Building myself a Studio Desk

crillemannen

Jun 20, 2007
www.studiohaga.net
Hello,

After seeing allot of cool home build studio desk i thought i'd give it a try. I am aiming for a 20 rack space desk with room for placing my monitors on top, so all in one desk :) I will add a table space for keybord/mouse.
I've designed the desk so i will get a perfect triangle for my listening position

Here is some progress pictures:

desk1.jpg

desk2.jpg

desk3.jpg

I will update as soon as it is painted etc..

Cheers / christian

I too am confused, Wheres the flat working areas? does the table space sit in front of this unit? as in all the rack slope down towards the desktop?

Hmm... that's what I thought, but that just seems like it'll be a pain in the ass to reach anything? if you have the monitors on top and the screen in the center at that flat portion up top, it'll be super inconvenient to adjust everything, especially with a keyboard/mouse combo front?

Ok?? Care to explain why you dont like it?? I just want a better overview. I have a small control room so i need to make the most of the space :)
And for now i only use 12/20 rack spaces so i think it will work out just fine??

Ah, Now I get you. That makes sense. You sure did make a neat job of that. Is that 3/4 MDF you are using?
It wouldn't be my style desk either, but thats the great thing about building your own desk, you can build it to the way you want. Nice job, I was just thinking that you may have trouble reading some values on the rack units near the top, but you mightn't. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product

Yes it is MDF, really nice easy to work with material. The console will only be 105cm wide and about 90cm deep so it will fit perfectin my small room. I just couldnt get a Argosy table because of the size of those beasts :)

And even if i fill out all of the rack spaces the modules will only be at an 30-50cm reach so it shoudlnt be a problem

Cheers

Personally, I would separte the two units with a space between like this one:

http://www.sterlingmodular.com/images/consoleD/consoleda1.jpg

But as you said, space is tight and you have designed it according to the listening position triangle.

Yeah that would be the ultimate console but i really thought this one through. I cant have a wide console as that one. Perhaps 140cm wide at the most but then again it will be tight and i hate the feeling of things laying almost on top of each others haha.

Yeah that would be the ultimate console but i really thought this one through. I cant have a wide console as that one. Perhaps 140cm wide at the most but then again it will be tight and i hate the feeling of things laying almost on top of each others haha.

I know what you mean, When I built my old one (though I only built it on top of an existing desk to house rack units etc) I spent ages trying to come up with right design. I was never fullyhapy with it and I kept changing it, until finally got one that worked, then had to move country so that was the end of that :lol:
30-50 cm is nothing really, I think it may look huge in thos pictures, be nice to see it all loaded up! I'm looking forward to seeing it now,

MDF really is nice to work with, really smooth and the finished product looks well, nice and clean, especially if you'll be painting it. I guess the only downsides are if it gets wet it can be ruined, but no fear of that in a studio full of gear. I guess it also rapes saw blades due to all that god damn glue, but hey, they can be replaced :lol:

Best of luck with it, and keep us updated

That looks really cool, but also a little uncomfortable for the legs.
Idk, your knees maybe push against the front?!

I don't think so. I will add a desk for mouse/keybord which will add about 30cm so i think i will have enough space, and as you can see on picture nr 1 i have made some holes for my legs, so i think it will be alright?? haha

Looks like it would make a good analog mastering console, but I think it would be uncomfortable for long tracking/mixing sessions.

Interested to see the final results!

Make sure you use T-Nuts to hold the rack rails on, MDF is HORRIBLE when it comes to screws stripping out.