Cellphones

CliffBurton

Nov 12, 2005
Ontario
I got caught in a massive storm 2 days ago and my phone drowned :(

luckily its my birthday this week so my parents are offering to buy me a new one :D!!!

So I know nothing about what phones are good. Has to have an mp3 player in it, has to be a Rogers phone, and has to be under $300 with no plan.

My Choices so far:

LG Xenon - MP3, Touch Screen, Keyboard for texting, camera.
LG-Xenon.jpg

Krazer K1 KRZR - MP3 with shitty storage, camera. Cheapest, will be getting a massive SD card for it
b8ec23b5b88009d3d2440b7c4f03-1-3.jpg

Sony Ericson W350a - Been warned against this one actually. Phone and MP3
image_790.JPG

The Xenon is my first choice obviously (mainly cause I dont have to pay for it *dance*), but I dont want to bother with something that expensive if its really just trash. Krazer is also really nice I think...if it were my money I'd be getting that, just for the good price its on.

Anyone know more? Im going shopping this afternoon hopefully.

P.S. Oh, and if it comes in a wicked blue, or dark green....bonus :p

Agree, go for the Xenon out of those

stay away from Sony Ericsson, despite what every teenager and their dog will tell you nowadays, i've tried many many of them, and they are right arse, and prone to crashing.

Nokia i don't even see on the list there, the N97 would be the direct competitor for the Xenon, but its keyboard is seemingly smaller and more clumsy, and from my own experiences, while nokia is more stable than SE, the speaker unit of them has gone down in quality, im having trouble hearing people without forcing the phone INSIDE my head.

But i've heard good things about LG

Another brand you might want to check out is HTC, which ive also heard a lot of very good things about lately
Mate of mine recently bought the "Hero" model or whatever, and he's extremely happy with his

LG are about as crappy (crashing, slowdowns, etc) as sony ericsson. Motorola are nowhere near sturdy, and will break if left alone for 5 minutes. So, simply put, none of your options are good. You should get a nokia, they are probably the most reliable phones today. Never seen anyone complaining about HTC so that might be an option too.

Both too expensive.

The Xenon looks cool yeah, but my dad and step-mom both use the Krazer, so I don't think he wants me getting a fancier phone :p. Be advised I'm your typical awkward, clumsy nerd, the thing will get dropped. I might just walk like a hot-shot and be like, "Bitch I want an Iphone", and talk them down to practically giving me one. That shit works right? For awkward, clumsy nerds : / ?

Krazer is looking nice though. Its simple enough, just I'd prefer a keypad :(

Postjump:

My Motorola now, has lasted a good 8 years in the family :p Its one of the first with colour screens!
The battery life is also fantastic, its lasted full weekends being on (although I'm unpopular and have no irl friends *tear*).

But Nokia and HTC ones just look too expensive. I'll keep them in mind when looking around later though.

ANd yeah my Brother had an Ericson, then it broke so they gave him the next one, then it broke, and now hes busy bitching about his new ericson. As for slow and crashing...I've never had a phone crash on me : / Wtf do you people do to yours?

LG are about as crappy (crashing, slowdowns, etc) as sony ericsson. Motorola are nowhere near sturdy, and will break if left alone for 5 minutes. So, simply put, none of your options are good. You should get a nokia, they are probably the most reliable phones today. Never seen anyone complaining about HTC so that might be an option too.

Really? Interesting, but also makes sense, as those who have been saying good things about LG, are the same kind of people who use Sony Ericssons. Haha.

And yes, motorola is dung.

Nokia are very reliable but you really gotta test it before you buy it on the calling sense, its kinda hit or miss what models have good speaker and which who dont. Its about the only complaint i have on nokia.

Also needs a solid Vibrate. (inb4 buttplug)
The thing shakes in my pocket, and I hear it without feeling it.

Also, custom ring tones :p I want that too!
So I can show everyone how hip I am based on the amount of calls I get.

Theres not a modern Nokia that wont let you have custom ringtones. Use a DAW to edit Mp3's to have your fav parts as ringtones :p

I don't know the magnitude of vibration on the various models though, cant help you with that other than i've found my own nokias to be sufficient

I want the type of rington thats like

"HELOO!! YOUR PHONE IS RINGING!!!"

So people can mistake me for a man-child.

^true.

Old motorolas were pretty good - I had one since high school, about 8 years too, dropped it a bazillion times, never crashed, still working as new. Was CDMA though, and I needed something with a chip, so I bought this piece of crap:

sony-ericsson-w302.jpg

There are nokias in every price range. I never heard about the speakers being bad, but I trust our cupcake's opinion :p you don't need an n97, the 3120 and 6120 (got 3g which is cool) are pretty nice phones and not expensive at all.

+1 on Nokia, but get one without a joystick, mine has one and it works prefectly, but I'm afraid that someday it will break or stop working.

What the fuck is 3g? I really have no clue what it is, and why its good.

But yeah I'll keep Nokia in mind when looking around.
Like I said, its my Dad's dollar, and he's pretty easily convinced by salesmen...and doesn't trust the intelligence of the internet, so we'll see how it turns out.

I also have to convince him to let me shop around in a Games Workshop while I'm there, wonder how well that will go down :p

Edit: Yeah Id never get a joystick on something that is going to be spending alot of time in my pocket, if its small enough I'll probably have it on me while running.

3g is the third generation (hence 3g) of cellphone networks, one that is optimised for high-speed data transfer. In laymen's terms: broadband internet on your phone. Drawback: you need a 3g enabled phone and simcard to use it.

3g is the third generation (hence 3g) of cellphone networks, one that is optimised for high-speed data transfer. In laymen's terms: broadband internet on your phone. Drawback: you need a 3g enabled phone and simcard to use it.

Excellent! Laymen is my middle name :cool: