Cyhra - The Vertigo Trigger - August 2023

I listened to the song and now I wish that I didn't. I don't even understand how this is even called metal.

What the fuck are you smoking if you dig The Voice You Need to Hear??????????? I'm someone who shazams music in malls and mall stores, so my resistance against catchy pop shit is nigh zero, but the chorus and the try-hard affectation (Xpyro's Axl Rose comparison is spot on; I hate Guns n Roses as well, though at least Axl could sing) is grating. You guys need to go to the closest clothing store and you will hear infinitely catchier and better-sung songs.

The verses are good, but that chorus is like a cat being brushed by a cheesegrater. I double dare all of you to show the chorus of that song to your friends. I think you guys need that embarassment to realize how bad it is. I am not getting any Disney vibes either. Disney songs have soul, this one is just Jake masturbating himself furiously.
Listened to the song now and I liked the verse and the bridge, but damn, that chorus must be the gayest thing since two men having sex with each other. :D

Yeah, that chorus is really jarring, and you can't convince me that this guy doesn't like the smell of his own farts. I don't know if it's off-key or not, but it sounds so annoying, forced and self-absorbed.

As for the lyrics, LTM was cheesy and dumb too, but it was mostly about love and heartache. You really don't need to overdo yourself there lyrically, because people are much more lenient towards it. But you can't write a song about existential crisis with the vocabulary of a 10 year old. Once again, I don't want to be an armchair-psychologist here, but who the fuck comes up with the words "Your parents praise your first step like you're Armstrong on the moon" ?!

And that song is especially jading the more you read those lyrics, because aside from Jake not knowing how babies are made, is he really taking issue with parents praising their toddlers?! There are an infinite amount of ways parents can fuck up their children, but cheering them-- fuck it, it's really a waste of time dealing with this band any further.

Gave it another chance, and I have to say, chorus is not bad. If tempo was up 10-20% and we had some competent drumming and instrumentation behind all that singing...it would probably be a decent song.

But, there is 0 content in that whole song except one good vocal line Jake had. And even that is fucked up by the tempo.

It's actually quite amazing that 3-4 professional musicians can come up with so much nothingness in 4 minutes runtime.

Gave it another chance, and I have to say, chorus is not bad. If tempo was up 10-20% and we had some competent drumming and instrumentation behind all that singing...it would probably be a decent song.

But, there is 0 content in that whole song except one good vocal line Jake had. And even that is fucked up by the tempo.

It's actually quite amazing that 3-4 professional musicians can come up with so much nothingness in 4 minutes runtime.
Imagine even less than that repeated another 10 times and you basically have The Vertigo Trigger.

Reactions: galvanized
I don’t know about A88, but personally the only vocal part I find both good and memorable is the first half of the bridge where Jake sings "So tell me one more time that I should look the other way".

Haven't listened to the whole album, and don't think I even will. Basically, it seems like this band's problem is that the songwriting is dominated by one guy who cannot be arsed to put enough effort in it.

Reactions: DE4life and eochaid
Even if there is one good line, even if there were a hundred of good lines, the songs are still irrelevant. Easy to forget about. There's nothing memorable to hear here.

Reactions: DE4life
It basically has the same problem as Halos. Everything is too generic and forgettable. The songwriting just doesn't have anything unique or interesting. I don't think it's bad, it's just boring, which is probably worse.

Having had some time to digest it, I would definitely say Halos is better. Not by much, we're talking by .5 or something, but this band seems to be regressing with every album. I think it's pretty clear their debut will be their peak musically - presumably because that was the one Jesper was most involved with.

I think, and this is just my own personal thought, that, at some point, Jesper was out of the band but they had to ask him to be an active member again because people were loosing interest in them.

The fact that they removed him from the main picture and that they couldn't clarify if he was involved at all are the things that make me thinkl like that,

I think, and this is just my own personal thought, that, at some point, Jesper was out of the band but they had to ask him to be an active member again because people were loosing interest in them.

The fact that they removed him from the main picture and that they couldn't clarify if he was involved at all are the things that make me thinkl like that,
He’s in the main picture now. Go to Cyhra.com

It’s Jake with Euge and Jesper behind him.

Their strategy worked I guess, because we are still talking about them even though there are 100s of better bands, albums, songs released every year.

I don't think Jesper has ever been out of Cyhra officially. He just hasn't been around much since early LTM days and Jake seems fine with that. Much like THE, Cyhra seem happy operating with Jesper as a floating member of the band.

Their strategy worked I guess, because we are still talking about them even though there are 100s of better bands, albums, songs released every year.

Interest has definitely dipped tbf, I think me and Xpyro are the only ones who even listened to the album properly.

I guess now that we have THE we don't need to rely solely on Cyhra for scraps of Jesper's magic dust

I'm not saying that he is not now. What I'm saying is that, at some point, they removed him from their main picture at their Facebook page and couldn't clarify if he was still involved with the band. Then, suddenly, it's all about him and Jake. The pictures, the videos, the interviews.

I also remember how it was him the one who had to come and say that he was still in the band after the band couldn't give a proper explanation.

But, the fact that,t some point, they used, for Facebook, a picture with the new guitarist and no Jesper seems to me evidence enough that they thought that he was not in the band anymore.

It's like they're trying to refloat a (using Jesper's words) a sinking ship.

I doubt it was ever as official as Jesper telling them he was out of the band, or vice-versa. He seemed to mainly be focused on rehabbing around 2018-2020ish, and I imagine they were aware he wasn't going to be touring with them and weren't sure if or when he'd return. So, I guess they put up a picture that represented the band at that time as it was on tour. Now he's seemingly back in the fold for a while he'll be back in the photos, which makes some sense as he'll apparently be on bass for at least some of their shows.

Honestly I don't know how much of a pull Jesper would be for modern Cyhra. Anyone who is into Jesper's previous bands isn't likely to be impressed with NHIH or TVT. Hell, a lot of them didn't even like LTM.

In my opinion, a lot of people is still kind of interested in the band because of Jesper. Otherwise, I don't think that we would still be talking about them here.

Has anyone seen the writing credits?

Here is like a handful of people to be fair, and only me and Xpyro gave a shit on release day, I don't think anyone else commented :rofl: maybe galvanized... but still, I think Halos and the singles released so far would have put off anyone who was seriously interested in the band because of him. There's nothing there that would interest people who care about what Jesper creates, even more so now that The Halo Effect exists. Any Jesper fans who had been clinging to Cyhra will probably stick with THE as their main source for Jesper-influenced music now.

I haven't seen writing credits yet, but the only song I would expect Jesper to have credits on is The Voice You Need to Hear. He's written pop stuff before and it reminds me somewhat of Inside a Lullaby. Even if he has credits on the other songs, it'd be impossible to tell what he contributed as it's all so generic.

Reactions: eochaid
I haven't seen writing credits yet, but the only song I would expect Jesper to have credits on is The Voice You Need to Hear. He's written pop stuff before and it reminds me somewhat of Inside a Lullaby. Even if he has credits on the other songs, it'd be impossible to tell what he contributed as it's all so generic.
Buried Alive strikes me as Jesper influenced. Especially that acoustic guitar in the verse. Overall, it’s a solid song, not flashy, with few missteps. Perhaps generic. But in line with modern Jesper output.

Not sure about Ashlight.