Day Jobs?

insidethefall said:
I think it's impossible for musicians not to have a day job, unless you're metallica or someone

I think it is very possible to make a living at it without having to be a Metallica.. afterall not everyone needs to be a millionaire to pay their bills... you just have to treat music as a business above all if you want to make a living at it.. make smart business decisions.. you may not make much in royalties (unless you start your own label or production company and release your band's music and other band's to make more then just the royalties) and such but you can make a living from touring, shirts, etc.. i can live on $50,000 a year so can a musician.. I'm sure the ex members of Emperor for example are doing ok living at it.. especially Samoth and Isahn... without having to be a multimillionaire ala Metallica...

Some employers are understanding about people doing the touring band thing. My friend Scott used to play in a band called Smile before he joined Fu Manchu and his employers had no problem with him taking a leave of absence for touring.

Hell, my boss let my old band use the back office for free to rehears before the other members drinking and drug habits screwed that up. :)

sumairetsu said:
Some employers are understanding about people doing the touring band thing. My friend Scott used to play in a band called Smile before he joined Fu Manchu and his employers had no problem with him taking a leave of absence for touring.

Hell, my boss let my old band use the back office for free to rehears before the other members drinking and drug habits screwed that up. :)

Having an understanding boss is a must. A few of my coworkers have a little metal band that tours florida here, and being in the military it kind of makes touring a huge pain in the ass, with deployments etc. But their bosses work with them and they take a full 30 days a year to do as much touring as possible.