best show you have ever been to? (music-wise)

Kenso

Juke Box Hero
Sep 18, 2006
zzz
im curious to hear from you guys, what band put on the best show you have seen? you can list more than one if you need.

Been quite a few actually, but the one that stands out the most is Midnight Oil.
Show was early 90's here in Raleigh at Walnut Creek.
Small crowd, absolutely amazing show.

Honorable mention to Meatloaf.
1986 free show in NY at the old Worlds Fair grounds.
A time when he was already long forgotten.
Was a short hour set, that kicked ass.

Hands down--Pink Floyd during their final Division Bell tour...9th row.

There's been nothing like it in intensity or total submersion in the moment since then...and I was stone cold sober! I can only imagine what SOME people were seeing/feeling. :lol:

:Smokin:

Music wise... it would would probably have to be the Riverside set at NEARfest 2004. Even though it was not asked.... energy wise... any of the Pantera shows I was fortunate enough to see (seemingly ages ago :().

Van Halen 'Women & Children First' & 'Fair Warning' tours
Iron Maiden 'Powerslave' tour
Queensryche 'Empire' tour
Kiss 'Creatures of the Night' tour
Savatage at Rock-It club in Tampa where they played the whole 'Streets' album
Van Morrison 'Healing Game' tour

im curious to hear from you guys, what band put on the best show you have seen? you can list more than one if you need.

I'm going to tweak the question a little bit to: If I could re-experience one performance out of all the ones I've seen, it would be the hour that Larry Carlton played in '92 at the Warner Theater in Washington DC (opening for The Rippingtons). That set almost made me believe in God.

Others: Dream Theater on the I&W tour at Hammerjacks in Baltimore; Iron Maiden on the Powerslave tour. Rush on any tour :)

Ken

CONCEPTION @ ProgPower...I never thought I would see these guys, and they did not disappoint

TRAPEZE @ The Roxy in Atlanta 1994...I never thought I would see these guys either, and Glenn Hughes was REALLY in top form that year

BADLANDS @ The Roxy in Atlanta 1991...I never imagined this would be the last time I would ever see Ray Gillen. I also saw Glenn Hughes in attendance that night (before he sobered up); unfortunately, Glenn hid out in the balcony all night, never making his presence known, even though Ray asked from the stage several times if Glenn was there, begging Glenn to please come up and jam, etc.

BLACK SABBATH @ The Civic Center in Atlanta 1986...The main reason I went to this show was to see Glenn Hughes; the show starts, and some guy I've never seen before comes walking out...I'm pissed because this guy is NOT Glenn Hughes...this guy grabs the mic, and begins to WAIL...I find out later the guy's name is Ray Gillen...I'm instantly a huge Ray Gillen fan

Honorable mentions to each and every time I've ever seen Iron Maiden, Savatage, and TestAmenT

Def Leppard in Denver, CO - 1996
Saviour Machine in Elgin, IL - 1998
Queensryche in Grand Rapids, MI - 1999
Iron Maiden/Queensryche/Halford in Detroit, MI - 2000
Stryper at Cornerstone Fest - 2001
Gamma Ray @ ProgPower - 2002
Morgana Lefay @ Chicago Powerfest - 2005
Orphaned Land @ ProgPower -2005
Texas Madfest, of course :p - 2007
Dream Theater in Dallas, TX -2007

I have four that I toss around in my head (with many many honorable mentions...keep in mind I've only been going to shows since about 2004):

Sonata Arctica - early 2006, Masquerade, ATL: one of the best crowd-involving performances I've ever seen. The crowd was medium-sized, but was very much into it. One of the best performances I've ever seen, and an awesome setlist.

Green Carnation - early 2006, Ground Zero, Spartanburg, SC - hands down, the best set-list I've ever been to (in that it gave me EVERY SONG I wanted to hear from the band)...and that is saying a lot. It was one of the best shows because of the story involved (if you ever want to hear the full saga, talk to me or Mosquito [Justin]), and the fact that they played the first half of their epic one-song album "Light of Day, Day of Darkness". Despite the fact that there were only about 8 people in the crowd readily wanting to see Green Carnation play, the sextet played their asses off and had an incredible set because of it.

Blind Guardian - late 2006 ATL, Charlotte, NC - Two shows in the same week by the same band, and they had completely DIFFERENT setlists. It was amazing, because it was like I got two different shows by the same band. Whereas in one show they played great songs like Welcome to Dying and The Story Ends, at a completely different show they played Majesty and Past and Future Secret. It was amazing, and of course the band is a class act and sounded completely professional the whole time.

Kamelot - a few weeks ago, Jaxx - The best show I've seen this year BY FAR, and a show that I had been pining to see ever since I was told about ProgPower (a year too late to see Kamelot. True that I saw Conception and got to see Khan, but it wasn't Kamelot). They were impeccable. Everything about their live show screamed perfection, and it was great. The crowd was a bit much (sold-out shows are not a mainstay in SC, NC, and Georgia), and it was very hot inside Jaxx, but show-wise Khan hit every not, Thom Youngblood ever solo, and the rest of the band were class as well. They impressed even me, and I'm a fanboy for sure. Loved it.

I also usually lump festivals that I've been to in a big bunch. Maryland Death Fest 2005 was awesome, got to see Cryptopsy, Wormed, Impaled, Immolation, among others. And Mosquito and I went to the Chicago Powerfest this year which was amazing as well (Novembers Doom, Saturnus, Atheist, Martyr...good fucking God).

I also usually lump festivals that I've been to in a big bunch. Maryland Death Fest 2005 was awesome, got to see Cryptopsy, Wormed, Impaled, Immolation, among others. And Mosquito and I went to the Chicago Powerfest this year which was amazing as well (Novembers Doom, Saturnus, Atheist, Martyr...good fucking God).

would i be an idiot if i asked what a lump festival was?