Comics!

Have you read much of the Star Wars comic books?

I picked this up the other day on a whim, never read any Star Wars stuff before.

View attachment 4071
I've read ALOT (of not most?) Star Wars comics and,

While the old Marvel Star Wars comics (like the one you bought) are not bad, they suffer from being too much superhero influenced. It's often like reading Spider Man in space, which isn't what Star Wars is for me.

I think the earlier Dark Horse books are probably the best. The Thrawn Trilogy that Krigloch linked is probably my all time favorite Star Wars comic. It has the classic feel of the original movies and with alot of the classic characters but with lots of new characters and a story that doesn't just feel like a side story to the movies but a continuation of them. The art also captures the rugged Star Wars feel too which is always nice.

Speaking of Star Wars, anyone like the Valerian and Laurieline comics by Mézières? Any fan of comics and Star Wars should read them, George Lucas certainly did. He actually borrowed ALOT from them. ;)

I love this panel Mézières did after watching the orginal movies for the first time:
val.jpg

Reactions: CiG
The new lot of Star Wars comics have put Marvel firmly at the top of the charts. People are mad for them, and I guess Star Wars pretty much lends itself to the comic book form. I've never read one though, and quite frankly I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms...

I read the original Marvel series, then I read the Dark Horse Star Wars series that was being published right before that company lost the license back to Marvel/Disney. I am currently reading the Star Wars and Darth Vader series Marvel is putting out. I read their Princess Leia mini series but skipped the Lando and Chewbacca minis.

I haven't read much of DC lately seeing as they've turned into a soulless mouthpiece of PC SJW bullshit in so many ways, from literally critiquing supposed sexual objectification to adding token minority characters and preaching about police violence towards young black men. And that's hardly the tip of the disfigured iceberg. These are comic books DC, not soap boxes for your grotesquely misinformed identarian horseshit.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Like I said, I've not personally come across anything PC, or that I've noticed anyway. But I'm sure it could be peppered in and done well.
I wouldn't be against a vague feminist arc for example.

The new Batwoman stuff is just her being a token lesbian with hardly any character beyond that, Harley Quinn has given an entire soliloquy to a random male character about talking about her ass, Batgirl is now a Brooklyn hipster, etc.

I agree that DC is shoehorning in alot of political views in their series (Marvel is doing the same thing though so it isn't DC unique) but I don't really disagree with them so I guess I don't mind. I can see why others do though, but even beyond that the series are generally pretty bad. Just bland washed out stories where nothing ever happens. Even Snyders Batman starts to feel boring after awhile.

I don't think Frank Miller would do a better job though, he is pretty overrated imo. I have a hard time stomaching his DC stories. His characters are alot of times really unlikeable in a bad way. My favourites by him is probably Martha Washington or his Daredevil and Elektra stories.

I think the best superhero writer nowdays is Grant Morrison, All Star Superman is super epic and his Batman stories about Robin is also really good. I also think that his run on Action Comics was maybe the best of the New 52.

I've never cared if something I enjoy has political biases, what's imperative is that it's done well and perhaps that it's more on the subtle/makes you think/reconsider personal views side and not the here is a gender swap and a bunch of brown people for no reason oh yeah and all the men will be dumb and incompetent because grrl power rawr side.

Right now I really like Geoff Johns and Garth Ennis.

I agree, but both Marvel and DC have done quite abit of the "here is a gender swap and a bunch of brown people for no reason oh yeah and all the men will be dumb and incompetent because grrl power rawr side".

I don't really like Garth Ennis either (feels like I don't like any writers x) ), but his Hellblazer run is pretty good if you haven't checked it out yet.

I agree, Marvel is horrendous about it too. My thing is, when I read a comic book, I'm looking for a good, engaging story and good art. That's all I ask. But, lucky me, the writer then proceeds to force his fully engorged sociopolitical biases down my throat like an errant hail of razor blades. I just want a good comic book, not a retarded sermon. It'd be just as bad if some conservative comic writer started vicariously yacking about the glory of the free market using my favorite characters as his mouthpiece. Whether I agree with the politics or not, I don't want them in a 500 lightyear radius of my god damned comics. Frank Miller is a legend if you ask me, I like a lot of his work, especially The Dark Knight Returns.

Is anyone else into Hickman's East of West? I'm way behind, but I read the first five or six issues, and I think it's awesome.

No, but I just googled it and I think I'm going to order book one. It looks really good.

I just want a good comic book, not a retarded sermon. It'd be just as bad if some conservative comic writer started vicariously yacking about the glory of the free market using my favorite characters as his mouthpiece.

Did you like Watchmen?

I agree, but both Marvel and DC have done quite abit of the "here is a gender swap and a bunch of brown people for no reason oh yeah and all the men will be dumb and incompetent because grrl power rawr side".

Luckily for me I haven't experienced this yet.

I don't really like Garth Ennis either (feels like I don't like any writers x) ), but his Hellblazer run is pretty good if you haven't checked it out yet.

I enjoyed Hellblazer, but his run of The Punisher is what truly impressed me.

Watchmen is good, but it gets unbearably preachy at times too, the anti-Reagan stuff being the most obnoxious (and I say this as someone not terribly fond of Reagan).