Bonds all time homerun king!!!!

Bear

Got Shred??
Feb 6, 2002
Canton, Georgia
I just watched it happen and it was beautiful!!!!! 756 and counting...Say what you will about all the BS , he still had to hit the ball over the fence 756 times and that was not an easy task...Awesome congratulations by Hank Aaron after that happen, very cool!!!!

Okay I am going to go find my flame suit...Great to have this forum here too

Bear

I don't agree with Bonds' alleged preference in weight training "aids", but it is cool to see history made and broken. It was inevitable, and I'm glad he broke the record at home.

Had he done it anywhere else, it would have been a pretty negative reaction and that would not have been too healthy for the sport.

I'd root for Bonds if I could find sand deep enough to bury my head in. Being from Chicago, had Sosa done something like this I'd have been extremely embarrassed. The real home run king showed tact and grace tonight, two things Bonds is lacking. Here's to Hank for setting a positive example and reminding many of us that although the scumbags like Bonds will have their moment in the sun, its the true legends that make the game what it is.

Bonds better enjoy it while it lasts. It took 30 years for Aaron's record to be broken...in the near future Bonds' will be broken. A Rod is already over 500 & on his way. Barring some injury or complete breakdown on A Rod's part...Bonds will only be a slight memory.

Steroids don't help somebody to hit home runs. What Bond's has done is little different from the numbers that Roger Maris put up, or Babe Ruth, or Hank Aaron even. Bond's has been lucky to play in a time when there are more games to be played, thus more at bats. That said, Bond's is one of the best hitters of all time, its too bad that some uninformed persons who think that he's only had success due to steroids, will mar his remembrance.

Check out: http://www.arthurdevany.com/webstuff/images/DeVanyHomeRunMS.pdf for more information.

when I was a kid I was a huge Bonds fan, but in later years I stopped following him (nothing to do with the whole steroids issue) but I'm very glad to see him pull this off. I still have a big collection of Bonds baseball cards from when I was a kid too (had maybe 3-400 different ones). Wonder if they're worth something now :)

After his remark in the early 90's when Terry Pendleton won the MVP award as a Brave, I have hated Bonds. I could care less what he has accomplished, yes it is a great feat, but i wish it had been someone else.

I'm not a Barry fan...actually wasn't a baseball fan for a while because of the strike and steroid fiasco, but have recently gotten back into it. I didn't want Bonds to break the record even though I knew it was inevitable, however, I watched last night and was completely irritated at something. I was not irritated that Bonds broker the record...after watching it I actually felt happy for him for the first time ever. What annoyed the freaking piss out of me was all stations were glued to reporting on his, "weight training" and not his accomplishment. The media sucks...even Sportscenter last night pissed me off. 20 minutes or so after he freaking breaks the record they're already tarnishing it. The guy has hit a lot of homeruns...you would think they would give him the benefit of the doubt and not start bashing him until at least the NEXT DAY!

It really really really pissed me off that Sportscenter (SPORTSCENTER!) had a piece already taped and ready to go last night that ripped him for his alleged steroid use. On the night he breaks the record, they couldn't wait to ruin it for him. It wasn't enough just to talk about steroids...they had a damn taped piece put together. Give the guy one damn day of glory before you destroy it...but that's my opinion.

Here is what steroids have done for Barry.,.And if you believe that your a freaking idiot

Barry Bonds

Career Avg: 298 (great record for how many years he's played)

Records:
# 1 all time for Major League home runs in a single season with 73.
Tied # 1 all time for Major League career home runs with 755...he will break it...
# 1 for most walks in a career with 2,539 (Think of how many HR he would have)
# 1 for most MVP Awards with 7.
# 1 for most consecutive MVp awards with 4 in a row.
# 1 for most pitchers homered off (445)
# 1 for most consecutive games with a walk with 18.
Tied # 1 all time for most consecutive walks with 7.
# 1 all time for consecutive seasons with 30 or more home runs with 13 seasons.
# 1 all time for most consecutive seasons with.600 slugging percentage...8 seasons
He's the only player to have 400 HR and 400 stolen bases
He's the only player to have 500 HR and 500 stolen bases
1 of 4 players in history in 40-40 club (40 HR and 40 Stolen Bases)

More Records:
In 1998, Bonds tied John Olerud for the National League record of 15 consecutive plate appearances reaching base. He also tied this record again in 2003.

In 2001, Bond's slugging percentage of (.863) set a single season record. He also slugged .812 in 2004, only the second time in history that a player has bettered .800 twice. (Babe Ruth in 1920 and 1921).

In 2002, Bonds amassed a .582 on base percentage, breaking Ted Williams 1941 record of .551. In 2004, Bonds finished witha .609 OBP, the only time a player has bettered .600 over a full season.

In 2002, Bondos won the National League batting title with .370, becoming the oldest player to do so. He was his second title in 2004.

During the 2002 post season, Bonds set the record for most runs hit in a single post season (8). Bonds hit .471 with 4 homeruns and 13 walks (7 INT) in the World Series, thereby slugging 1.294 with a .700 on base percentage.

In 2004, Bonds set the single season on base slugging percentage record with a total of 1.422.

In 2004, Bonds become the first player in history with more times on base (376) than offical times at bat (373). This was due to the record number of walks, which count as a time on base, but not a time at bat. He had 125 hits, 232 walks, and 9 hit-by pitches.

Bonds has won the National League Player of the Month award 13 times which is a record for either league. The next highest in either league is Frank Thomas who won the Al award eight times and the next highest in the NL is only six held by Georgie Foster, PETE ROSE!!!, and Dale Murphy.

More AMAZING STUFF
5 time San Francisco Giants Player of the Year
14 time All-Star
7 Time Baseball America NL All-Star
3 Time Major League Player of the Year
3 Time Baseball America MLB Player of the Year
12 Time Silver Slugger Winner for NL Outfielder
Led Major Leagues in home runs 2 times
Led the NL in batting average 2 times
Led the NL on base percentage 8 times
Led the Major Leagues in slugging percentage 6 times
Led the Major Leagues in extra base hits 3 times
Led the Major Leagues on base percentage 4 times
Led the NL in runs once
Led the NL in RBI's once
Led the NL in walks 9 times
Led the NL in intentional walks 10 times
Led the NL in runs created 5 times
Led the NL in games once
Led the NL in extra base hits 3 times
Led the NL in at bats per home runs 7 times
Led the Major Leagues in batting average in 2002 with an average of .370!
3 Time NL Hank Aaron Award Winner

#1 in HR. #3 in Runs. #5th in RBI. #35 in road to 3,000 Hits. #2 in Extra Base Hits, # 2 in times on base. #4 on total bases.

He has also played some defense
8 Time Gold Glove Winner for an NL Outfielder

Listed #6 on Greatest Players of all time in 2005.

He rates 350 on the Hall of Fame monitor (100 is a good HOF number)

Bonds is a cheater and will be stripped of the Home run title one day soon. Hank Aaron has one thing Bonds never did....CLASS!!

Yeah, poor Bonds cheated by having amazing hand-eye coordination, great pitch reading, and great patience.

Bonds may have a poor attitude. He may not be loved. But he's perhaps the greatest player of all time. Its really too bad that there's all this steriod crap surrounding him.

Sure, Atlanta Brave fans will forever say that Hank Aaron is the only one who did it without cheating.

Its funny... but Barry Bonds is perhaps the second must underrated and underappreciated player of all time. Second, only to Ryan Sandberg. Who's numbers are purely incredible compared to any other second baseman. Yet, left off the lists of the top 50 of all time. So sad.

I consider myself a baseball fanatic. I consider Bonds one of the greatest players ever based on his Pirate days alone. After reading "Book of Shadows" and seeing all the circumstantial evidence, I have no doubt you are looking not just at one of the biggest cheaters in the game, but a product of the era. There are tons of other players that did it. Barry just happens to be one of the all-time greats that did as compared to the regular guys (Brady Anderson's 50 HR season anyone?). He increased his performance from great to unbelievable.

What really hurt him is not just his assault on a cherished record, but he is the #2 asshole personality-wise of all time (Ty Cobb would still whip his ass).

Barry-Bonds.article_0.jpg

Steroids don't help somebody to hit home runs. .

Steroids do not make you a home run hitter. Steroids do not make you a hitter period. I don't even think they increase bat speed myself as some do. Hand-eye coordination in baseball is the hardest skill to master in any sport. Barry is a God in regards to that and is why he is a Hall of Famer based on his Pirate days alone.

What steriods do is allow you to hit a ball *further* than you normally would based on increased strength and muscle fatigue recovery..nothing else. That 385 ft flyball to the track becomes a 415 ft dinger for the Roid user. To deny that is to stick your head in the sand along with the other ostriches.

Well said Glenn and I agree. I think people would cast doubt before thinking of it logically however. as anyone can see form the massive thrashings he is taking in the press alone. I would bet If Bonds was a Yankee the country and the world would hold him if a different regard but he is not so c'est la vie.

Bear

Folks;

There is no question that Bonds took steroids. None at all. However, Glenn said it right. In order to hit 756 homers, you have to first hit the ball. You could have one of those helmets with two cups on it, filled with HGH, and you are sipping it through a straw, with a gigantic neon sign saying "I Love Steroids" flashing on his jersey, shorter than my fiancee (She's 5'0) with the body mass of King Kong, if he strikes out 250 times batting .099, it won't mean a hill of beans.

However, the reason why the media is trying to crucify him is because he is a certified Grade A, USDA Prime, Government inspected asshole. Bonds is probably the most despised human being in baseball history. (Sorry, Glenn, I disagree on the "Georgia Peach", who was more a product of his upbringing.)

Think of this. I know he probably would never have done 'roids even if he was an asthmatic, but I am going to throw it out there. But, do you think the media would have crucified someone like Dale Murphy if he took HGH and slammed 756 Homers? Something to think about.

Peace,
Ray C.

Glenn, that's true. You can hit it a few extra feet. Some studies/predictions are that it would influence only a few. As guys like Bonds, McGuire, and Sosa rarely had homeruns that barely made it over the warning track. Their homeruns tended to be crushed quite strongly. Though I doubt any more so than Babe Ruth.