Bands that changed your mind with live performance

arg

Jun 4, 2008
Any bands that you thought sucked but won you over when you saw them live?

On the positive side:

Post reunion Septicflesh. Their more symphonic tracks are totally devastating live. Epicness to its limit.
Modern Satyricon. The Volcano onward tracks sound really good. Their latest one is quite powerful so hear, far better than the studio version.
Alcest. Way better live than on record, Neige's screams are incredible.
Twisted Sister, 6 years ago. Incredible performances, sound and energy.

As changing my impression on the band entirely? Korpiklaani (around 10 or 12 yrs ago). I went there because someone gave me a ticket, but the show was simply great. I wasn't sure what songs they played, but the party hard ones were the less and most of the set sounded like more or less serious folk metal well executed.

Reactions: arg
Good to know, and what a coincidence, I’ll be seeing Korpiklaani in less than 2 weeks and I think they suck! They’re touring with Eluveitie lol

Good to know, and what a coincidence, I’ll be seeing Korpiklaani in less than 2 weeks and I think they suck! They’re touring with Eluveitie lol

Well they can't be worse than Eluveitie, right?

Enjoy.

Reactions: arg
I remember seeing Misery Index on Obscene Extreme thinking wait this kicks ass, but I still never listened to them afterwards. Shows how spoiled the little Onder bitch is.

Well, not sucked, but it's unlikely I'd listen to Isis or Psycroptic now if I hadn't enjoyed them live first.

One big standout was the 2nd time I saw Impetuous Ritual. Not normally my sort of thing and I'd seen plenty of similar stuff including them at a lower budget venue, so it was surprising how much more I enjoyed them. Still can't get into their recordings though.

I bet all you haterz would become Eluveitie fangirls if you saw them live

I think I catched them when they had just around 4 albums, so the setlist was decent. It's not the kind of folk metal I like (I'm far more inclined to Otyg, Storm, Isengard, Vintersorg and the like) but the show was really good. The drummer was really good and the bassist too. I talked with him and the guitar player after the gig and he shared some interesting stories about Primordial.

Eluveitie sucks cocks tho, same for Turisas.

I also saw Ensiferum live when they were touring Iron or around that time I believe. Great show too, but the material they had at the time was already pretty good, so it was expected to not suck.

On the negative side, Dream Theater is one of the most boring crap you can ever see live. I like a good bunch of their albums, but the live show with Mangini on drums is simply sterile, lifeless, with a quite bad sound for a band with such resources and they look totally bored on stage. Also, FUCK LaBrie.

On the positive side:

Post reunion Septicflesh. Their more symphonic tracks are totally devastating live. Epicness to its limit.

This is hilarious to me, as I've told everyone for years that SF is the single worst death metal band I've ever seen live, and I've seen hundreds; death metal shows are the only ones I go to. The guitars had zero weight at all, could barely hear them over the obnoxious back-tracked symphonics. BUT even if I could blame it all on the sound, their faggot ass frontman literally could not resist counting to 3 or saying "come on!!" or "let's go motherfuckers!!" every 30 seconds like some 17 year old pop-punk vocalist. Maybe if he spent a little more time working on stage banter (or just shutting the hell up) rather than trying to play dress up to like like homoerotic Iron Man, they wouldn't be utter dogshit. Their albums have sucked for the better part of a decade, too.

Reactions: Onder and CiG
This is hilarious to me, as I've told everyone for years that SF is the single worst death metal band I've ever seen live, and I've seen hundreds; death metal shows are the only ones I go to. The guitars had zero weight at all, could barely hear them over the obnoxious back-tracked symphonics. BUT even if I could blame it all on the sound, their faggot ass frontman literally could not resist counting to 3 or saying "come on!!" or "let's go motherfuckers!!" every 30 seconds like some 17 year old pop-punk vocalist. Maybe if he spent a little more time working on stage banter (or just shutting the hell up) rather than trying to play dress up to like like homoerotic Iron Man, they wouldn't be utter dogshit. Their albums have sucked for the better part of a decade, too.
The sound on the show I attended was spot on to the point of being simply crushing. The setlist was good too and the performance was flawless. Now, I know Seth can be annoying live, but at least when I saw SF, he was a bit more focused on the show. He kept saying "My Friends" in between the songs, tho. Sort of funny.

From the post reunion albums, TGM and the last one are pretty good.

The Devil's Blood

Their gimmick seemed really corny to me so I never really gave them a fair shot.

Saw them at MDF and absolutely loved everything about them.

Korpiklaani played almost all “drinking party folk metal” and the crowd, including me, loved it!

Eluveitie was godlike though. 2nd time seeing them and what an epic, majestic, joyful, spiritual experience that was