Armored Saint Covering Anthrax?

Finally someone says it. The mastering is indeed way too loud. It's not so much the compression as much as the limiting...but yeah....the mastering sucks. I never understood why so many bands ruin their otherwise fine sounding albums by mastering them so loud they are basically clipping. It's like spending days making sure you paint a car so it looks perfect, then taking out your car keys and scratching it all to hell when you're done.

But musically, it fucking rules and allows me to hear those fuckin' classic thrash songs with vocals that don't make me cringe.

The whole thing would have been much cooler if they had taken one or two songs from every album up to WCFYA and created really new versions instead of making just minor changes.
yeah then everyone could bitch that the whole band totaly fucked up the old songs instead of just blaming john bush. who did a great job i might add. lets hear a cd of joey singing john's stuff, so both sides have equal amo.

Finally someone says it. The mastering is indeed way too loud. It's not so much the compression as much as the limiting...but yeah....the mastering sucks. I never understood why so many bands ruin their otherwise fine sounding albums by mastering them so loud they are basically clipping. It's like spending days making sure you paint a car so it looks perfect, then taking out your car keys and scratching it all to hell when you're done.
This whole thing is new to me, as I had never heard about it before recently, but I have always thought some records sounded like shit, like Primus' Brown Album or Slipknot's Vol. 3. Then an engineer friend got me into the whole clipped sound thing, classic examples like Californication and Dance of Death. Now I hear it all the time! Goddammit. I've read this from Pepper Keenan about COC's new record:

"This is supposed to be an organic kind of album," he said. "It's heavy, because this album is supposed to have dynamics. We drove the record company crazy with [it]," he admitted. "It just didn't sound the way we wanted it to. We mastered the record three different times with three different people to get it right. The first guy compressed it to sound like a heavy metal album. We wanted it to feel like a jazz record. It needed those ups and downs. Once we heard it, we were like, 'No way. We're doing it again.'"

The bigger question is why mastering engineers are doing this. Record company pressure? I can't imagine Anthrax wanted Go2E to sound clipped. Or maybe they just don't realise it.

mmm i think it's an ok cd but as people have sayd i think it sounds overproduced and some of the songs are played a wee bit more slowly and have a more rawky feel as oppose to a thrashy playful sound they had in the belladonna days, and the latter is what appeals to me by far(this is why i think metal thrashing mad was ruined,but the way they made deathrider thrash/groovy was awesome). however in saying that belly of the beast and keep it in the family sound awesome and suit bushes voice pretty well but i just dont think he has that kind of charm that i find in joey's voice but thats just a personal thing.......... oh yeah and lmao!!! i can remember thinking WTF at "YEAH! ..YEAH!" on among the living cos it was the first track i listened to when i bought it. haha i also remeber caught in a mosh being insulted with the "1!2!..1234!! HAHAHA.......but meh itll get the occasional spin when schoolbus radio is too loud for me to hear all the old shit cos its too quiet!

Overproduced?? Nah. It was a live in the studio thing.I play this C.D at work almost everyday, the guys there are not even big Anthrax fans,but there all like holy shit awsome C.D,I like the bonus C.D as well I been waiting along time for them to rerecord Anthrax (the song) which is one of my favs from F.O.M,they should play that song live more often :headbang:

yeah i didnt mean overproduced it jus sounds sort of too distorted and loud and i dotn know the cause of that so i just sayd it...

DarbysDad said:
But Johnnie I thought you didn't like falsetto? :D

Anyway :headbang: on!!!

I have said it a couple of times here. I don´t like falsetto, with the exception of King Diamond!:headbang:He´s way too distinctive and kicks all the speed metal nightingales´ass!

Where is this "over-produced" coming from? It sounds loud because of the mastering. That's my only complaint of the record.

I'm one of the dicks who wanted an Anthrax album with Bush singing old songs so bad, then didn't like it when it came out. I stand by my statement that I prefer Joey on old Thrax, and Bush on new Thrax. two completely different entities right there.

I was looking forward to it but wasnt too impressed with it.
The non-joey songs were ok. The rest were too slow and just didnt seem right.
Kinda like the newer versions of "Freebird."

DarbysDad said:
I think I hate everyone on this board because I like both singers. :D

could be worse Dave Mustaine, King Diamond or Clay Aiken could be singing the songs :yuk: :puke:

Just love this fucking thread.

haha me too. I dig both singers. Seen them both, enjoyed them both.

And Dave Mustaine USED to be the reason I could not listen to Megadeth - but I have grown to like his voice with time.

Not a big fan of GOTE although some songs are ok.. Belly Of The Beast was pretty good....I'm not saying Joey is the greatest singer and at times sounds outdated but I prefer to hear is songs with him singing them. I watched MOMD the other day and thought it totally sucked....Just my opinion...

King Diamond rules. Except when he 'calls in sick' to a concert.
when merciful fate opened for motorhead in chicago (no remorse tour) king billy, got pelted with a cup of beer. he put a curse on the dude right in the middle of the song. when we were leaving, we were hoping the guy would fall down the stairs and break his neck or something but i guess the curse takes a while to go into effect.
i love king diamond. though i perfer merciful fates first 3 albums over any of his solo stuff.
all hail satan, yes hail satan!!

beating a dead bush im sure(no pun intended) but i like the musical change some of the ongs were better some were worse.

but all in all i think is rocks, regardless