Evergrey's New Album: A Return to Form?

I'm sure as we've all been fans of Evergrey (atleast enjoyed 1 album, some of us all, some of us everything up until MMA) they will do some albums we'll enjoy. Priest is a great band but they've had their bumps in the road, Point of Entry. Helloween had Pink Bubbles and Chameleon. The band i'm sure just wants to do something different for a while, it can only make going back to that more specific Evergrey style more fresh.

I'm sure I won't be checking your band anytime soon. If you support MMA, your band probably doesn't sound any better than that.

Blind fans... everything their idols do is perfect.

WAKE UP! Inner Circle isn't about shred! Inner Circle is about great and inspired musicianship, songwriting, playing.... so is Recreantion Day, and most of the other albums.

It sucks pretty hard and so does Dreaded Silence, although I won't ever listen to this shit.

Actually, I know two guys who kind of liked Evergrey prior to MMA, and opened their eyes got totally EG fans when they heard the latest release.

If they do it right, I don't care when the new album will come out. Honestly. I can wait 1000009389043 years for Evergrey. But please don't rush things out, don't hire Bon Jovi and Def Leppard producers (they're good to those bands, not to Evergrey).

Please, do the production yourselves or maybe bring back Andy LaRocque and/or hire Andy Sneap, Neil Kernon, this kind of producers.

Sanken Sandquist and Stefan Glaumann were to Evergrey what Bob Rock was to Metallica. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Monday Morning Apocalypse is to Evergrey what Load and Reload were to Metallica, but... MMA would be to Evergrey like something in-between Black Album and Load to Metallica.

Hopefully the next step is not Evergrey's "Load". Because if it is, I won't press Reload, that's for sure. Evergrey will be done to me.

makes sense to me.
as a newbie to this forum i acnt believe the fan base evergrey has.
FUCK

Do the members of this forum represent Evergrey fan basis? Somehow yes, but not completely. I'm a newbie here, not a newbie to Evergrey.

MMA is not a good album. It's surprising to see it's the favorite Evergrey album of some people.

it's still a hell of a lot better than most bands can ever hope for.

it's still a hell of a lot better than most bands can ever hope for.

It's better than most albums I've bought over the last 20 years. Basically, I think Evergrey raised the expectations tremendously by always delivering excellent stuff. This might do it hard for some people to make a sound judgement on the quality of the songs. I also recall the tremendous bitching that arouse when Recreation Day came out, not to mention The Inner Circle.

By the way, MMA is not my favourite album; however I recognize that there are some really strong tunes on it. Most bands only get to have one.

I'm sure I won't be checking your band anytime soon. If you support MMA, your band probably doesn't sound any better than that.

Blind fans... everything their idols do is perfect.

WAKE UP! Inner Circle isn't about shred! Inner Circle is about great and inspired musicianship, songwriting, playing.... so is Recreantion Day, and most of the other albums.

It sucks pretty hard and so does Dreaded Silence, although I won't ever listen to this shit.

Sure, sure. I was being sarcastic, in case you couldn't tell by the over the top leet speak. Even the slightest mention of MMA makes 20 people on this forum have seizures at the thought of streamlined song structure and more obvious hooks. I don't necessarily mind that, but I judge each release on its own merits, not on how it stacks up to the rest of a band's catalogue.

I certainly like the older stuff better, and I hated MMA until a couple of months ago, but I'm not going to start flaming people because they like it. You obviously can't deal with other people's opinions, which is fine, that's your right. As for my band "sucking", well, thanks for the thought. We got a pretty decent reaction when we opened for Katatonia and Daylight Dies the other month, so a little jab on a messageboard isn't going to ruin my day or anything. You win at teh intarweb.

When I first heard EG it was in summer 2003 I think,listening through RD. This was the first time in my life that a band "found" ME. Their music stuck to me just like that. Everyone has a band that is a huge part of their life.A band that even makes you change your way of thinking,beliefs and even lifesyle,concerning me.

I bought every album,and I could't finf ONE song I didn't love.after listening through the albums over and over,the old favourite songs simply became equal to all th others,even with the inner circle,as some here has critiziest.

When a band becomes a huge part of your life,as a fan, one is bound to be dissapointed when they change their style,even just a little,because it was the music before that we loved so intensly. I WAS sad,when I heard MMA,simply because it didn't sound like RD or ISOF...honestly,and I know thats selfish,but when you love their previous music so much,you just can't help it. But I learned to love MMA,though only as a good record...not the same way I loved the previous ones. So to tell the truth, IM nervous about the next album, cause I really want to hear MORE from the style that affected ME. And I think this is why it's hard for fans to accept that a band that DOESN'T evolve and change,just to keep their fans,are the true sellouts.

In times like this you just have to think that;"hey,the old ones are still there" you know? Let us all try not to compare the albums,and just listen to them as seperate EG productions,and we'll feel better. And I think I speak for alot of you out there :)

cause I really want to hear MORE from the style that affected ME. And I think this is why it's hard for fans to accept that a band that DOESN'T evolve and change,just to keep their fans,are the true sellouts.

That's the main problem. When a band change its style, they come with this thing of "evolving". Bullshit. Some bands do evolve a lot changing their styles, but this is definitely NOT what happened to Evergrey in MMA. Unless you're considering evolution every and any change. There's no evolution in the songwriting, singing, guitar playing, drumming, bass playing, and keyboards.

Right from the start it's clear that MMA is about a band sounding more accessible, and trying... trying REALLY HARD to make something that can please the American market, or at least get them a bit bigger in Europe.

Unsuccessful try... fortunately. Otherwise they would be recording another weak album such as MMA to keep on selling well in the U.S. They don't need to repeat In Search Of Truth, to do another song like "Nosferatu". They can change, but if they change, they must evolve. They didn't evolve in MMA. This is just a way they found to convince the fans that the album was still good. Cut the crackle. Canned tuna, canned music, that's what MMA is all about.

well, as Tom says in the limited edition of the SDT, Their first appearence in the us was the powermad festival. the band was very happy with the gig and it certainly paid off in the long run. has anyone in the band ever mentioned making MMA for the sake of the us market? or do you have sales numbers from the us saying there not selling the other albums? EG has done a couple of tours in the us and their name has gotten bigger for every time. they wouldnt tour the us if no one showed up. They have a growing fan base in the us because of their previous albums so why change the winning team? And if they were sellouts, why did they do a uk tour with 100 people showing up on every show? Can you tell me a band that doesnt have one weak album in their catalogue?

Sure, sure. I was being sarcastic, in case you couldn't tell by the over the top leet speak. Even the slightest mention of MMA makes 20 people on this forum have seizures at the thought of streamlined song structure and more obvious hooks. I don't necessarily mind that, but I judge each release on its own merits, not on how it stacks up to the rest of a band's catalogue.

I certainly like the older stuff better, and I hated MMA until a couple of months ago, but I'm not going to start flaming people because they like it. You obviously can't deal with other people's opinions, which is fine, that's your right. As for my band "sucking", well, thanks for the thought. We got a pretty decent reaction when we opened for Katatonia and Daylight Dies the other month, so a little jab on a messageboard isn't going to ruin my day or anything. You win at teh intarweb.

That's a good answer mister:)And if you opened for Katatonia your band must be nothing but good;)

That's the main problem. When a band change its style, they come with this thing of "evolving". Bullshit. Some bands do evolve a lot changing their styles, but this is definitely NOT what happened to Evergrey in MMA. Unless you're considering evolution every and any change. There's no evolution in the songwriting, singing, guitar playing, drumming, bass playing, and keyboards.

Right from the start it's clear that MMA is about a band sounding more accessible, and trying... trying REALLY HARD to make something that can please the American market, or at least get them a bit bigger in Europe.

Unsuccessful try... fortunately. Otherwise they would be recording another weak album such as MMA to keep on selling well in the U.S. They don't need to repeat In Search Of Truth, to do another song like "Nosferatu". They can change, but if they change, they must evolve. They didn't evolve in MMA. This is just a way they found to convince the fans that the album was still good. Cut the crackle. Canned tuna, canned music, that's what MMA is all about.

I know,and I agree. EG did not "evolve" as musicians on MMA, but maybe as people. Still, nagging about how bad it is is pointless,so instead just take comfort in that before MMA came out there was nothing but the old ones, so one really shouldnt bother with hating the new record and just ignore it and listen to the old,good stuff;)

well, as Tom says in the limited edition of the SDT, Their first appearence in the us was the powermad festival. the band was very happy with the gig and it certainly paid off in the long run. has anyone in the band ever mentioned making MMA for the sake of the us market? or do you have sales numbers from the us saying there not selling the other albums? EG has done a couple of tours in the us and their name has gotten bigger for every time. they wouldnt tour the us if no one showed up. They have a growing fan base in the us because of their previous albums so why change the winning team? And if they were sellouts, why did they do a uk tour with 100 people showing up on every show? Can you tell me a band that doesnt have one weak album in their catalogue?

Kuksug! here, wich apparently is either norwegian or swedish, has a point. Theres no reason why this seventh album shouldn't be better than MMA.