BLACK LABEL SOCIETY and DOPE Confirmed for CHICAGO POWERFEST 2009

GateXII

Soul Collector
Jun 26, 2001
Chicago, IL
www.twelfthgate.net
CRJ Productions would like to welcome BLACK LABEL SOCIETY as Headliner and DOPE as their direct support for the Friday, May 8th, night of the next CHICAGO POWERFEST, set to take place on May 7-9 at The Pearl Room in Mokena, Illinois. Tickets for this May 8th, date of the fest will go on sale this Saturday, April 4th, at 11am CT via all Ticketmaster locations.

Festival organizers also commented, "In keeping with the Powerfest tradition of spanning a wide variety of hard rock and metal genres, BLACK LABEL SOCIETY and DOPE are two more bands who will contribute perfectly. This is what we feel a metal fest should be & plan to continue in this multi-dimensional direction with the goal of being bigger and better each year."

Final Powerfest Main Stage Lineup...

Thursday, May 7 (kick-off show with Paganfest tour):

KORPIKLAANI
PRIMORDIAL
MOONSORROW
BLACKGUARD
SWASHBUCKLE

Friday, May 8:

BLACK LABEL SOCIETY
DOPE
KIUAS (Fin)
ASSAILANT (Swe)
MINDWARP CHAMBER
BuzzNews.com Metal Wars Winner

Saturday, May 9:

DEVILDRIVER
SOIL
NOVEMBERS DOOM
PERZONAL WAR (Ger)
SHEEPHEAD (Ger)
LUNA MORTIS
DIAMOND PLATE

Current Acoustic Sets…

Friday, May 8:

SACRED DAWN
WILL BOZARTH

Saturday, May 9:

NOVEMBERS DOOM
GWYNBLEIDD

Tickets for the other two nights of the event (May 7th featuring Paganfest USA 2 & May 9th featuring DEVILDRIVER) are currently available via all Ticketmaster locations. Also, specially priced 2-day & 3-day ticket combos will also be made available starting April 4th via www.ChicagoPowerfest.com

As previously reported, CRJ Productions will continue with its official fan sponsorship/VIP program this year…intended to give fans a higher level of participation in the fest and a chance to take advantage of some cool perks.

For more information regarding Powerfest or the VIP program, please visit www.ChicagoPowerfest.com and www.myspace.com/chicagopowerfest

Really interesting choice with Dope. I wonder if they'll be touring with BLS? But hopefully they can bring their Chicago family to this show. I do like BLS. I get that its fairly generic and that its mostly adored by the motorcycle riding metal fanclubs of the world, but they know how genuinely rock.

It's disappointing to see a festival that was built on the backs of the underground, jumping on the backs of commercial acts. I can appreciate the economics of it. And as with most thing, economics are the bottom line. Regardless, I wish Rob & Chris well. I hope this festival sells out for them. Clearly they put a lot of time and effort into this. Good luck.

Zod

I'm sure that BLS and Devil Driver weren't their choices for headliners when they were planning this years fest. Its different from a Prog Power lineup but I'd rather see the fest continue to happen rather than go the way of BWBK 6 pack, Bay Area Fest and the others that went under.

I'm sure that BLS and Devil Driver weren't their choices for headliners when they were planning this years fest. Its different from a Prog Power lineup but I'd rather see the fest continue to happen rather than go the way of BWBK 6 pack, Bay Area Fest and the others that went under.
Agreed. As I said, I wish them luck and obviously hope you guys put on a kick ass show and win some fans. I'm just disapointed, as I was really hoping to come to Chicago this year.

Zod

Yep .. best of luck on the Friday and Saturday main portion of the fest. I will be there Thursday to catch Primordial and Moonsorrow, so hopefully I'll run in to a lot of folks that regularly attend Powerfest.

Sales wise I'm sure the lineup for Friday and Saturday will sell some tickets .. it's just that I hope it doesn't lead to future lineups with similarly commercial type artists. Hopefully this lineup will lead to more future lineups that are more to my personal likings.

Britt

Agreed. As I said, I wish them luck and obviously hope you guys put on a kick ass show and win some fans. I'm just disapointed, as I was really hoping to come to Chicago this year.

Zod

Maybe we can meet half way, we've had a promoter talking about bringing us out to Ohio and some other states.

Anyway I'll see you at PP for sure.

:headbang:

I would love to see Luna Mortis, Diamond Plate and a few others but for right now I don't have the money to spare financially just to see those bands. It was either this or going MDF or seeing Amebix. All in the same month all out of state.

Being from Michigan I know more than I'd like to about DOPE. I think I may dislike them more than I do SOIL.
BLS was a good pick though.

A case of bad luck just reared its ugly head but I still have hopes for a Powerfest 2010 that will be along the lines of my taste.

Best wishes

If anything, bringing strong headliners benefits the smaller, lesser known acts on the bill because that way the house will be packed. Underground wins either way. Really looking forward to this.

On a positive note, this lineup is solid for the fest and will no doubt bring another sell out....the downside is it does nothing for me so I'll be staying home this year, which is probably good since I need to save money..lol. Glad to see you guys are continuing to build a solid fest! Hopefully next year there will be a band or two I can dig!

If anything, bringing strong headliners benefits the smaller, lesser known acts on the bill because that way the house will be packed. Underground wins either way. Really looking forward to this.

That's what I was thinking.

I won't be attending as the lineup doesn't appeal to me outside of Kiuas, but GREAT for them to be able to play to a nice sized crowd in the US thanks to bands like BLS and Dope.

Hmmm...

I'll probably be on the fence about attending both days up until the weekend of show. I'm still springing for a couple bottles of Jäger though, whether I'm there or not. :heh:

If anything, bringing strong headliners benefits the smaller, lesser known acts on the bill because that way the house will be packed.
It depends on who packs the house. If Opeth was headlining, you guys and Novembers Doom would win a ton of new fans and sell a whole lot of CDs. I'll be curious to hear how many kids with Dope t-shirts make their way to your merch booth. Maybe I'm wrong.

Underground wins either way.
Did we? We had a festival that once featured headliners like Tad Morose, Iced Earth and Testament, that now features Devildriver and BLS. Doesn't feel like a win to me.

Really looking forward to this.
Hope you guys kick ass.

Zod

It depends on who packs the house. If Opeth was headlining, you guys and Novembers Doom would win a ton of new fans and sell a whole lot of CDs. I'll be curious to hear how many kids with Dope t-shirts make their way to your merch booth. Maybe I'm wrong.

Did we? We had a festival that once featured headliners like Tad Morose, Iced Earth and Testament, that now features Devildriver and BLS. Doesn't feel like a win to me.

Hope you guys kick ass.

Zod

Zod, all fair points, but then again the world isnt perfect. I think if all fans of the underground decided to abandon this show now, I think it would signal to the organizers that they need to stick to more mainstream acts even more in the future. In theory, the best way to show support for the underground side of things would be to buy up the tickets before the mainstream kids do, and then attend only the portions you want to see. An emtpy room in front of certain "bigger" band is as good a signal as the organizers would be able to get to not book that type of act again. Of course that's just being a little idealistic here. I wish this was the repeat of HC for us when the RC crowd showed up and made a party of it!

Anyways, thanks for the words of support for us!

Btw the Nostalgia preorder will begin late next week.

I think if all fans of the underground decided to abandon this show now, I think it would signal to the organizers that they need to stick to more mainstream acts even more in the future. In theory, the best way to show support for the underground side of things would be to buy up the tickets before the mainstream kids do, and then attend only the portions you want to see.
I suspect it's just two different views of the same outcome. For me, this really isn't an issue of voting with my dollars. You guys are local and ND (who I've seen twice) will probably hit NYC at some point in support of the new disc. The only band I want to see who I'll miss out on is MWC.

Anyways, thanks for the words of support for us! Btw the Nostalgia preorder will begin late next week.
No problem. Looking forward to the release. The samples sound amazing.

Zod