Current opinions on blut aus nord's "the work which transforms god"

Solipsist

beyond all horizons
Jul 27, 2006
I felt like bringing up this topic because the band's new album ("Metamorphosis of Realistic Theories") is scheduled for release early next month (suprisingly, I just about haven't seen any talk about the upcoming release on here, the metal-archives.com forums, etc.). Anyway...

There's two basic opinionated divisions of people regarding this album (similar to the "love it or hate it" dichotomy regarding albums such as "Transylvanian Hunger"): those who praise the album and have often referred to it as the "greatest black metal album ever and a modern innovation that will push the genre forward" (no, I am saying that everyone who prasies it feels exactly that way, but it seemed especially evident during the album's debut in 2003), and of course, those who dismiss the album as "overrated and pretentious psuedo-intellectual garbage". Once the hype died down, I noticed more and more people fall among the secondary group.

I mostly have a "middle-ground" opinion on the album. I can understand why certain people dislike it (I found most of the ambient interludes on the album to be pointless, and what the hell was dedicating 18 seconds of silence to one track for? it amounted to nothing... in addition, the vocals get irrirating on some tracks). I also agreed and identified with those who thought the album's atmosphere was truly alienated and horrific... the album's overall sound is still something I consider truly unique. And yea, I can say that the abum has some very solid tracks for what they are ('The Fall', 'Our Blessed Frozen Cells', 'Procession...'). But I consider the album far from perfect, and I don't think it is absolutely innovative; it is just unique (some consider the album too much deriative of Thorns/Godflesh/etc.)... plus I think that in the grand scope of metal, it doesn't measure up in quality and spirit to older BM classics such as "Hvis Lyset.../Filosofem", "Pure Holocaust", etc. I can just consider it a flawed but above-decent post-2000 BM recording nowadays.

The ambient tracks are to prepare an atmosphere. That's always been one of the aims of black metal, this is just sans electric instrumentation. Big change. The 18 seconds of silence is to metaphorically "prepare" you for POTDC, unquestionably the album's centerpiece (ironic considering its track placement...). Besides, John Cage dedicated 4 minutes and 53 seconds to silence long before Vindsval and company did, so big deal. And yeah I can see the vocals being annoying sometimes.

It's a fucking fantastic album, a brilliant guide through a tortured psyche. I'll never get tired of the horrifying, disturbing atmosphere it conveys. It's absolutely amazing throughout. Sure, some singular tracks aren't as good as Our Blessed Frozen Cells or The Choir Of The Dead, but as an album, it's an epic journey through hell...whether that hell be the archetypal or the metaphysical.

I thought it was a pretty solid album. I didn't think it was the end-all be-all black metal album of the decade, but it was a solid release with an amazing atmosphere. In fact, it actually took me a while to get into the cd. I can't wait to see what MoRt will be like

It's very good, but it's definitely not the best black metal album ever.

My opinion's barely changed since I first got it, although I listen to it far less these days - great album, though of course not in the same league as some of the old classics, as you say.

I think BAN didn't push themselves hard enough on this release. It seems clear from most comments I've heard that some tracks are very well admired while others don't hit the mark. CotD, OBFC, and PotDC are always mentioned as the top tracks. When there's such a clear difference between the top three songs and all the rest, there are probably consistency problems.

Nonetheless, the atmosphere remains consistent and effective throughout, even when the quality of the music isn't as high as it could be. I like the drum programming a lot.

I can't think of too many black metal albums I like this much that have such a low degree of headbangability.

I don't know.I guess i'm more selective in labeling something.Some people call Mercyful Fate Black Metal I really don't understand that too well,but I suppose it could be termed as such.

Well, I'm asking what you'd call it. Mercyful Fate's early stuff is proto-black metal, which I guess is a kind of black metal. Venom is the same thing.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Well, I'm asking what you'd call it. Mercyful Fate's early stuff is proto-black metal, which I guess is a kind of black metal. Venom is the same thing.

:lol: I'd just call it Blut Aus Nord. Venom to me is definitely Black Metal I'd have to think of what I would call Mercyful Fate a little more carefully though.
Alot of what i listen to defies easy description.