Death Metal or Glam?

Metal IS ridiculous dude, death, black, glam, doom, thrash...is it all goofy.

You could say this about any music.

I find talking about "my money and my cars and my women" fucking retarded like goofy and his non existent dick.

Or songs about "the love of my life, the one that got away, the one that i want" stupid aswell, they are hardly moving or touching, they are usually just foolish lyrics of some desperate naive idiot.

What i'm trying to say is, in any genre of music, of any topic used in lyrics, they can all come across as goofy, lame, or down right shitfull, it is only a small amount of "talented" musicians/lyricists that can actually convey the message/emotion/effect intended properly.

opinions, opinions.

Give me three reasons why black metal is so good. Imo, it's pretty boring, and I've tried plenty of times to get into the genre, but I just can't. I've listened to Darkthrone, Immortal, old Bathory, Burzum, and Satryicon, and none of these bands appeal to me. Their just too repetitive, and most of the songs I've heard from these bands aren't really that intense. I don't know, maybe I'm just a moron that doesn't know what he's talking about. Either way, I don't like black metal.

Reason One:
Arcturus

Reason Two:
Naglfar (Blackened Death is close enough)

Reason Three:
Who doesn't like being grim and frostbitten (okay so maybe i couldn't think of any other BM bands because i don't listen to it...it doesn't mean it isn't good)

Glam metal is dead.
It died when it's following moved on to another fashion because that's all it ever was, fashion.
Now the New York Dolls on the other hand...

Give me three reasons why black metal is so good. Imo, it's pretty boring, and I've tried plenty of times to get into the genre, but I just can't. I've listened to Darkthrone, Immortal, old Bathory, Burzum, and Satryicon, and none of these bands appeal to me. Their just too repetitive, and most of the songs I've heard from these bands aren't really that intense. I don't know, maybe I'm just a moron that doesn't know what he's talking about. Either way, I don't like black metal.

I'll give you three reasons once you explain the appeal of Iron Maiden and Iced Earth.

I'll give you three reasons once you explain the appeal of Iron Maiden and Iced Earth.

Iron Maiden has a very unique sound which I tend to like, along with awesome solos, vocals (Bruce era), and lyrics. Some of their songs are pretty catchy as well.

Iced Earth also has an almost dark sound to their music, and are one of the few bands that can combine Power and Thrash metal and make it sound awesome. I also like the lyrical themes to many of Iced Earth's songs (not counting The Glorious Burden).

Both bands are original and unique when it comes to their sound.

Iron Maiden has a very unique sound which I tend to like, along with awesome solos, vocals (Bruce era), and lyrics. Some of their songs are pretty catchy as well.

Iced Earth also has an almost dark sound to their music, and are one of the few bands that can combine Power and Thrash metal and make it sound awesome. I also like the lyrical themes to many of Iced Earth's songs (not counting The Glorious Burden).

Both bands are original and unique when it comes to their sound.

you failed. originality and catchiness are not something I look for in the music I listen to. vocals? I don't like actual singing. and guitar solos are just an excuse to show off and masturbate.

you failed. originality and catchiness are not something I look for in the music I listen to. vocals? I don't like actual singing. and guitar solos are just an excuse to show off and masturbate.

Coming from someone who probably only listens to black and death metal.

Yeah, and unless a band uses cookie monster vocals, their not "metal enough" for "extreme metal" fans.

Well after all, black and death metal are the only forms of "extreme metal."

amirite?

Coming from someone who probably only listens to black and death metal.

Well after all, they are the only forms of "extreme metal."

amirite?

you forgot crossover thrash, noisecore and grindcore.

Just one more thing before I shut up, the term extreme metal is about as useless as the term classic rock.

Both are just labels, not genres.

Just one more thing before I shut up, the term extreme metal is about as useless as the term classic rock.

Both are just labels, not genres.
Extreme metal is a good descriptor that narrows things down. I find it baffling that people always try to dismiss labels especially one as broad as this. Extreme metal is a more specific term than metal, and therefore has a use.