DA BEARS!!!

"O/T hope my ChiTown sister and brothers are keeping warm"

Hehehehe.....aside from the huge gas bill.....and all the long underwear........ I say it's F'in freezing out there!!! -3 degrees today with a wind chill of -24.
Layers....that's all I can say. Lots and lots of layers ;)

J-Dub.....I don't think I have ever seen you "whine"!!
Also, hope your dad is ok :)

~Annie (trying to stay warm in Chi-town!!)

@J-Dubya 777: Okay, you have a point. The grief over the Stuporbowl loss shouldn't be kept bottled up inside. Thanks for posting your disappointment with some class. :) If you don't mind I'm going to quote the late great Chuck Schuldiner from one of his last offerings he gave us. This is a good one. =)

don't feed off a loss or a win the reward is to survive

Chuck was a very wise man.

By the way, you live in Cheeseland and you're not a Packers fan? Gaaaaah. Isn't that, like, blasphemy, or something, there in the Land o' Cheese?

@prncsslime (Annie): Yeah, it's farkin cold out there...still! But, WE WILL SURVIVE! +++++++ :D Stay warm over there!

That goes for you too, Dave. :heh:

Sorry to double up on the posts. I almost forgot about this post I read earlier at another (non-UM) discussion forum. It really hits the nail on the head about certain 'marketing' ploys. Heh, PR, more like Pretty Ridiculous most of the time. Here's a c-n-p of the post, and the link reference. Eddie Schwartz is a former Chicago radio personality.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Why so much nit-picking about a 20 minute segment? Consider the following:
The venue was built for sports, not music.
The fans were there for the game, not music.
Circumstances of a small window in a big telecast make them set-up as fast as possible and hope it all works. There is no real time for a sound check and it probably takes a few songs to get the balance, compression, level controls and all the other elements to come together.

When the music guys feed their produced audio to the TV guys they have to get their part right again with no sound check, unless they do a quick one during commercials and the brief programming before the music starts.

All this was going on in the middle of a rain storm. Give them a break. With all that power and equipment running in the rain, even with proper grounding and safety precautions in place there is still a risk. Unless they were operating on battery, which is inconceivable.

The pressure to get things perfect in a twenty minute window with hundreds of technicians, musicians, and staff working together probably for the first time is another factor to consider.

Maybe it's time to keep the half-time entertainment sports oriented. These pop and retro music acts are all used for demographic purposes and because they will work for those dollars under those conditions because of the tremendous p.r. bump they get.

How about some drum and bugle corps stuff, some football related stuff. A battle of the university marching bands perhaps. Make it relevant to the event. The promotional and marketing geeks have to much say in the production. The NFL should use that time to honor their vets, showcase great moments from the season just ended and get out of the instant concet business and quit worrying about how many millions the TV boys can wring out of the sponsors who think a superbowl spot is a near religious experience.

http://members5.boardhost.com/Crow_On/msg/1170688034.html
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

QFT, no?

"O/T hope my ChiTown sister and brothers are keeping warm"

Hehehehe.....aside from the huge gas bill.....and all the long underwear........ I say it's F'in freezing out there!!! -3 degrees today with a wind chill of -24.
Layers....that's all I can say. Lots and lots of layers ;)

J-Dub.....I don't think I have ever seen you "whine"!!
Also, hope your dad is ok :)

~Annie (trying to stay warm in Chi-town!!)

Mine was $151 LAST month. This month will be $200, I'll bet, and I have a SMALL house!

heh, I CAN whine and might have on rare occasion, but it doesn't happen too often, and certainly not about sports. My usual response is, "I don't whine, I BITCH!" :)

Dad got out yesterday, all is well. My sister (who lives in Evanston) was complaining about how grumpy & ornery he was. Jeeze, he's been in the hospital for 2 weeks, had big time bypass surgery in his legs, and had to have the bone on his big toe shaved down. I'd be pissed and ornery too! Then you add a neurotic daughter around you morning, noon & night, give him time to breathe! Things are going well, I KNOW he can't wait to get home!

@J-Dubya 777: Okay, you have a point. The grief over the Stuporbowl loss shouldn't be kept bottled up inside. Thanks for posting your disappointment with some class. :) If you don't mind I'm going to quote the late great Chuck Schuldiner from one of his last offerings he gave us. This is a good one. =)

don't feed off a loss or a win the reward is to survive

Chuck was a very wise man.

By the way, you live in Cheeseland and you're not a Packers fan? Gaaaaah. Isn't that, like, blasphemy, or something, there in the Land o' Cheese?

Major blasphemy, but I don't care. :D It's worse the further up north you go.
North of Madison, I will not wear Bears lothing during any of the hunting seasons. :lol: I was born in Chicago and raised in Chicago (briefly) and it's 'burbs, so I've been brainwashed since I was little that green & gold is bad. :)

J-Dubya

:D Do you mean the dark blue Bears wear? I was under the impression that hunters must wear those bright orange jumpsuits so as to not get shot themselves by other hunters. Or am I misinformed?

I was born in Chicago and raised in Chicago (briefly) and it's 'burbs, so I've been brainwashed since I was little that green & gold is bad.

Ooooooh - good one! =) Good to know your dad will be okay, too. :)

:D Do you mean the dark blue Bears wear? I was under the impression that hunters must wear those bright orange jumpsuits so as to not get shot themselves by other hunters. Or am I misinformed?

Ooooooh - good one! =) Good to know your dad will be okay, too. :)

ANY Bears wear, unless I want to start trouble.....:lol:
Hunters are required to wear some kind of orange vest/hat/other clothing but it doesn't stop people from being shot/shot at every year. I TOTALLY respect a person's right to hunt, I hate "hunt clubs", but I don't hunt anymore myself.
Maybe it's just Gods way of clearing out the gene pool every once in a while.

Thanks for the well wishes on my Dad as well!

J-Dubya

Its all about the Benjamins
O/T sports in the Windy City
I see where the owners of the Chicago Cubs are going
to remove some (all?) of the ivy on the Wrigley out field wall
so some billboards/advisements can be displayed

Are the Bears really interested in Jeff Garcia?
If they want a Philadelphia Eagles Quarterback
they should go after Donovan McNabb, I believe he is from Chicago?

OK......so what the hell? They trade Thomas Jones to the jets for the 26th spot in the draft? They were 35th!! Like 26th is gonna make a bigger deal? I'm completely amazed and a little upset that I won't be seeing Thomas Jones next year playing as a Bear.....also, what the hell is going on with Lance Briggs? I don't get it......did all that new money go to Lovie's head? Did franchise player of the year go to Briggs' head? I'm at a loss :bah: Someone Pleeez explain it to me......

I think they share the same Agent. Seriously, the guy (I can't remember his name!) has a reputation for being a complete asshole...Wonder what kind of team we'll have this year? :(

OK......so what the hell? They trade Thomas Jones to the jets for the 26th spot in the draft? They were 35th!! Like 26th is gonna make a bigger deal? I'm completely amazed and a little upset that I won't be seeing Thomas Jones next year playing as a Bear.....also, what the hell is going on with Lance Briggs? I don't get it......did all that new money go to Lovie's head? Did franchise player of the year go to Briggs' head? I'm at a loss :bah: Someone Pleeez explain it to me......

Its all about the Benjamins(again)
Pro football is BIG business
My take on things
Lovie Smith, turned the Bears Franchise around, took them to the Super Bowl
signed a new contract, he is not in the top half of NFL coaches when come to salary
The Bears are known as a very frugal franchise
Lance Briggs wants to see his value on the open market, what wrong with that?
Bears gave him the 'franchise player tag', so he has to be paid the average of the
highest paid 3 player at his position which is $7.2 million for this year. Other teams can still
sign him but it will cost them 2 number 1 draft picks. Briggs wants Urlacher money.
Thomas Jones I don't understand this trade myself unless he is an unrestricted free agent after this season
and he can sign with any team and the Bears will get nothing? I thought he was a better running back than
Cedric Benson, plus he is a much better receiver than Cedric.
Remember Lovie put Jones behind Benson on the depth chart.
BTW the Bears traded Jones plus their second-round pick(63 overall) to the Jets in exchange for their second-round pick (37th overall)
The Jets gave Jones a $20 million contract extension

Go STEELERS :D