Cyhra - The Vertigo Trigger - August 2023

I think Halos has better high points compared to TVT - there is some sublime guitar work on that album, even if only in small spurts - but TVT for me is more consistent and doesn't have any major dips in quality. It's also less confused than Halos, which seemed to be some kind of weird faux-Power Metal album. TVT drops the Power Metal fakery and is mainly just your standard melodic metal/hard rock hybrid - again, basically Amaranthe but a little lighter due to the lack of screaming vocals.

I think both Halos and TVT pale in comparison to LTM, but both have some redeeming features. I feel like you kind of have to be partial to pop-metal and general pop to really accept those merits though. Your standard old school Metallica/Megadeth/Iron Maiden fan is not going to be feeling anything but disdain for Halos or TVT.

Reactions: Xpyro125
I think Halos has better high points compared to TVT - there is some sublime guitar work on that album, even if only in small spurts - but TVT for me is more consistent and doesn't have any major dips in quality. It's also less confused than Halos, which seemed to be some kind of weird faux-Power Metal album. TVT drops the Power Metal fakery and is mainly just your standard melodic metal/hard rock hybrid - again, basically Amaranthe but a little lighter due to the lack of screaming vocals.

I think both Halos and TVT pale in comparison to LTM, but both have some redeeming features. I feel like you kind of have to be partial to pop-metal and general pop to really accept those merits though. Your standard old school Metallica/Megadeth/Iron Maiden fan is not going to be feeling anything but disdain for Halos or TVT.
I think I'd have to wait until I listen to songs other than Ashlight more than twice to see how I feel about TVT's high points. That being said, Ashlight.

Completely agreed. Letters is on a whole different league than those two, though I do think that if old school metal fans can get behind the vocals, they might enjoy No Halos. It's certainly a more guitar-focused album than TVT, but fuck, man. I don't know.

Reactions: DE4life
Lifting Life is a Hurricane out of garbage tier into Listenable... the solos are horrible but I actually think the rest of the song is alright, and the chorus is actually really well done.

Okay, so, detailed review. I'm not going to mention lyrics much because, to be honest, most of them are pretty juvenile and not worth discussing.

Ready to Rumble - 2/10

Don't need to go into this one again. Idiotic track.

Let's Have My Story Told - 6.5/10

The intro sounds like the beginning to an Amaranthe song with the keyboards. Then we get to a repeating theme of this album (and Halos) where the verse is stripped back and relies solely on the vocals to carry everything. Not a big fan of this. The chorus is alright. More Amaranthe sounding guitar/keyboard work which is nice and upbeat, then back to the stripped back verses again. The guitar solo section is actually quite nice here, no issues with that and it flows into the chorus nicely. Some nice guitar work to end the track. I mainly just wish the verses had more energy on this one.

Live a Little - 4/10

It starts with Jake saying his mother told him he was part Lion, so, okay. Lyrics here are quite political, and whilst I don't have a problem with that neccessarily, I'd ask if Jake is actually doing anything himself other than putting out bad music to make his point. The actual song is pretty weak, with wimpy sounding keys and vocals. Guitars are scaled back considerably and the drumming is pretty basic. There just isn't much to this one.

1,000,000 Fahrenheit - 7/10

The beginning is once again very Amaranthe sounding. The keys are a bit cheesy, but I don't necessarily mind. I think it sounds alright. Verses are once again stripped back for the vocals. Chorus is a decent earworm with some nice guitar behind it, but I am not entirely sure what Jake means by spinning a ferris wheel. I'd understand spinning a roulette wheel or something, but a ferris wheel - as in the ones at a theme park? I don't get it. There are some fillter riffs briefly and then some cool guitar work that doesn't last for long enough. Anyhow, the song is okay, my only other complaint would be that Jake's vocals could be a bit more energetic, especially on the chorus. I feel this is a common problem across many of the songs, his vocals sound a bit too soft and lacking power.

Buried Alive - 6/10

The intro riffs remind me a little of the intro to Letters to Myself. Another song with stripped back verses and vocal focus... it's annoying that they keep doing this. It's too predictable. Chorus is okay but in the context of the album doesn't stand out enough to make it distinguishable from the last four songs. Drumming on the verses is quite odd, doesn't really blend with the vocal lines. Overall I just find this track really generic - nothing stands out, although it's a competent enough Cyhra-type song. The "whoaa-ohhh" stuff is annoying, which knocks a little off the rating too.

The Voice You Need to Hear - 8/10

My take on this is probably going to be radically different to everyone else, but I really like this one. It's similar to Inside a Lullaby in terms of general structure, but tries to be a bit more ... epic, I guess? No guitars in this one at all. Jake really flexes his vocals here, going into different registers and hitting higher notes. I appreciate the vocal effort and think he sounds good. As noted previously, to me this sounds like something you'd hear on something like Eurovision. Have to say I wasn't expecting clapping and finger snapping in a Cyhra song, but here it is, and it works fine in the context of the track. It wouldn't surprise me if Jesper had a hand in this one, as he's written pop stuff before. The keys definitely sound like his work. This is Jake and Jesper going pure pop, and IMHO it's a very nice pop song. If you're looking for metal then obviously this one would be a dud.

Life is a Hurricane - 6.5/10

Can't remember if I mentioned it before, but the intro really reminds me of the heavier tracks on Foregone. I'm almost waiting for Anders to come in with a low growl at the beginning. That stupid solo kind of ruins the opening though. The verse vocals have good melody to them, as noted the chorus is actually quite an earworm and probably the best on the album. The final solo is equally redundant, with better solos this one could have been a 7.5, but they definitely knock a point off for me. Anyway I liked this one more than I remembered.

If I - 6/10

Starts fast and heavy, which is quite fine, the verses also don't get stripped down for the vocals, which is nice... but there just isn't much interesting here. Another chorus which is decent enough, but we've heard variations of this kind of chorus many times across this album and NHIH, so it's nothing new. The solo is a little too wild for my taste, reminds me a bit of the Life is a Hurricane solos, although it's not quite that bad. I had this in the garbage section as well, but that was probably too harsh. It's another one that's listenable without being hugely interesting.

Fear of Missing Out - 6/10

Much like with NHIH, there are too many songs on this album that blend together because they sound too similar. This is another one that falls into that trap. Stripped back verses, uninspired guitars, same old chorus. The guitar work about 3/4 in is nice enough, but overall this just feels like filler.

Ashlight - 7.5/10

This is a nice little track. Opening has some haunting keys and whispers from Jake, the verse builds up as it goes on, elements added in instrumentally as Jake builds up some vocal intensity - it then moves into a nice sounding chorus. It's a good flow throughout. All of a sudden at 2:45 the song pivots into a breakdown section, then breaks into a solo that sounds very different to what we've heard before in terms of production and structure. I like this - it's a break from the norm and reminds me of the experimentation on LTM, which is a nice change of pace from the filler tracks. Also a nice switch to high-pitch from Jake at the very end.

Too Old For Fairy Tales - 6/10

Similar to "If I", this one doesn't strip back the verses which is nice. However, it's ultimately just another one of the filler/standard tracks, you simply don't need this many songs that sound the same on one album. Once again some decent guitar work about 3/4 in, but I just don't think this song does enough to differenciate itself from the others on this album that sound very similar.

My average sits at around a 6/10, which I think is fair. It's not an incompetent album, nor is it an album with anything really exciting on it. There's nothing on here that you couldn't get from either LTM or NHIH. I have the same gripes here, more or less, that I had on Halos. Not enough experimentation and too many similar sounding songs playing it safe. it just doesn't sound like the band have enough ideas for an entire album. an EP, sure - as with Halos, you could make a solid enough EP out of this material, but not a whole album. For me it's something like:

Good/Decent tracks

The Voice You Need to Hear
Ashlight
1,000,000 Fahrenheit

Filler tracks - not bad, but not memorable. Combine these into two or three songs and you might have something good

Let's Have my Story Told
Buried Alive
Life is a Hurricane (if not for the solos this could be in the good section)
If I
Fear of Missing Out
Too Old for Fairy Tales

Bad tracks

Ready to Rumble
Live a Little

Most of the album doesn't offend me, there's not really anything here that makes me angry or majorly pisses me off. It's actually probably better than Halos in that regard. There's no stupid "hit hit hit hit me harder" or "bye bye foreverrr" nonsense, outside of Ready to Rumble which is just the drizzling shits.

IMV they fucked up a bit with the singles. I would have gone with Ashlight, Fahrenheit and maybe also Hurricane. Putting out the shittiest song on the alvum followed by two fillers (albeit Hurricane being one of the better fillers) was questionable. I will realistically only listen to Ashlight, The Voice You Need to Hear, Fahrenheit and maybe Hurricane again in future. The rest, much like a significant amount of Halos, will not be listened to by me again.

A final word - I simply can't hear much Jesper on this at all. If he contributed then it must have been limited, or he wasn't trying very hard. You hear much more of his influence in THE than you do on this or Halos.

Live a Little - Generic song structure with weird instrumental sound effects that make this song more interesting. Breakdown guitar part after piano solo is pretty cool.

1,000,000 Fahrenheit - Decent. Seems like they actually tried on this one. Interested in who wrote this one.

Ashlight - Decent. Jake actually doing something different here. Normal singing without vocal fry at 0:27-0:31 sounds very good. Wish he would do that more. Catchy chorus. Breakdown a little weird but it’s good they are trying something new.

Buried Alive - Basic but solid songwriting without any offensive elements.

The Voice You Need to Hear - Straight ballad. Noteworthy for Jake hitting higher notes.

IMV they fucked up a bit with the singles. I would have gone with Ashlight, Fahrenheit and maybe also Hurricane. Putting out the shittiest song on the alvum followed by two fillers (albeit Hurricane being one of the better fillers) was questionable.
Yeah. I also think when they said this album was “darker” they could have meant more “serious” or “mature”. Possibly an English language misunderstanding.

It’s like Ready to Rumble should not have even been on this album, and filming the music video like a joke was a big mistake.

Musically Ready to Rumble is ok if not good even. It’s the repetitive lyrics and subject matter that bring it down. I actually like the atmosphere and musical vibes of it.

So Ashlight got a music video!

It's absolute dogshit, but I guess at least we got one. It'd be cool to hear it played live.

Yeah. I also think when they said this album was “darker” they could have meant more “serious” or “mature”. Possibly an English language misunderstanding.

It’s like Ready to Rumble should not have even been on this album, and filming the music video like a joke was a big mistake.

Musically Ready to Rumble is ok if not good even. It’s the repetitive lyrics and subject matter that bring it down. I actually like the atmosphere and musical vibes of it.

Well, the exact quote was "we took a deep breath and dove down to explore a slightly darker, more progressive and modern side of ourselves". I would take issue with all of this honestly, as I'd say Letters to Myself is darker, more progressive and more modern than anything on TVT. I appreciate it's basically just new album hype and shouldn't be taken seriously, but at the same time I don't think Jake could really justify any of those comments regarding TVT if seriously pushed on it.

In regards to Ready to Rumble, musically there's nothing overly bad about it. It's nothing special but nothing bad either. The big problem is Jake. Lyrically the song is ridiculous, especially the chorus. It turns it into a joke song, and it's absurd to release something like that as a lead single. I can't understand what either Cyhra or the music label, depending on who made the decision, was thinking in saying "yeah, this is the one that'll build the hype". As you say, even the music video makes it come across as some kind of parody or joke. It's bizarre.

The other issue with the song is Jake's vocals. He sounds like he smoked weed before recording or something, he's way too chilled and sounding like he's on the verge of taking a nap. This is supposed to be an upbeat song, so why does Jake sound so lacklustre? It's a problem on a few other songs too, but especially on this one. Take the music, totally change the lyrics and improve the vocals and you have a track that'd potentially be a 6/10 to go with the other filler songs on the album, but to be honest even with those amendments I doubt I'd place it any higher.

Life is a Hurricane / Ashlight / 1,000,000 Fahrenheit would have been the best choice, imo, for the singles pre-album - and it would have made me somewhat interested to listen. You might even say I would have been ready tuh rumbullllll. Granted I would have been a bit disappointed upon hearing the album itself, as much like Foregone all of the best songs would have been the singles... but aren't the singles meant to be the best representation of the album anyway?

So Ashlight got a music video!

It's absolute dogshit, but I guess at least we got one. It'd be cool to hear it played live.

Glad that Ashlight will get some attention as it's the best metal(ish) song on the album. Also whilst the music video is pretty weird, it's cool to see Jesper there (although bizarre to see him on bass).

For what it's worth I'd say the music video is better than Ready to Rumble and Hurricane, although in both cases we aren't exactly talking stellar music videos.

Last edited:
Some of the music video comments...

1692436520998.png

Google suggests this translates to "what the hell" :D

1692436541219.png

Gotta have some classic toilet humour in the comments.

1692436609821.png

Google translates this as "cool, isn't it, it sucks" .... so not sure what this guy is saying :D

1692436662415.png

Elevator metal.

1692436717824.png

Idk, this one just made me laugh... I think it's the :v at the end

1692436793169.png

Odd comment, as whilst this track doesn't sound much like Amaranthe, it's not like Cyhra was an Amaranthe clone prior to this.

1692436863923.png

I assume this is meant to say "starring" rather than "staring"... although throughout the video they are all staring at the viewer, so... technically true :rofl:

The lyrics are included in the description as well, but it might have been better not to as, honestly... they're bad.

What the fuck are you smoking if you dig The Voice You Need to Hear??????????? I'm someone who shazams music in malls and mall stores, so my resistance against catchy pop shit is nigh zero, but the chorus and the try-hard affectation (Xpyro's Axl Rose comparison is spot on; I hate Guns n Roses as well, though at least Axl could sing) is grating. You guys need to go to the closest clothing store and you will hear infinitely catchier and better-sung songs.

The verses are good, but that chorus is like a cat being brushed by a cheesegrater. I double dare all of you to show the chorus of that song to your friends. I think you guys need that embarassment to realize how bad it is. I am not getting any Disney vibes either. Disney songs have soul, this one is just Jake masturbating himself furiously.

Asslight is not bad, especially the final 40 seconds, but overall still forgettable. The lyrics however are kinda embarassing. Say what you will about modern Anders' lyricism, but Foregone is high art compared to this. I'm not trying to be mean, but is Jake actually autistic? Does he have some mental disabilities? These lyrics are like when a toddler tries to communicate, but their vocabulary consists only 300 words, so they have to make do with those.

What is Ashlight? Why do you want me to open you up to this Ashlight, when you already see the world through it? 3 seconds later why do you want to
stay away from this Ashlight? Jakey, is this Ashlight currently in the room with us?

What a fucking team!!!!! Jake's lyricism and Ullaeus' cinematographic golden touch. I've just started watching this masterpiece, and it brings tears to my eyes, that such brave and thought-provoking lyrics as "first step like you're Armstrong on the moon", " I fall", "I'm about to drown" are being paired with L I T E R A L L Y showing Armstrong taking his first step, someone falling and someone drowning. This is why some books are also better as movies. You can read about drowning, but can you imagine someone actually being submerged into deep waters? Doubt it.

I also have to applaud Jake and Ullaeus, because the former writes "you come alive from nothing", while Ullaeus shows sperms fertilizing an egg, which is actually how you come alive. Now that really makes you think. If Jake wrote "WE came alive from nothing" then I'd get what he means, because in some sense of the word we really did, but no, it's about current day.

I've been watching Philomena Cunk lately, but even that persona is brighter than this motherfucker. Can you imagine being on a date with him? He says something godawfully stupid, you laugh because you think he's taking the piss, but he doubles down on it, because he really doesn't understand how babies are made. Dumb piece of shit.

The lyrics across the album are pretty bad, honestly. They're quite childish. Now, it's not like the lyrics on LTM were Shakespeare or anything, but compare Closure to anything on TVT and... yeah, there's been a decline.

What a fucking team!!!!! Jake's lyricism and Ullaeus' cinematographic golden touch. I've just started watching this masterpiece, and it brings tears to my eyes, that such brave and thought-provoking lyrics as "first step like you're Armstrong on the moon", " I fall", "I'm about to drown" are being paired with L I T E R A L L Y showing Armstrong taking his first step, someone falling and someone drowning. This is why some books are also better as movies. You can read about drowning, but can you imagine someone actually being submerged into deep waters? Doubt it.

I also have to applaud Jake and Ullaeus, because the former writes "you come alive from nothing", while Ullaeus shows sperms fertilizing an egg, which is actually how you come alive. Now that really makes you think. If Jake wrote "WE came alive from nothing" then I'd get what he means, because in some sense of the word we really did, but no, it's about current day.

I've been watching Philomena Cunk lately, but even that persona is brighter than this motherfucker. Can you imagine being on a date with him? He says something godawfully stupid, you laugh because you think he's taking the piss, but he doubles down on it, because he really doesn't understand how babies are made. Dumb piece of shit.

You sound like a grumpy old dude 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Reactions: DE4life
The lyrics across the album are pretty bad, honestly. They're quite childish. Now, it's not like the lyrics on LTM were Shakespeare or anything, but compare Closure to anything on TVT and... yeah, there's been a decline.
Listening to the first singles made me forget about listening to the whole thing. I'm not interested in the slightest in this album. Sad.

Well, I think the reviews by myself and Xpyro cover it pretty well. It's another album full of average melodic metalish songs which mostly blend together and have few memorable moments.

I'd actually say overall Halos has more memorable moments. There's no song on this album on the same level as Dreams Gone Wrong or Man of Eternal Rain. There's a few moments on Halos that are really good (3/4 section of Hit Me, parts of Bye Bye Forever). There isn't really anything like that on TVT.

The only songs outside of the singles I'd recommend is Ashlight (although I guess that is now a single) and The Voice You Need to Hear - just because it's different. Everything else... It's just average.

Well, I think the reviews by myself and Xpyro cover it pretty well. It's another album full of average melodic metalish songs which mostly blend together and have few memorable moments.

I'd actually say overall Halos has more memorable moments. There's no song on this album on the same level as Dreams Gone Wrong or Man of Eternal Rain. There's a few moments on Halos that are really good (3/4 section of Hit Me, parts of Bye Bye Forever). There isn't really anything like that on TVT.

The only songs outside of the singles I'd recommend is Ashlight (although I guess that is now a single) and The Voice You Need to Hear - just because it's different. Everything else... It's just average.
Indeed. NHIH had some great opening riffs that unfortunately dead-ended when Jake started singing. And it happened over and over again. I was frustrated, but at least I felt something.

I don’t think there is a single element of any part of this album that really makes me feel excited, or makes me feel anything at all.

Indeed. NHIH had some great opening riffs that unfortunately dead-ended when Jake started singing. And it happened over and over again. I was frustrated, but at least I felt something.

I don’t think there is a single element of any part of this album that really makes me feel excited, or makes me feel anything at all.

For the most part it's just a nothing album. It's not so bad that you can find amusement in shitting on it (eg. siren Charms, Battles), it's not so good that you can pick out all sorts of little elements that add to the music. It's just insanely bland and effortless. Not only are Cyhra putting out nothing new, but they're distilling their original sound into something so vacuous that there isn't much to say about it other than it exists. They are songs. They have all the basic ingredients and everyone is competent in what they are doing. It's just that what they are doing isn't really worth listening to.

Reactions: eochaid
Congrats Cyhra - Ashlight is modern IF lvl bad or worse.

No way I'm wasting my time to listen the whole album.

Congrats Cyhra - Ashlight is modern IF lvl bad or worse.

No way I'm wasting my time to listen the whole album.
Ashlight is actually probably the best song.

I feel like Ashlight is like how the whole album should sound and the sound Cyhra should be going for. It doesn’t make sense to be a modern band with a modern name (recalling cyborgs and aliens and such) and play washed up 80s music.