing then.

SS are one of my favourite bands atm. I'm not quite sure what the new singer setup will bring though. Something about having two male singers just looks homosexual.
( I'm just talking about the visual aspect here, I'm sure they're skilled and everything )

I absolutely refuse to believe for a second that Pantera killed anything or started nu-metal. Stefan, do you actually think that there'd be no nu-metal if Pantera had never existed? It's ridiculous and absurd to assume something like that.

If I needed a scapegoat for the creation of nu-metal, I'd pin the blame on Roots by Sepultura, even before I would Korn. However, I don't think anything directly started nu-metal and I believe it would have happened no matter what. People just always need to someone or something to blame for everything they don't like.

Pantera is/was a good band for their time, although by today's standards they're definitely not fresh or groundbreaking. I can fully understand people that have only gotten into metal in the last 7 or 8 years not liking them at all. But if nothing else, that band made metal fans of some of the best modern musicians out there today.

Appreciated.

The groove from Vulgar Display of Power definitely killed what was left of thrash. The kinda riffing they had in Walk paved the ground for Machine Head and Sepultura to really make it shitty. Roots and the first Korn album feels like a continuation of the grooves and the TUFF GUY!1 attitude Pantera presented, only worse.

I will never ever take any more of your opinions seriously. That's literally the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard anyone say about metal, ever.