Austria

metu

Nov 21, 2002
MI, USA
Visit site
OK.... This is hands down the most overdue thread ever. Austria has such a great black metal scene. I haven't heard much of their other kinds of metal, but at black, black ruling all, they're in a league with only one other country as far as I'm concerned.

I've been listening to european metal for a little over two years now. Norway brought me in and Austria made me stay. :]

Let's discuss, drop links and all that shit. :]

here's an obvious one incase you don't know.

http://www.blackmetal.at/

there's a good deathmetal scene as well :kickass:

i think especially live, 90% of all bands are just awesome (better than on CD or mp3), and i'm not saying this only cos I'm austrian :)

here you can find a big list of austrian bands of all musical styles (click on "underground" . there are also some foreign bands listed: D = germany, and CH = switzerland, F = france, SWE = sweden, the rest should be all austrian )

some links:
Midgard www.midgardmusic.at (unfortunately they don't have any samples online :( )
Amortis http://go.to/amortis
Thirdmoon www.thirdmoon.at ("Bloodforsaken" is brilliant, there's not a single bad song on it, imo)
Darkfall - www.darkfall.tk
Seeds of Sorrow www.seedsofsorrow.com
Hollenthon - www.hollenthon.com
Pungent Stench - www.pungent-stench.com

Right on.

I have no doubt that there's a kick ass death metal scene up in there. Much of this black metal is so raw that it would be rediculous if there weren't.

:cool:

Any doom and/or folk stuff?

folk and folkish sound have:
Tanqeray www.tanqeray.com (not to mix with www.tanqueray.com :lol: though vodka I wouldn't deny :dopey: )
Tanqeray could belong to the Skyclad-camp, soundwise :headbang:

and Nerthus (review ). there's some parts that are totally brilliant and others where the drum computer is just annoying as hell. they have some instrumentals too, and those are just adorable, imho :headbang:
other than these, i don't know of other folkish stuff.

Doom... nah, not really. but I'll keep my ears open ;)

Word. Tangueray'll fuck a nigga up. :]

Have you heard of Estatic Fear? According to doom-metal.com they're, "Very complicated, orchestral doom with many different instruments, for example lute." Sounds pretty damn cool to me.

Jack Frost for traditional doom. I guess they're disbanded, though.
http://jackfrost.at/pages/index1.html

hehe, now that you mention estatic fear: I had an album and traded it :eek: it was the album "a sombre dance"
but don't ask me if it was any good or not... i can't recall

Looking back up at your links, I didn't know that Pungent Stench was from Austria. I remember hearing them a while back and enjoying it. I'm slowly checking out all the links.

Also, it's very easy for me to believe that these bands put on great live shows. There's so much energy in that scene.

While I'm posting, do you know anything about a world/folk music gathering in Vienna during the summer. It's not so much of a festival as it is a summit. I found a site about it a while back, but I can't find the link right now. I'd like to go to that.

I've heard that Vienna is just a typical modern European city these days. (Apparently WWII broke some stuff.) Do you think that it still has it's own unique flavor? Is it still the best music scene in the area?

Graz (in Styria) is equivalent or even a hint better. people in the Bundesländer (= not from the capital Vienna) have a bit different attitude towards many things: they are used to go relatively far for anything (job, friends, ...), so they are more mobile and thus you can have a gig in salzburg, styria, upper austria, whereever, and still you will find many people from almost all Bundesländer there. but Viennese people are spoiled, they are used to be served anything in their town... - - anyway, Graz is one town that has a very similar if not better scene (though "scene" means people from a radius of like 100km ;) )
this summer were insanely many underground gigs and one-day fests. usually there's almost nothing going on because of the big festivals in germany; but this summer was different.
as for this world/folk summit: there were some this year, in different towns. do you mean a specific one?

vienna does have some nice sides, yes :) of course, depends on what YOU find "nice".
i find the fact that there's really many green areas in and especially around vienna, very pleasant. there's many parks (those where you can actually feel unobserved), and outside the city-borders you have the "wienerwald" which is a national park (very vast area with hills for hiking and also rock climbing; ruins and little castles as well; nature-adventure areas, etc.)
the inner city and the "business-districts" are of typical modern european style. still, you find many older buildings, that contribute to a certain charm.
for example: i work in a pharmaceutical company, and the building is of old style with ornaments and all that stuff. vis-a-vis, a new apartment-block is built up right now and it's a typical modern building: no ornaments, just plain concrete, modern doors, modern all. boring in one word =) --- both right next to the american embassy :lol: :p

some hundred meters away, you have an apartment block which apparently was built VERY long ago, and in the background you see a building that was designed by Hundertwasser (if this name rings a bell) :lol: vis-a-vis you have a main train station which includes much glass in its architecture. - still, somehow it all fits together, surprisingly....

the outer districts look almost like a suburb, and thus the borders to Lower Austria are very fluent.

when you're in the inner city (1st district) in the evening - especially at weekends - you have all kinds of weird and kinky sites and people running round there =)

oh and the tramways are from the 60ies :loco: a good part of these old trams were replaced by modern trams, but there's enough old trams still doing their daily job. (the new ones are HELL in summer. and i mean hot as h e l l . sauna temperatures, cos there's only very small windows and much glass; don't ask me why they built them ...)

as for metal: the best is Escape-Metalcorner :headbang: then Graffiti (more a heavy metal, power metal club; other styles too, but the emphasis is on the first two.). the Graffiti is located directly in a very sophisticated shopping street :lol: so you have very elegant and stuck-up people walking around there in the evening (window shopping) or people going to the opera or theatres or other "cultivated" places. and right in between nice&clean places, there is ONE WOODEN DOOR, READING "GRAFFITI" above it and scary people, all dressed in black and leather and boots and men with long hair are hanging out there with beer bottles in their hands, laughing and talking about stuff that the average passenger just cannot sort out :tickled:

there's some other metal places as well, but they are more oriented on more successful metal-styles, if you understand...

gig locations: for underground gigs, the ZU-GA-BE ("encore") is the place these days. in the same club you have a jazz-bar as well, and it's built like a labyrinth.
when you go to the WC, you can hear both: jazz on one ear and metal on the other :lol: (if gigs are happening right then)

generally, i'd say vienna has many opposites and this is good :)

still i prefer going to some underground fest in another Bundesland, because people seem to be more easy-going and the attitude is different a bit, too :)

I just came up with what I think is a kick-ass question in the Hunary thread. I reckon I'll ask it here, too. How many peole come to what kind of shows over there? I guess there are different scenes... but, hell, run with it. :]

well,.... they're "true" , haha! and
i can say that i like Blessmon much more.

other bands (not BM ;) )
Erebos, Khagan, are live very good, too (saw them last week on friday). but they have extremely shitty mp3s so anyone who listens to their offered mp3s will tick them off as "extreme waste of time".

btw, Erebos gave away their demo for free :D

opacity said:
cool :Smokin: we could meet there
ahh... everywhere you go there is a metalhead to greet you...
:hotjump:
No mercy festival on the 3rd of april also sounds cool :)
my cousin will maybe come with me..his girlfriend is studying in Hungary
as for my friend that I´m visiting: he hates metal...

:Smokin: really coming for No Mercy? CANNIBAL CORPSE, HYPOCRISY, KATAKLYSM, CARPATHIAN FOREST, VOMITORY, SPAWN OF POSSESSION, EXHUMED, PREJUDICE
would kick ass! if you really come for the 2 gigs, i could give you an address to buy tickets in advance (a few euros cheaper than buying directly at the gig); i always buy tickets there (totally official place, don't worry ;) ) - maybe your friend is so nice to get them for you so that you have tickets for sure

opacity said:
if you really come for the 2 gigs, i could give you an address to buy tickets in advance (a few euros cheaper than buying directly at the gig); i always buy tickets there (totally official place, don't worry ;) ) - maybe your friend is so nice to get them for you so that you have tickets for sure
is it not the ticketsale at www.planet.tt?
if I can buy the tickets over the internet I´ll just do that instead of bugging my friend
I hope to make it to both gigs, I´ll book a flight not later than dec/jan

ok, here's a new Austrian band, and every fan of scandinavian melodic DM will enjoy this one a lot, cos imho it has exactly that what all the big scandinavian names are lacking lately.

link:

edit: i deleted the link cos the samples there are only horrible and don't reproduce the real music :mad: