Duran Duran enters the charts at number 3!

John Silver

Jul 21, 2002
Visit site
Well like I expected the new album wasn't good as all that on the first listen. But there's atleast one classic mellow track in the olde Duran tradition. And they keep things interesting enough in some of the other songs as well. The cool thing though is, just like every other album they've made this one is different.

Kick ass!

I plan on picking it up this weekend - the limited edition with the live DVD.
I've only heard the single so far, and absolutely love it!

However, I doubt that they'll ever again be able to repeat the magic found in either the "Rio" or "Meddazaland" releases.

But hey, any DD is better than about 90% of the music out there today.

Best DD tunes:
"Midnight Sun" (one of the best songs...ever)
"The Chauffer"
"Save A Prayer"

True, this won't give you the same thrill of listening to Rio but its still great, especially the last track Still Breathing. Moody, depressing Duran in the style of Midnight sun, Sap. This album is mainly electro pop.

To tell you the truth I only normally listen to half the tunes on Medazzaland. But those are superb! Have you heard the alt version of Midnight Sun yet? Which are your fave tracks from Medazzaland?

My best DD tunes:

Save a prayer
Midnight Sun (both versions)
Lonely in your nightmare
New Religion (live from 'Arena')
Winter Marches on
Secret Oktober (live '97)

SoundMaster said:
Kick ass!

But hey, any DD is better than about 90% of the music out there today.
"
That's no lie. Cool that you can get the limited edition DVD. There's also a proper concert DVD coming out some time soon.

I've been on this board for a while, but I've never, EVER, understood the random Duran Duran threads.

Yeh, Rio's great, but what gives? Fill me in, please!

You can blame it on me. Soundmaster is as big a fan as I am but I had this tradition of posting frequent Duran threads on the official Maiden bb. Everything you had there came here, including the Duran threads.

:)

I've NEVER heard the alt version of "Midnight Sun"! Where can I find it? What release is it found on???

As for the DD threads, they're simply a great band. And I'll explain why:

- in my view, what seperates Metal from most other music is the kickass attention given to actually being a musician (in most cases). The focus in metal is ALWAYS on the quality of the songwriting, the actual playing by each member, and the overall "outsider" vibe that (most) metal portrays. And, above all, metal is ripe with emotion. Much "pop" music displays ZERO emotion, in my view.

Duran Duran, although not metal in the 'metallic' sense, really do encompass the other traits listed above.
Their music is dark, yet satirical. It's almost never cheesy (save the silly "Wild Boys" & "Ragged Tiger"). And, their music spews emotion by the bucket.

The 1997 tune, "Midnight Sun" is simply a gorgeous song. Any fan of bands such as Anathema, the Gathering, etc., should absolutely LOVE this track.

As for actual playing, check out the bass playing of John Taylor. The guy's phenomenal! The "Rio" album is very heavily bass-driven.

DD's music just has this great "vibe" (or sound, or feeling....call it what you will) that's not often found elsewhere.

SoundMaster said:
I've NEVER heard the alt version of "Midnight Sun"! Where can I find it? What release is it found on???
It's never been officialy released.

I believe this is it. It says its a demo but it sound full produced to me.

http://213.225.89.158/klaus/durn/midnight.mp3

I'm curious now. Are you familiar with Duran rarities like I believe (all I need to know), the live updated version of Secret Oktober etc?

http://www.duranduran.no/downloads.html

great audio & vid dowloads.

I DID forget about this thread.

Anyway, i just played the alt version of "Midnite Sun".....thanks.

The first half was weaker than the album version, but I really liked the guitar in the 'second half'. Great song!!

By the way, I've still yet to pick up the new one. I've heard most of it and am a tad disappointed. It really does sound more 'poppy' and without the great dark edge that their music usually contains. I will get it eventually though.